HOOK BYPASS button binds inoperative [FIXED!][and LAUNCH BAR fix at the end]

Those aren't in the game by default. Are you using a modded joystick default.lua?

They fixed a typo in the F/A-18C bindings in 2.7, previously the device was attached to device id devices.COCKPIT_LIGTHS and it's now devices.COCKPIT_LIGHTS. This effectively breaks your edited default.lua file as those devices no longer have valid references.

You'll have to edit your default.lua and search and replace "COCKPIT_LIGTHS" with "COCKPIT_LIGHTS". Easily done with Notepad++ or a lua editor of your choice.

Edited by FoxTwo

I began having trouble with my simpit (3 x leo bodner BBI-64 boards) after 2.7, I believe it might be related to some changes in the default.lua. I decided to switch back to the non-edited file using OVGME, so in theory I'm running the stock default.lua file now, and decided to check and see if my hook bypass was working. And, funny enough, it's the one switch on the selective jettison panel that doesn't work for me. The physical switch works, I have tried binding it to other control assignments, and vice versa binding the hook bypass to a different physical switch. The control options where you assign buttons is showing the correct designation of button X, and when actuating the switch it highlights the control assignment like it's supposed to do. So from all my testing, I think 2.7 broke the hook bypass switch connection between the control assignment and the virtual cockpit physical switch. Can someone try this by binding it to any joystick button and see if it works?

On that note, I also noticed that every switch and rheostat on the RH panel labeled "INT LT" (Console lights, instrument lights, flood lights, warn lights, chart lights, light test switch and NVG light modes switch) have the same problem as the hook bypass. Maybe someone want's to try for themselves? Maybe I should start a new thread about that one, but think these are all related perhaps. 

oh, and Master caution reset button also has this problem now for me. 

Edited by Sickdog
typos

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

8 hours ago, Sickdog said:

I began having trouble with my simpit (3 x leo bodner BBI-64 boards) after 2.7, I believe it might be related to some changes in the default.lua. I decided to switch back to the non-edited file using OVGME, so in theory I'm running the stock default.lua file now, and decided to check and see if my hook bypass was working. And, funny enough, it's the one switch on the selective jettison panel that doesn't work for me. The physical switch works, I have tried binding it to other control assignments, and vice versa binding the hook bypass to a different physical switch. The control options where you assign buttons is showing the correct designation of button X, and when actuating the switch it highlights the control assignment like it's supposed to do. So from all my testing, I think 2.7 broke the hook bypass switch connection between the control assignment and the virtual cockpit physical switch. Can someone try this by binding it to any joystick button and see if it works?

On that note, I also noticed that every switch and rheostat on the RH panel labeled "INT LT" (Console lights, instrument lights, flood lights, warn lights, chart lights, light test switch and NVG light modes switch) have the same problem as the hook bypass. Maybe someone want's to try for themselves? Maybe I should start a new thread about that one, but think these are all related perhaps. 

oh, and Master caution reset button also has this problem now for me. 

Trust me, you're using the old default.lua. Run a repair to get the 2.7 version. All of these device IDs are part of COCKPIT_LIGHTS, which used to be COCKPIT_LIGTHS. This is what is causing your issue.

How about this, I cannot say definitively about YOUR version of 2.7, but for my 2.7 version of DCS that I just ran a repair on to restore the default.lua for the F-18 joystick profile, hook bypass only has an on/off toggle, not specific on and off bindings.

Again, COCKPIT_LIGTHS has become COCKPIT_LIGHTS so if you want to fix it, you have all the information you need.

4 hours ago, FoxTwo said:

How about this, I cannot say definitively about YOUR version of 2.7, but for my 2.7 version of DCS that I just ran a repair on to restore the default.lua for the F-18 joystick profile, hook bypass only has an on/off toggle, not specific on and off bindings.

Again, COCKPIT_LIGTHS has become COCKPIT_LIGHTS so if you want to fix it, you have all the information you need.

can you confirm that any of the switches or rheostats on the INT LT pannel can be bound to any joystick button AND function in the cockpit? And how about the hook bypass, can you get the switch in cockpit to move using a joystick button? I cannot. I'll consider running a repair on the install if you say it does, but trust me, I am now using an un-edited 2.7 default.lua (however, not from a repair yet).

How about master caution reset button, anyone try that one yet?

Edited by Sickdog

1 minute ago, Sickdog said:

can you confirm that any of the switches or rheostats on the INT LT pannel can be bound to any joystick button AND function in the cockpit? And how about the hook bypass, can you get the switch in cockpit to move using a joystick button? I cannot. I'll consider running a repair on the install if you say it does, but trust me, I am now using an un-edited 2.7 default.lua (however, not from a repair yet).

Anything defined in \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua can be bound. Not everything has a binding in the input default.lua, but anything that you can click with a mouse can be bound.

Axes are a bit trickier than switches.

To create a hook bypass binding for off and on, you'd need to edit \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick\default.lua and add these lines, preferably around line 463

{	down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,												cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGHTS,			value_down =  1.0,					name = _('HOOK BYPASS Switch - FIELD'),								category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{	down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,												cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGHTS,			value_down = -1.0,					name = _('HOOK BYPASS Switch - CARRIER'),								category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

1 minute ago, FoxTwo said:

Anything defined in \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua can be bound. Not everything has a binding in the input default.lua, but anything that you can click with a mouse can be bound.

Axes are a bit trickier than switches.

To create a hook bypass binding for off and on, you'd need to edit \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick\default.lua and add these lines, preferably around line 463

{	down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,												cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGHTS,			value_down =  1.0,					name = _('HOOK BYPASS Switch - FIELD'),								category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{	down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,												cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGHTS,			value_down = -1.0,					name = _('HOOK BYPASS Switch - CARRIER'),								category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

I appreciate you trying to help, Fox2, and I have done a lot of edits in the past with great success to that exact file to make my simpit function the way I want to (made some modifications and some straight up additions, and some complex ones with the safety cover opening followed by flipping the switch, but not sure if your response answered my direct question to you. Can you please try to bind master caution reset, hook bypass (the stock version, not your suggested mods), or any of those INT LT items I mentioned and report back? I'd really appreciate it, and that way we can make progression with this discussion. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Sickdog said:

I appreciate you trying to help, Fox2, and I have done a lot of edits in the past with great success to that exact file to make my simpit function the way I want to (made some modifications and some straight up additions, and some complex ones with the safety cover opening followed by flipping the switch, but not sure if your response answered my direct question to you. Can you please try to bind master caution reset, hook bypass (the stock version, not your suggested mods), or any of those INT LT items I mentioned and report back? I'd really appreciate it, and that way we can make progression with this discussion. Thanks!

I had no issues binding the default master caution reset to a push button, and the hook bypass toggle to one position of a two position switch.

Ok, fantastic news, so it’s more than likely a local issue to some of us that have monkeyed with the default.lua. I’ll try the repair as you had suggested and report back. Thank you for trying that. 

This is ALREADY in the DEFAULT.LUA after v2.7 Open Beta.

{    down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,        up = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,        cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGHTS,            value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('HOOK BYPASS Switch - FIELD/CARRIER'),                                category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,                                               cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGTHS,         value_down =  -0.5,                 name = _('HOOK BYPASS Switch - CARRIER'),                                   category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,                                               cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGTHS,         value_down =  0.5,                  name = _('HOOK BYPASS Switch - FIELD'),                                        category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

There is NOW a separate option for FIELD and for CARRIER despite what some ill-informed persons may tell you.  

[EDIT] Problem corrected by fixing the typos in RED above.

Edited by VFA41_Hedgehog

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

HOWEVER....

I managed to fix it.  Note please in the DEFAULT.LUA, Eagle Dynamics failed to correct every instance of the "ligths" typo.  The typo still appears in the lines above in the LEFT VERTICAL PANEL section.  Fix it in two places.  Works properly now as I set the bindings in the original post.

Hopefully (though doubtfully) ED will fix this.  If not, it will need to be manually corrected after every patch in order for those bindings to function.

Edited by VFA41_Hedgehog

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

• VFA41_Hedgehog changed the title to HOOK BYPASS button binds inoperative [FIXED!]

Shout out to FoxTwo for his help on this, I figured I'd be coming back to this threat with disappointment but after "repairing" DCS, all the issues I was having were fixed. Then I added my other joystick modifications and life is good again, so thanks FoxTwo. 

18 hours ago, VFA41_Hedgehog said:

There is NOW a separate option for FIELD and for CARRIER despite what some ill-informed persons may tell you. 

There really isn't, I ran a repair and modified several times to verify, but alright. I don't appreciate the passive aggression.

For anyone else reading this thread...I can confirm what Hedgehog was saying, at least in my 2.7 setup (I have not done any prior modification to the default lua.)

In my Main Directory (not saved games folder) Mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Input/FA-18C/joystick/default.lua file, lines 461-463 look like this:

image.png

You will note that the LIGTHS typo exists on lines 462 and 463, and that the discrete CARRIER and FIELD control commands are already present in the .lua.

Once I fixed the typo on these two lines, I was able to get normal function of the switch by binding the CARRIER and FIELD positions in the controls menu page, and it actuates properly in the pit now.

I cannot explain why FoxTwo is not seeing these commands in his .lua...I fully believe what he is saying. I think both parties were trying to help. But in this case, my fix was found through Hedgehog's research and fix. Thanks much!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord:https://discord.gg/b8AgE5m

The corrections Hedgehog mentioned worked for me as well.         Spool- just curious, do you run the Winwing PTO panel / SimAppPro by chance?   

If so, I wonder if SimAppPro is the culprit and actually modifies the default.lua in the background?     I don't (knowingly) modify my default.lua either, but I just noticed this afternoon that the 2.7 build on my server machine does NOT have the separate carrier, field, and carrier/field mapping options.   That build only has the single carrier/field option as Fox2 suggests.      I do, however, run the Winwing panels and SimAppPro on my main machine, and all three binding options have existed for quite some time- so my guess is that SimApp actually modifies the default.lua and may explain why Fox2 doesn't see all three options, yet we do.    Even when I repair the build, thinking SimApp may just immediately overwrite the "repaired" default.lua the second it launches (since it is set to launch with DCS in my case).

• Thanks 1

After today's update, I'm pretty sure I confirmed that Winwing's SimApp Pro adds the CARRIER and FIELD option lines in DEFAULT.LUA.  HOWEVER, their script inherited the "CPT_LIGTHS" typo from ED.  When ED fixed it, Winwing did not (yet), so the typo is re-introduced and must be manually fixed after each patch/update.

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

I can't get the Hook bypass Switch and LAUNCH BAR Retract Extend switch to work correctly, can someone help me? maybe sharing the default.lua with only the modified lines for this switches so i can paste them in my default.lua?

im using winwing Take off panel and combat ready panel.

thanks!

4 minutes ago, VFA41_Hedgehog said:

After today's update, I'm pretty sure I confirmed that Winwing's SimApp Pro adds the CARRIER and FIELD option lines in DEFAULT.LUA.  HOWEVER, their script inherited the "CPT_LIGTHS" typo from ED.  When ED fixed it, Winwing did not (yet), so the typo is re-introduced and must be manually fixed after each patch/update.

please can you help me with these switches? thanks buddy

Sin-ttulo-3-zpskg9bm6js.png

a) After the DCS update/patch, you have to shutdown and restart SimApp Pro in order for it to re-add the Hook Bypass options that the DCS update/patch removed.

b) Look for the DEFAULT.LUA file somewhere around here: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick

c) Open it with a text editor and find the section called LEFT VERTICAL PANEL.

d) In that section, find the lines related to Hook Bypass.  There will now be a separate line for FIELD and for CARRIER.

e) Find the typo in those two lines.  It says "CPT_LIGTHS" in 2 places.  Fix them to say "CPT_LIGHTS"

f) Save the DEFAULT.LUA file.

When you restart DCS and look in F/A-18C controls, you will see the two bindable options for FIELD and CARRIER as shown in the original post.  Assign the switch positions.  It will work now.

NOTE: I don't know exactly how SimApp Pro works.  (I'm not sure that anybody does...)  This process MAY require that you have activated a Key Binding profile within SimApp Pro.

The Launch Bar switch is an entirely different ballgame.  WinWing has not chosen to provide discrete switch positions for that switch for some reason.  There are other edits you can make to the DEFAULT.LUA fie to make it work, but that's another discussion (see below).

Edited by VFA41_Hedgehog

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

2 hours ago, VFA41_Hedgehog said:

a) After the DCS update/patch, you have to shutdown and restart SimApp Pro in order for it to re-add the Hook Bypass options that the DCS update/patch removed.

b) Look for the DEFAULT.LUA file somewhere around here: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick

c) Open it with a text editor and find the section called LEFT VERTICAL PANEL.

d) In that section, find the lines related to Hook Bypass.  There will now be a separate line for FIELD and for CARRIER.

e) Find the typo in those two lines.  It says "CPT_LIGTHS" in 2 places.  Fix them to say "CPT_LIGHTS"

f) Save the DEFAULT.LUA file.

When you restart DCS and look in F/A-18C controls, you will see the two bindable options for FIELD and CARRIER as shown in the original post.  Assign the switch positions.  It will work now.

NOTE: I don't know exactly how SimApp Pro works.  (I'm not sure that anybody does...)  This process MAY require that you have activated a Key Binding profile within SimApp Pro.

The Launch Bar switch is an entirely different ballgame.  WinWing has not chosen to provide discrete switch positions for that switch for some reason.  There are other edits you can make to the DEFAULT.LUA fie to make it work, but that's another discussion.

ok I will try it and let you know, thanks buddy for quick reply😉

Sin-ttulo-3-zpskg9bm6js.png

5 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

I can't get the Hook bypass Switch and LAUNCH BAR Retract Extend switch to work correctly,

I use this one with my WinWing Orion throttle.  I put it in ...DCS World Open Beta\Config\Input\Aircrafts\common_joystick_binding.lua

{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0, value_up = -1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control 2-Pos Switch RETRACT/EXTEND'), category = {_('Special for Joystick'),_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

This mod to the F/A-18C joystick DEFAULT.LUA adds separate LAUNCH BAR EXTEND and RETRACT commands as shown below.  This is primarily for anyone who use the Winwing Take-Off Panel or any 2-active position controller switch.

a) Look for the DEFAULT.LUA file somewhere around here: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick

b) Open it with a text editor and find the section called LEFT VERTICAL PANEL.

c) Find the line for the Launch Bar Switch that looks like this:
down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,            up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,            cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, etc....

d) Just below that line, copy and paste these two lines:

{    down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,                                                   cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,     value_down =  0.5,                  name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - EXTEND'),                             category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

{    down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,                                                   cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,     value_down =  -0.5,                 name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - RETRACT'),                            category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

e) Save the DEFAULT.LUA file.

You will now be able to bind the Winwing PTO panel LUANCH BAR switch positions as shown.

This, of course, will need to be repeated after every DCS update or patch (or until ED does it themselves...  don't hold your breath.)

lbar.JPG

Edited by VFA41_Hedgehog
  • Thanks 1

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

• VFA41_Hedgehog changed the title to HOOK BYPASS button binds inoperative [FIXED!][and LAUNCH BAR fix at the end]