Just a humble question about a cockpit equipment

Marko.H

I know it might sound stupid but I didn't find any answers on the net. next to the Su-27 HUD there is a tube connected to a pericscope-looking device facing down. is it the camera? if it is, why isn't it facing forward like the one in Su-25 and is facing down?

Hello there,

I hope I won't say something stupid but here I go:

This part of the cockpit is the projection part of the HUD. The glass in front of the pilot is just a glass, and in front of the glass, there is an horizontal lens. The tubs is for cable management 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 11:40 AM, BlackPixxel said:

I think that actually two cameras or at least lenses are used.

The one you see films downwards to get the HUD projection directly, and that video is then overlayed with a forward facing lens.

As far as I'm aware this is correct. What you see is a combiner lens which records footage through the HUD. One lens faces forwards and the other faces down to record what the HUD is showing. When the camera operates, e.g. when the gun is fired, the combiner lens combines the HUD and forward images.

• Like 1

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.