Forest Fires, Working "Bambi-buckets" and a CL 415 Super scooper !

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My personal view is any aircraft added to DCS is a bonus, I like civilian as much as I like military. I would like to see civilian roles for aircraft and helicopters added in the future, anything

No it’s really not. It’s a combat simulation game. It says so in the name. And in the Devs own description.  “Our dream is to offer the most authentic and realistic simulation of military aircraft,

Just amazed by the response to this post!!!   As a note, you can have bambie buckets as a cargo from one of the mods, and adjust the weight.  The most recent update also has a trigger to stop a "fire

As much as I would love to see any waterplane, including and especially the CL 415, they would all require water physics improvement first. Which is probably not easy.

A water bucket (or internal water tank) for helo's might be low hanging fruit though.

That'd be awesome!

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ No war today... the enemy just called in sick ~ GUMMBAH

My thing is, I think ED does so much better work on flight physics than those "other" sims.  So I'm happy to see any aircraft come into DCS.  Yes, DCS has some things lacking, but I've flown in nearly every sim there is, and DCS so far seems to have the best physics.  Probably why it takes them so long to make an aircraft.

• Like 1

I don’t know what’s not to like...

The usual suspects explaining what the C in DCS stand for is as tiring as usual, but doesn’t really apply here...

Think of it another way - it could be a route in to some interesting military aircraft and low level ops: C-130, UH-60, S-64/CF-54, PBY, plus a lot more👍

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, sirrah said:

As much as I would love to see any waterplane, including and especially the CL 415, they would all require water physics improvement first. Which is probably not easy.

A water bucket (or internal water tank) for helo's might be low hanging fruit though.

Pun intended? 😛  

A water bucket should indeed be pretty easy to create — it's effectively just another liftable object, and the two things that would set it apart is that it can vary in weight and that there needs to be a water detection feature attached to it. The former can kind of be done with scripting already, but it would affect the helo rather than the bucket, which obviously puts the pendulum mass in the wrong place; the latter has to exist in some form, or vehicles wouldn't be able to drive into water and explode.

The real question is what sea physics would actually entail. At the moment, it just seems to be sitting the extreme end of “tarmac -> packed ground -> loose ground -> water” in terms of exactly how much aircraft get stuck and/or explode when they come into contact with it. Water planes would obviously have to half-reverse that relationship, and the drag would have to be set properly (especially with the scoop open)… but aside from that? Bobbing in the waves and the ability to crash into specific crests if you're going too fast and/or in the wrong direction? Bits of it are in already, so it might not be quite as huge an issue as it firsts seems since a decent amount of parts are already in place.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tippis said:

...Bobbing in the waves and the ability to crash into specific crests if you're going too fast and/or in the wrong direction? Bits of it are in already, so it might not be quite as huge an issue as it firsts seems since a decent amount of parts are already in place.

This is the main issue for me as far as physics are concerned - at the moment stuff doesn't actually interact with the water properly - there's no buoyancy model (not sure how to describe it). 

I haven't done much testing  in 2.7, but from what I gather from testing it previously is that the 'bobbing' is completely random, with a magnitude dependent on wind speed (and it only does pitching and rolling, I'm not sure it does translations).

With larger vessels this isn't as noticeable (unless you really make massive waves), but with smaller vessels, it can look pretty wrong - with motions and waves not matching up.

That and we don't have any sinking mechanics (which might be useful even for amphibious aircraft like the cl-415), when stuff sinks it just follows a pre-scripted motion - meaning they'll sink the same way in the same time, every single time (the only thing in 2.7 is that sunken ships are more persistent - they'll sink to the sea floor and stay there, previously they disappeared with a large splash). 

Something akin to Cold Waters for example would be desirable here.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Hi!

Just wanted to add my vote to this, I for one am flying DCS and helo's due to the fantastic flight model of the UH1, and am now about 150 hours into DCS and have not fired a single gun yet.

Slicks all the way!

I would love to see expended capabilities on firefighting, CSAR, etc.

The SAR multiplayer server is a ton of fun, and they've done a pretty decent job, but it definitely has its limits.

anyways, +10000000 on this 😄

• Thanks 2
On 4/24/2021 at 1:04 PM, Northstar98 said:

I'm just going to throw these in here, just in case we're worried about the acronym...

350a7c7b5bd4d6752644c2706571edaf.jpg

120410-A-LS130-0087.jpg?1527793600

Hopefully we can get a Fire Hawk variant whenever the Black Hawk comes to DCS. Or there could be a possibility of getting the Fire Hawk first if Cal Fire contracts ED to make them one for simulator training. Anyone know someone over at Cal Fire? jaja

Edited by Evoman
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, CyclicNL said:

Hi!

Just wanted to add my vote to this, I for one am flying DCS and helo's due to the fantastic flight model of the UH1, and am now about 150 hours into DCS and have not fired a single gun yet.

Slicks all the way!

I would love to see expended capabilities on firefighting, CSAR, etc.

The SAR multiplayer server is a ton of fun, and they've done a pretty decent job, but it definitely has its limits.

anyways, +10000000 on this 😄

you missing out on some serious fireworks

Intel 8086k o/c 5.4ghz | 32gb GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200 ram | Asus Z370 Maximus X Formula| Asus TUF 3080Ti | eVGA 1000w psu | MFG Crosswinds | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate / Virpil MongoosT50 | Dell 34" UHD Curved monitor | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 10 Pro

Since everyone is bragging about what modules, campaigns and terrain they have, heres my list: ALL OF THEM.

Utley | Yeast | 402 JTF 13 Home 

JTF-13 Recruiting | My wallpaper and skins

Just amazed by the response to this post!!!   As a note, you can have bambie buckets as a cargo from one of the mods, and adjust the weight.  The most recent update also has a trigger to stop a "fire effect".  So in regards to making a mission with helo's and buckets, triggered actions could start some spot fires, then require the hover parameters to be met, cancel the smoke and fire effect.  Then trigger a white smoke effect (Steam).  The first page of this post shows an SAR server, they have a neat script.

Even without a 3rd party MOD for a CL-415, or special effects for the Helo's water buckets, I think there is an ability to make some cool scenarios.

I have some ability with the mission editor and it's triggers, but not with scripting.  There should be enough talent out there to get a MOD together, that brings these existing options together.

If I win the lottery, I will pay a 3rd party to make the CL-415 DCS quality.  Final note: To all those quoting "Combat Sim", somebody has to put out the fires that War causes.

• Like 5

If we could get the functionality I requested in this thread added, we could do some really cool stuff with dynamic fires in DCS fire fighting missions

• Like 1

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I just ran across this great video of the Air tractor Fire Boss firefighting variant that I had to post here. It can be outfitted with either landing gear or pontoons so that it can scoop up water from lakes.  Something like this would interest many new people world wide to DCS that other wise would not had giving DCS a consideration.

And to further backup the Air tractors Street cred it also has a military combat variant called the Archangel.

archangel-lomax_71264.jpg

Edited by Evoman
  • Like 2

off topic removed. 

Talk about Forest Fires, Working "Bambi-buckets" and a CL 415 Super scooper !

if its not about that move on please. 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Posted (edited)

e: Removed because the post was deleted.

Anyway, this kind of expansion of the physics engine; improving the tasking list and usefulness of helos as a unit class; creating more world interaction and SFX would have pretty universally applicable uses. It's pretty easy to come up with ideas how, even outside of the purpose of fire-fighting, these capabilities could be used to spice up regular missions and campaigns.

I'm getting nasty Far Cry 2 flashbacks as far as… ehm… creative… uses you can have for triggered large-scale fires. Yum. 😄

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

THANK YOU!

Intel 8086k o/c 5.4ghz | 32gb GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200 ram | Asus Z370 Maximus X Formula| Asus TUF 3080Ti | eVGA 1000w psu | MFG Crosswinds | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate / Virpil MongoosT50 | Dell 34" UHD Curved monitor | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 10 Pro

Since everyone is bragging about what modules, campaigns and terrain they have, heres my list: ALL OF THEM.

Utley | Yeast | 402 JTF 13 Home 

JTF-13 Recruiting | My wallpaper and skins