Disk Space and Bloat - Any Solutions?

It official.. DCS and Windows will not fit on a 120gb ssd.  

Is there any DCS bloat and Windows bloat I can safely delete.. so i can play this game.

As much as possible, but at least a few gigs. I just spent 10 dollars in data reinstalling, I'd like to fly somehing more than the Frogfoot.

(Chrome was downloaded and folder deleted just so I could update Dcs world, perhaps Google Chrome hides a couple gigs outside the Chrome folder? Idk)

Windows alone requires at least 20 GB. I assume your PC has only one drive? If not, you can easily move DCS to another drive.

The quickest way to make room in DCS is to uninstall unused modules (maps and/or aircraft).

Use Space Monger. It's free, light, and very useful to get some free space (link is at the bottom of the linked page).

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

You can debloat Windows 10, by running this power shell script:

https://christitus.com/debloat-windows-10-2020/

very effective 😀

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Fresh system reinstall, chrome download, trackir3 download, DCS world download.  Maxed the drive.

I had to delete the chrome folder just to run the mandatory update.

Even the mi8 0.7 gig module is too big.

I have 1tb hard drive but it makes the game visuals jittery, it hangs, even on low settings it takes 30+ seconds for the game to settle when first loading.

120 GB ssd.. 80gigs of DCS, 20gigs of Windows. Something doesnt add up.

Fresh system reinstall, chrome download, trackir3 download, DCS world download.  Maxed the drive.

I had to delete the chrome folder just to run the mandatory update.

Even the mi8 0.7 gig module is too big.

I have 1tb hard drive but it makes the game visuals jittery, it hangs, even on low settings it takes 30+ seconds for the game to settle when first loading.

What doesn't? 120 Gigs is about two Bluray disks. I'm sorry to say that you probably need a new drive if you gonna get som more modules/mods.
My Open Beta installation is about 300Gigs, and I'm not complaining. Together with the Saved Games folders, Stable, Stable Server and OB Server it's around 1TB. And then I share Saved Games/Mods folder between Stable and OB to save space.
Do the recommendations above first. Might save you for now, but you will get into trouble in the future, unless you get a new drive.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Is there really no way to afford a cheap 500GB Sata-SSD? (around 50 bucks)

Because otherwise you will have an endless struggle for disc space - even if you solve the problem at hand, next geforce driver update or something like that and you will start all over again....

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

18 minutes ago, Bartacomus said:

The virtual memory file is hidden and can use several GB

.. also, most disk dont really have the space they advertise, it's usually 5% less, for example this 250 GB ssd only has 237 GB:

3gNgY0q.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Well, i have the 1TB HDD. But head movement blurs gameplay. So, i was hoping to keep 1 or 2 modules on the SSD so i can finally enjoy DCS the way its meant to be.  But im left wondering.  Unfortunately no, the budget is too tight.  3gb GTX1080 anyway.  Its not too bad, i get the most out of an old TrIR3, Logitek stick, and low settings.  But this breaks me.

If i cant copy the DCS Beta folder to the HDD, i might have to spend another 10 bucks just downloading the software.  

Well, i have the 1TB HDD. But head movement blurs gameplay. So, i was hoping to keep 1 or 2 modules on the SSD so i can finally enjoy DCS the way its meant to be.  But im left wondering.  Unfortunately no, the budget is too tight.  3gb GTX1080 anyway.  Its not too bad, i get the most out of an old TrIR3, Logitek stick, and low settings.  But this breaks me.

If i cant copy the DCS Beta folder to the HDD, i might have to spend another 10 bucks just downloading the software.  
You can use symlinks to redirect some folders to the HDD. Might be a little slower to load, but it should work though.
You can move the Saved Games folder there as well.
Check if hybernation is turned on. If on, turning it off will save you your amount of RAM.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen Windows 10 strip down guides and these measures work, however no Windows Updates from that point on. Also, they have a track record of breaking especially DirectX applications (like games). Honestly I wouldn't bother because it takes you half a day to save a few GB with no guarantee to proper function thereafter.

I bought a 120GB SSD used in an older laptop for 13.99 $ in China, came three weeks later. But for 25 $ you get 250 GB already. Sorry to break the news to you, but your constraints and desires collide when it comes to DCS.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Am 20.4.2021 um 14:23 schrieb Rudel_chw:

The virtual memory file is hidden and can use several GB

.. also, most disk dont really have the space they advertise, it's usually 5% less, for example this 250 GB ssd only has 237 GB:

3gNgY0q.jpg

just a small addon.... you have to devide the 255 382 777 856 bytes by 1024... that gives you 249 397 244 Megabytes which are rounded 250 GB. 😉   it is all about marketing!

3 minutes ago, LG_Barons said:

just a small addon.... you have to devide the 255 382 777 856 bytes by 1024... that gives you 249 397 244 Megabytes which are rounded 250 GB. 😉   

Actually, 249 397 244 Megabytes are 243 GB, since you have to divide by 1024, not 1000. This particular unit is advertised as 256 GB, when in fact it has 243 GB .. do the math and it is 5% less.

Edited by Rudel_chw

Its marketing not math. At least here in Europe. 250GB sounds better than 243GB. Giga and Mega means devide by 1000. I know that you have to devide by 1024 but not everybody is a computer nerd. Enter 250GB SSD into google...only in the fineprint you fine the real capacity.

Edited by LG_Barons
update
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LG_Barons said:

Its marketing not math. At least here in Europe. ...only in the fineprint you fine the real capacity.

I do know what is the real capacity, I just mentioned it on my prior post because there is people that don't know this fact.

My word were "most disk dont really have the space they advertise", you may call it marketing, I call it misleading advertising.

15 minutes ago, LG_Barons said:

Giga and Mega means devide by 1000

Acording to who? the drive manufacturers? ... if Windows compute them dividing by 1024, then that is the correct value, any other value is just misleading.

• Like 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Rudel_chw:

I do know what is the real capacity, I just mentioned it on my prior post because there is people that don't know this fact.

My word were "most disk dont really have the space they advertise", you may call it marketing, I call it misleading advertising.

Acording to who? the drive manufacturers? ... if Windows compute them dividing by 1024, then that is the correct value, any other value is just misleading.

Really? Actually i do not know where are you from but according to International System of units....https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

Because the SI prefixes strictly represent powers of 10, they should not be used to represent powers of 2. Thus, one kilobit, or 1 kbit, is 1000 bit and not 210 bit = 1024 bit. To alleviate this ambiguity, prefixes for binary multiples have been adopted by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) for use in information technology.

17 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

It is not misleading advertising or marketing.

It is really that what they sell scientifically.

They sell you a completely empty storage medium with the stated storage space available.

But, you choose as customer that what is the filesystem you want to use with it. Then your decision what filesystem you use, to take specific percentage of that space for their own functions.

You can use dozens of different filesystems and each will take different amount of space just to format the drive for them.

It is just that NTFS, ExFAT and VFAT takes different amounts of space from drives. For Windows-only drive you as well need to allocate couple extra partitions for it use.

Nothing comes free, so if you want to use the drive that is sold as is, you need to decide how you want to use it.

Let's make a analogy. You buy a 19 liter cooler box. You can place inside six 1.5 liter water bottles.

Would you go claiming that it is misleading or marketing that you only got a 9 liters cooler box and not a 19 liters?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, LG_Barons said:

Really? Actually i do not know where are you from but according to International System of units....https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

Because the SI prefixes strictly represent powers of 10, they should not be used to represent powers of 2. Thus, one kilobit, or 1 kbit, is 1000 bit and not 210 bit = 1024 bit. To alleviate this ambiguity, prefixes for binary multiples have been adopted by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) for use in information technology.

Didnt knew that, thanks a lot for pointing it out ... still, why would the drive manufacturers use a different convention than the one already being in use by the computer operating systems? 

I’m old enough to remember a time when the disks really had the capacity that the OS reported, like the Seagate ST-225 which actually had a bit more capacity than stated. Don’t know when this changed to the current "powers of 10" stuff.

• Like 1

One honest seller writes "232 Gio" on the package; another seller writes "250 GB". Exact same capacity. Guess who will sell more than the other?

This is indeed misleading advertising, becasue our computers work with Gio, not GB. Car sellers could do the same displaying top speed in kph instead of miles in anglo-saxon countries. Hell, I bet some did already. 😄

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

It is always a case of caveat emptor 🙂

• Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

• 2 weeks later...

Even on a 1TB drive DCS takes up so much space you need a single dedicated drive for DCS and its Saved Games folder. While watching today's 61GB update, I found my 1TB drive only had 50GB free, so I had to uninstall MSFS2020 from it just to clear space for the update. 

DCS alone takes 315GB. Plus another 100GB for Saved Games, all liveries because the base game liveries are too limited. Add a 32GB page file allocation because of known memory issues in DCS and you get a whopping 44.7% of a 1TB drive used on a single game.

DCS is the only game I regularly play, so it isn't too big of a deal, but I can see it being a major problem for others. 

Edited by Nealius