Precision landings

try it with a moving ship.

if the ship is doing 20 knts you will never lose translational lift.

the ship should be travelling into the wind.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Yes, trying a moving ship sounds like a good idea but I'd really like to master this. I think was makes it even harder is the transition from hovering over the water to over the ship and the change that makes in the down draft. 

Watching the replay back I was actually a lot closer than I realised, mere inches above the deck and nicely positioned. All I had to do was dump the collective and I would have been down but an excited twitch of cyclic swung me off and my rear wheel caught on the fence tipping me over. 😄 

• Like 2

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

rear wheel caught on the fence tipping me over.

You can contact the ship via the ATC menu and call inbound, they will lower the railing(fence) like they would in RL during flight operations.

Edit:

Quick and dirty example, sorry for the shaky view i was flying in VR(there you can't see the shaky view) and recorded the trackfile so there isn't only the small left eye view recorded. (video should be 1440p after YT processing)

Edited by unknown
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Yes, you're absolutely right of course. I was just being a bit flippant. What I meant was, If I'd only realised how well positioned and how near to the ground I was, I could have just lowered my collective and been down. 😞 You live and learn. 🙂 

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

On 4/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, unknown said:

You can contact the ship via the ATC menu and call inbound, they will lower the railing(fence) like they would in RL during flight operations.

Edit:

Quick and dirty example, sorry for the shaky view i was flying in VR(there you can't see the shaky view) and recorded the trackfile so there isn't only the small left eye view recorded. (video should be 1440p after YT processing)

Very nicely flown! Wish I was nearly as good with helicopters 🙂

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, flying in VR is a game changer for Helicopter flying and AirAirRefueling in Jets, it makes all these things so much easier.

🍻

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I fly in VR too and it's absolutely brilliant for spatial awareness for hovering and landing. (It still doesn't mean I'm any good at it though!) 😄 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing on this subject;

I've only recently picked up truly learning the Hip (in preparation for the Hind 😉) and I've also been trying "precision" landings.

Did I correctly notice that the Hip suffers a lot more from IGE (in ground effect) than the Huey?

When getting close to the ground, I have to quite drastically make adjustments to collective pitch to avoid being sort of "pushed" back up in the air. I have made a lot of Huey hours and never really noticed this effect. Well, definitely not to this extend.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

8 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I've only recently picked up truly learning the Hip (in preparation for the Hind 😉) and I've also been trying "precision" landings.

Did I correctly notice that the Hip suffers a lot more from IGE (in ground effect) than the Huey?

When getting close to the ground, I have to quite drastically make adjustments to collective pitch to avoid being sort of "pushed" back up in the air. I have made a lot of Huey hours and never really noticed this effect. Well, definitely not to this extend.

That's becasue of the main rotor diameter, Huey ~14m vs Mi-8 ~21m.

On 5/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, sirrah said:

Depending on weight, you can start descending from high hover (OGE) at about 1-2 m/s and it will settle just above ground without touching collective

I was very impressed with how you brought the nose up for decel and kept the vsi rock solid. I usually start climbing when I try that or when I bring the collective down (using warthog) I wind up descending way to fast. Bravo 🙂

Edited by tusler
  • Thanks 1

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gpruitt54 said:

I have a hard time getting this helicopter to slow down into a hoover without the machine instantly going into VRS.

Same, I find making note of the blade pitch angle req'ed for IGE hover helps

Mi-8 blade pitch angle.PNG

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Hello:)please look at this little video of landing on Rigs.

The tip is the feeling you have when reducing speed to get close of a hover.

Some sound of vibrations advise you that you are close of power limits.

At each time you feel that stuff :
just push forward the stick a little.The vibration will desappear.

Continue until you touch down.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gpruitt54 said:

I have a hard time getting this helicopter to slow down into a hoover without the machine instantly going into VRS.

As you approach and start slowing down, your engines will spool down somewhat to maintain RRPM under current load. The catch is, as you go from 150 kph do to 100 to lessen your deceleration rate a bit and add just a bit of collective to spool up engines. as you get "the shakes" you should be holding altitude and start pulling collective. If you wait to get visual cues that you are sinking, you are too late. Once you get into hover, you can then start final descent. Don't worry if you shoot up, point of this excercise is to prevent VRS. Do not rely on vertical speed indicator. It lags quite a bit and once it shows 3 m/s descent, you are probably in 5+ m/s. Look outside for cues.

15 часов назад, Gpruitt54 сказал:

14 часов назад, Ramsay сказал:

Same, I find making note of the blade pitch angle req'ed for IGE hover helps

Remember a few simple rules for landing on the Mi-8. Do not under any circumstances make sudden decelerations in the air (leads to a vortex ring). When landing, it is not necessary to look at the pitch of the main rotor, it is enough to observe the variometer and not go beyond the descent speed. 3-4 m / s is more than enough. In preparation for hovering, the pitch of the main rotor should be increased as a result of the transition from the oblique flow to the direct flow and a decrease in the lift of the blades with a decrease in the forward speed of the helicopter.

13 часов назад, cromhunt сказал:

Some sound of vibrations advise you that you are close of power limits.

Misconception, power is enough. Vibrations are caused by the main rotor aerodynamics. The approach is recommended upwind. Approach is allowed with headwind and crosswind, the speed of which does not exceed 10m/s.

You can take some information from this website (RU) http://hvash.com/index.php/vertoletovozhdenie/19-osobennosti-pilotirovaniya-mi-8mt-mtv

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip w/ VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Ace-torq rudder, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip w/ K51 collective base, VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel, Oculus Quest 2 HMD

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 I5-10300H, GTX-1650 4GB, RAM 24GB
ASUS Rog Strix G17 R7 5800H, RTX-3070 8GB, 2k-165Hz, RAM 32GB 

Modules: F-4E Phantom 2, AH-64D Apache, Mi-24P Hind, Mi-8MTV2 w/Ns-430 Navigation Unit, Ka-50 Black Shark 3, F-15E Strike Eagle, Mirage F1, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet w/ SuperCarrier, F-14 A/B Tomcat, JF-17 Thunder, A-10C-2, P-51D, BF-109K-4, Uh-1 Huey, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C Mirage, AV-8B Harrier, CASA C-101 Aviojet, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, FC3, CA.

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Caucasus, South Atlantic, Sinai, Normandy 2.0.

6 hours ago, TrumBass said:

Remember a few simple rules for landing on the Mi-8. Do not under any circumstances make sudden decelerations in the air (leads to a vortex ring). When landing, it is not necessary to look at the pitch of the main rotor, it is enough to observe the variometer and not go beyond the descent speed. 3-4 m / s is more than enough. In preparation for hovering, the pitch of the main rotor should be increased as a result of the transition from the oblique flow to the direct flow and a decrease in the lift of the blades with a decrease in the forward speed of the helicopter.

I've flown the DCS Mi-8 for a few years and am aware of it's quirks, the main issue is when returning with Huey and Gazelle muscle memory.

I find the DCS Mi-8 particularly sensitive to descent speed when transitioning to a stationary IGE hover. In the past I was able to use the variometer but these days it seems slower to react and the helicopter seems to perhaps enter a "reverse" ground effect - I know it sounds stupid but, in the past, we've seen such things (bugs) in the F5 and F/A-18C flight models.

The best graph of how the current DCS VRS "feels" (to me) is this one from the Russian forum (red is DCS, blue is real).

VRS_mi8.png

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/95108-bagi-problemy-velikolepnoj-vosmerki/?do=findComment&comment=4678200

As a workaround for the slow variometer and VRS sensitivity (~2m/s) in certain phases of a landing, I found knowing the Mi-8's IGE Hover Rotor Blade Pitch Angle a good predictor (much in the same way you'd use torque in the Gazelle or KW).

Edited by Ramsay
Spelling

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

having the rotor blade pitch angle is useful.

in the huey I have got used to judging it by the position of the collective.

but having a gauge that actually shows you is useful.

noting the blade angle needed to hover is part of my hover check.

i also use the EPR to find cruise and then note the pitch angle.

to stay in an unlimited engine regime.

(as long as altitude does not change too much)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:07 AM, TrumBass said:

Misconception, power is enough. Vibrations are caused by the main rotor aerodynamics. The approach is recommended upwind. Approach is allowed with headwind and crosswind, the speed of which does not exceed 10m/s.

You can take some information from this website (RU) http://hvash.com/index.php/vertoletovozhdenie/19-osobennosti-pilotirovaniya-mi-8mt-mtv

Not a misconception i know all that is due to pilot an helicopter in any conditions as i was pilot in real world.

But i think that it's not the case for all players reading the post.I'm trying to explain with maybe a poor english,how you have to do in the game to succeed your landing.

And in the game it's not so easy than in real world.

Not only harder but sometime false,and real behaviour even with a lot of graphics,doesn't explain the games bugs.

VRS in game is just stupid.

As you may loose your main rotor blade on HUEY,it's dumb 
it make not sense

Edited by cromhunt
  • Like 1