Mission load in VR

average_pilot

This is also a question because I'm not really sure if things work like that regarding the VR API.

The mission loading is quite an uncomfortable moment in VR. The view freezes and flickers and so it's better to look away, or close you eyes or wait until the mission is loaded to put on the headset.

So, I wonder if there is anything in the VR API that allows the application to tell the VR runtime  "I'm going to stop sending frames for quite some time while I do some heavy load stuff, please, send the user to the gray room, I'll tell you when I'm finished". And so the user goes smoothly to the gray room without flickers and freezes and, perhaps, DCS shows the mission load 2D screen on the floating "waiting" display (which also I don't know if that's possible).

This is all for SteamVR, I don't know how things are done in Oculus when the application stops sending frames at a high enough rate.

Cheers, and thank you for 2.7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, SquidgyB said:

This isn't a DCS specific thing, at least on my system every game does this while loading. From searches I've done it seems to have been a VR issue for around 2 years at least...

Exactly. Around that time Valve added this feature so that when the game stops sending frames the compositor shows the last sent frame in the grey room. That could have been a neat feature, but it doesn't work as expected, at least with WMR headsets. I wish I could disable that somehow without reverting to some old SteamVR version.

Anyway, what I'm asking is, when the game knows as a matter of fact that it's going to stop sending frames for a while (like mission load) if there is some utility in the API to report that to the VR runtime and make the whole process smoother for the user, like sending you to the grey room and stay there without fade-ins and outs nor frozen frames flashing in you sight.

I don't know what to think. It is as if Valve and Microsoft no longer really care and all this little details that detract from a good experience in VR and a perception of quality as end user, are no longer looked upon.

Edited by average_pilot

iirc Bignewy or Nineline said that it's because the single threaded nature of the engine, the cpu is too busy loading everything to do anything else, hence the freezing. They expect it to be improved with Vulkan and multithreading

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Like 1

I don't expect any game to deliver 90fps to a VR headset during a mission load, and it's one of the reasons why there is a VR compositor running concurrently all the time, but that's not the point. The point is if it is possible for the VR runtime to be notified by the game that it is going to do heavy load tasks like allocating gigabytes of textures in the GPU etc. so that the VR runtime handles the situation in a way that it's nicer for the user.