Quest 2 and 2.7

TheCrysinator

One exciting new feature on the Quest is keyboard tracking.  I think this is going to be a gamechanger for simmers, imagine being able to see your keyboard (or your other peripherals/MFDs/button boxes) from within the game.  I hope Oculus keeps expanding the list of supported keyboards but this makes me want to buy the Logitech K830 keyboard right now.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

18 hours ago, lemoen said:

It works in game, also in other games. 

Yep, my bad, it does indeed work in game, no need to Alt+Tab in and out. I'm pretty sure it never used to though, maybe it changed in an update, I hadn't tried doing it in game in ages.

But ASW off definitely works best and plays more smoothly for me. As, I've mentioned previously, trying the F3 fly by, with ASW on, the plane ghosts, with ASW off, it flies by smoothly with no ghosting. But perhaps what you see is just dependent on your system.

I can't get the FPS counter up in the corner of the screen now though since they changed the UI overlay in the latest OB update. Is there a way to get it back in the settings?

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Yep, my bad, it does indeed work in game, no need to Alt+Tab in and out. I'm pretty sure it never used to though, maybe it changed in an update, I hadn't tried doing it in game in ages.

But ASW off definitely works best and plays more smoothly for me. As, I've mentioned previously, trying the F3 fly by, with ASW on, the plane ghosts, with ASW off, it flies by smoothly with no ghosting. But perhaps what you see is just dependent on your system.

I can't get the FPS counter up in the corner of the screen now though since they changed the UI overlay in the latest OB update. Is there a way to get it back in the settings?

ASW ghosts for me in flybys and stuff BUT, if I switch it off, when I move my head side to side in the cockpit, everything ghosts (everything makes a double that is one frame behind), with ASW on it does not, plus it looks like 90, not 45, so it is significantly smoother. I'll take the artifacting (that ghosting).

They've changed the shortcut to rctrl pause for the frame rate counter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lemoen said:

They've changed the shortcut to rctrl pause for the frame rate counter.

Yes, I sussed it. I used to have it as left ctrl pause. Thanks.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Got things working relatively smoothly in my Quest 2 using Air-Link! Look ma, No Cables!

Had to crank down the Encode Bitrate to 0 (default). I had it up to 500 with the cable, but Air LInk Virtual Desktop was unstable at anything 200 or above. Similarly, had to leave it at 72 Hz.  I left Encode Resolution width at 3946. Pixel Density in DCS at 1.2 and Resolution in QUEST APP at 1.1

Set to 45 Hz no ASW  (not locked) and framerate counter in DCS showed steady 36 FPS, but it seemed like more, Was zipping my F/A-18 at Treetop altitude in the Caucasus without noticeable stutter. May have looked a little clearer with the cable and higher bitrate, but honestly it was pretty good with Air Link.

MSAA 2X Anisotropic 16X

I have been messing around with the Scaling (DCS IPD) and not really noticing MUCH difference. Hornet cockpit looks good. In the Harrier, I feel like I am too LOW. The top rear view mirror is above my head, but I cranked UP the seat using the camera controls so I could just see my helmet and the HUD was still where it was fully visible. Clarity of DDI's is not as good in the Harrier no matter what I do, but I gather that is common since one of the 2.6 updates.

Edited by Recluse

46 minutes ago, Recluse said:

I have been messing around with the Scaling (DCS IPD) and not really noticing MUCH difference. Hornet cockpit looks good. In the Harrier, I feel like I am too LOW. The top rear view mirror is above my head, but I cranked UP the seat using the camera controls so I could just see my helmet and the HUD was still where it was fully visible. 

@Recluse this might help

Thanks! I read that, which was what initially inspired me to try messing with the settings.  I tried values from 55 - 70 (my measured IPD is 62.8) and honestly didn't notice much difference, though in the Harrier, I did manage to make the cockpit look A LITTLE cozier. 

To me, the apparent size of the throttle/stick didn't really change all that much (OOPS  that was in another thread! I will try your seat measurment test)  In the F/A-18, I ejected while on the runway and then walked around the jet. Great fun if you haven't tried this.  Jet did look a little bigger than I thought it should based on videos and having walked around static displays at airshows and such, but I didn't do a good set of IPD experiments under those conditions.  Haven't tried it in the Harrier.

The main thing that breaks my immersion is seeing the rudder pedals much farther away than my own feet are on my pedals 🙂

Edited by Recluse

On 4/21/2021 at 1:53 PM, AlpineGTA said:

I use: ctrl-keypad1 to disable ASW.

Here are all the keyboard shortcuts:

• ctrl-keypad1 ASW Disabled.
  • ctrl-keypad2 Force 45 fps no ASW.
  • ctrl-keypad3 Force 45 fps with ASW.
  • ctrl-keypad4 Enabled ASW auto.

You have to Alt+Tab to the Oculus software window before you do it though, then Alt+Tab back to DCS, otherwise it won't take effect.

I definitely find it runs with less to no stutters for me with ASW disabled. An easy way to check is to go to F3 view. If your plane flies past smoothly then you have ASW disabled. If you see stutters or ghosting as it flies past then ASW is not disabled. At least that's how I can tell on my system.

After I disable it in-cockpit, during the F/A-18C Training 1, I go from 39-45 all the way to 39-52, same setting, after disabling ASW! Wow! Great tips. Now I constantly get 30+ flying over downtown Beirut below 500ft AGL.

Question: do I have to disable it every time during DCS? If so, when, in the menu or in the cockpit? Also, is there a way to disable it once and for all? Disable it in Oculus Debug tool seems not working for me.

Thanks.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I am using Quest 2 Airlink (Q2 v28, Oculus PC v29) using SteamVR but I am also using the Oculus Debug Tool to set ASW and Performance HUD. How is that working?? I thought you had to be ONLY Oculus OR SteamVR. I know that Steam is executing because fpsVR is visible and I know Oculus is running with ODT because I see the performance HUD (and can change it without restarting DCS) - surprise! Also, I am getting very smooth ASW with minimal artifacting and very fluid performance (other AI aircraft are double images at times though). I have MSAA=4X and I can still keep locked at 36fps (PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070) with Q2 set at 72Hz. Really, this new combo with Airlink looks better and fies smoother than I have seen in a long time! Also, the clarity of the image with PD=0.9 is very good - all instruments look great 

How can this (Oculus and SteamVR) be working together??????????????

Edited by whitav8

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

14 hours ago, whitav8 said:

I am using Quest 2 Airlink (Q2 v28, Oculus PC v29) using SteamVR but I am also using the Oculus Debug Tool to set ASW and Performance HUD. How is that working?? I thought you had to be ONLY Oculus OR SteamVR. I know that Steam is executing because fpsVR is visible and I know Oculus is running with ODT because I see the performance HUD (and can change it without restarting DCS) - surprise! Also, I am getting very smooth ASW with minimal artifacting and very fluid performance (other AI aircraft are double images at times though). I have MSAA=4X and I can still keep locked at 36fps (PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070) with Q2 set at 72Hz. Really, this new combo with Airlink looks better and fies smoother than I have seen in a long time! Also, the clarity of the image with PD=0.9 is very good - all instruments look great 

How can this (Oculus and SteamVR) be working together??????????????

I have the standalone version of DCS so not sure how SteamVR interacts with Oculus, but it seems that the Oculus software is directly affecting any LINK that is made, while STEAMVR might affect other settings concurrently?  I also "fly" Elite Dangerous  via STEAM (which is absolutely STUNNING in VR and that uses SteamVR. I haven't messed with any of the STEAM VR settings because Elite has to launch in a wonky way through the LINK virtual desktop from STEAM  and autoloads STEAMVR in the background. For some reason it won't launch properly FROM the STEAMVR platform.

EDIT: Adding on here rather than making a new post:

I noticed that with exactly the same settings, I get higher framerates in the F/A-18C than I do in the AV8BNA Harrier.  Consistent 36 in the Hornet, and 30 or lower in the Harrier.  Transient issue or has anyone else noticed it? Still seems to be relatively smooth and maybe I wouldn't notice it without the framerate counter running.

Edited by Recluse

Colonel_Izzi on reddit says:

When running SteamVR apps on Quest2+(Air)Link, the Oculus PC runtime still handles the final stages in the rendering pipeline, where ASW,FOV-Tangent Multiplier, ASW, etc can be performed

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)