VR Oculus Quest 2 with low configuration

GCDV31

Hello,

I have not a very powerfull computer (ASUS ROG Strix 15 - i5 8300H / 2.3 GHz turbo 3.9Ghz– 16 Go RAM –– GF GTX 1050 Ti 4Go) I spend many hours on internet to find a solution to  play with good FPS with my Oculus Quest 2 but it’s very.

I would like to know what is the best choice when you have a computer like me :

-        Run standalone DCS version with Virtual Desk top

-        Run Stream and select SteamVR version

-        Run Steam and select Oculus version

I saw that it’s possible to play DCS in VR with my computer (http://cuany.ch/?p=7334).

I try many settings with OTT Oculus debug Tool, graphic setting in Oculus home (80MHz, 90MHz,…), AWS off, Pixel density in DCS,…. It’s playable but note very nice…

DO you have some tips for low configuration ?

I know the best solution is to change my PC but It’s not the right moment.

By

I'm not very familiar with the Oculus side of the house, and you already know your computer is not ideal. 

What would help is understanding what your settings are now, some expectations; shadows & MSAA are probably unrealistic on that hardware. 

Given your hardware limitations have a look at my 3090 guide's hygiene section (check my signature block), I would strongly recommend the use of Kegetys shaders as offering a significant  performance improvement for a compromise in some graphics capability (that on your hardware you won't be using anyway).

There are a lot of guide out there on tuning DCS, from all of them I would say click on the VR presets and start with those and vary one thing and measure it using what ever tools you have available, before you change the next one thing.  Be methodical, and be driven by data,  it reaps benefits.   

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I would try to keep it as simple as possible. So DCS standalone and the link cable. And without the overheads of any other software running. That means don't bother with OTT debug tool or anything like that. I just use the keyboard shortcut: ctrl-Keypad1 to disable ASW.

• ctrl-keypad1 ASW Disabled.
  • ctrl-keypad2 Force 45 fps no ASW.
  • ctrl-keypad3 Force 45 fps with ASW.
  • ctrl-keypad4 Enabled ASW auto.

In your Oculus link cable settings just have it set to default 72Hz and 3712 X 1872 or try 90Hz and 3712 x 1872 and check if you lose any FPS at 90Hz.

I use 90Hz and 3712 x 1872. I have ran 90Hz and turned the slider up to 5408 x 2736 in the past but surprisingly I haven't noticed much difference in clarity at the lower 3712 x 1872 but I get much better FPS.

Just make sure in DCS settings you have MSA x2. It does take a performance hit but it looks horrible and jagged without it. You will have to turn some other DCS settings down to compensate. I like to keep Textures on high but set Terrain texture set to low and shadows to flat, I keep my cockpit at 1024, SSAA off, SSLR off, SSAO off, Anisotropic filtering x16 ( I don't think it has a big performance hit but you can try it lower).

Forest Visibility/Forest Details Factor/Scenery Details Factor/Preload Radius - turn them down. I have mine all set you around 75% of the slider but experiment what works for you, try lower or higher. 

Basically, run your Quest 2 at default 72Hz (try 90Hz) and 3712 x 1872, and as many settings turned down in DCS as you can bear. But try and keep MSAA on, cockpit on 1024, Textures on High and ASW off. 

Edit: I would add also, in DCS VR settings keep PD at 1.0. Anything lower looks horrible and anything higher kills performance.

And set Gamma to 2.2, which I believe is the default. I used to think this was too bright but once you're used to it it can greatly enhance the visibility and readability of some of the switches and instruments, especially in the darker cockpits, like the M2000.

Edited by AlpineGTA

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Tank you Alpine GTA,

I tried 72Hz and 3712x1872 with PD at 1.0 in DCS and MSAAx2 and it’s better !!!

Roads, buildings and cockpit are still sparkling/glinting and some time trees are jerky when I move my head quickly or when I look left or right at low altitude but it playable!

I have a question about ASW, how did you do to create shortcut ? Which software did you use ?

Thank you speed-of-heat I looked the link in your signature but it’s too complicated for mee.

I'm glad it worked for you. I think DCS can still run and look pretty good in VR with those settings.

To enable or disable ASW just Alt+Tab from your DCS game window to your Oculus software window, press ctrl+keypad1 to disable ASW, then simply Alt+Tab back to your DCS Window. That's it, you don't need any other software.

A simple way to check whether it's disabled or not is to press F3 and watch the fly-by view. If the plane flies past the camera smoothly without any stuttering or ghosting then you have ASW disabled. At least that's how it works on my system. It may still stutter a bit if you're in a mission with lots of AI units so it's best to check it in a simple instant action mission, something like a free flight with only you flying around.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Using OQ2 with a Dell G5 with 16GB Ram and RTX 2060 with petite 6GB VRAM, also have a third-party USB C cable. Not much better than yours. OQ2 runs at 90Hz at 1.3x resolution.

Used to fly using Steam version. Unfortunately, the OB 2.7 failed to start at all, so I switched to standalone.

Virtual Desktop (Oculus version) works only if you use SteamVR wirelessly and I cannot make it to work now. Shame. I am sticking with Oculus Link for now.

As for the VR engine, I tried both SteamVR and Oculus VR, with the same setting, the Oculus VR runs slightly better, it looks smoother but SteamVR is shaper.

I used to have OTT before, but here, I find it totally trashes the frame rate, even with all the settings turn to lowest.

I use 2 VR mods here: "VR Shader Mod for Better VR Experience" by Kegetys, and "3Dmigoto VR Enhancer".

The thing I do not understand is: the menu runs at 90fps and no matter the setting I use, the frame rate during flight tops at 45/46 fps. It may something to do with the refresh rate setting of the headset. I now have V28 and waits for the 120Hz option to work with Oculus Link.

Sorry, just straight out from my thoughts, not very much organised.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Hello VFGiPJP, I tried 3 solutions to play in VR : Oculus link, Steam VR + Virtual Desktop and virtual desktop with the launcher (right clic on VR, select launch game and run DCS.EXE).

The best for me it's Oculus link with the tips fo AlpineGTA.

About VR Mods : VR shader and 3Dmigoto what does it change ? Are there very efficient ?

If yes do you have a good tuto for Noob ?

For the mods, it makes things look a bit better, smoother and a few FPS gain, may be, but a busy Super Carrier deck is still very bad. 🙂

I think everyone is his/her own school. Here is a performance vid lately with 2.7 which may be helpful:

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.