Side-by-Side Comparison of Forest and Scenery Detail Settings [FPS + Rendering]

Steinsch

That's cool, thanks for posting!

Looks like it doesn't make a huge difference, at least not on your beast system. I always thought it would be great to have less forest and building detail in the distance, but much longer draw distances. I should fiddle with this a wee bit.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Turns out that, when you find an area of the map that gives the lowest FPS, adjusting the 3 sliders (forest draw distance, forest detail, and scenery detail) allows you to scale the minimum FPS in real time 🙂

So, find your lowest FPS, and then fiddle with these until you get the lowest FPS you're willing to deal with. I set the forest draw distance to max (always looks best), then set the detail levels so it still looks good and and I get good framerates 🤘 :drinks_cheers:

AD

• Like 2

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

1 hour ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

Turns out that, when you find an area of the map that gives the lowest FPS, adjusting the 3 sliders (forest draw distance, forest detail, and scenery detail) allows you to scale the minimum FPS in real time 🙂

So, find your lowest FPS, and then fiddle with these until you get the lowest FPS you're willing to deal with. I set the forest draw distance to max (always looks best), then set the detail levels so it still looks good and and I get good framerates 🤘 :drinks_cheers:

AD

Mind sharing the numbers for your detail level settings?

54 minutes ago, skins45 said:

Mind sharing the numbers for your detail level settings?

I'm using the rig described in my sig, with a 1080 Ti...

I have forest distance set to 100%. Forest detail and Scenery detail are both at 50%, which I find gives good performance down low (where it's worst, about 45-50 FPS minimum) and Clouds are set to Standard.

I don't find it makes much difference what I set Clouds to, though. Setting Draw Distance (not Forest Distance, the one for ground objects like buildings) has a great effect. I like it on Extreme, but my 1080 Ti is showing its age 🙂

One plan is to reduce Draw Distance, and crank up Scenery Detail, but I really like Extreme Draw Distance. And frankly, it could stand to be MUCH longer--about twice as much. I'd need to edit the config files for that. And I'd get maybe 10 FPS 🤣

I'd really love a 3090, but if I had that kind of bread I could buy a really crappy vehicle 🙂 hehehehe

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

7 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

I'd really love a 3090, but if I had that kind of bread I could buy a really crappy vehicle 🙂 hehehehe

AD

No kidding! Or maybe 10hrs real life flight time.  

I'm really hoping things settle on the gpu front soon.  I feel like my 13 month old 2080ti is getting long in the tooth with all these graphical updates, especially with me in vr....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 6:07 PM, skins45 said:

No kidding! Or maybe 10hrs real life flight time.  

I'm really hoping things settle on the gpu front soon.  I feel like my 13 month old 2080ti is getting long in the tooth with all these graphical updates, especially with me in vr....

That's how it works in DCS World.

6 months from now:

"Man, I remember getting my RTX 3090 and it was soooo kickass, but now it's showing its age!!"

AD

• Like 1

Kit: