Cat Problem

Ryanwtod

On 4/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, Oozler said:

Yes - cat 1 and 2 launch crew waits until the AI planes got down. As soon as the AI plane caught the wire I noticed the deck crew 'wake up' and begin directing the jet.

Deck crew are either in a launch or recovery state. They can’t do both at once. Hence the need to wait for all arriving aircraft to trap before launching is available again.

Edited by norman99

I noticed that the Launch Crew will not launch me unless it launches all the AI aircraft on the deck first. This happens in a single player mission I built. Once the AI aircraft are launched the ground crew starts working my aircraft.  There are no returning aircraft returning to the carrier, so I'm not sure that it's between cycles. Not sure it worked this way prior to 2.7.

Edited by Checkmate

16 hours ago, Checkmate said:

Not sure it worked this way prior to 2.7.

It definetly didn´t🤨

BTW, I´m able to launch with other aircrafts moving on deck, the issue is that I have to approach the cat two or three times at least before the crew noticing my plane. It´s very annoying.

I was using the DCS Liberation just now. I noticed something. I don't know if it's a Liberation issue or a DCS issue. If you have more than 1 Tomcat in the same flight they won't both setup on CAT 1 and 2 at the same time. The first one will setup on Cat 1. The second one will park behind Cat 2 and wait until the first one launches before he approaches the second cat and hooks up.

Same thing happening to me -- crew ignores me, cannot hook-up to the cat.

This is a bug introduced in 2.7.

Someone who has a track should post the bug in the bug section. Unfortunately, I don't. There's another thread about the same issue happening in MP (only), but this one here occurs in SP. 

I have just started trying to do CarrierOps on the -18 (w/SuperCarrier) and the Mission that has you launching off the carrier on the CAT1 position (with CATs 2-4 also loaded).  As soon as I press START, my Shooter starts with the 'Run 'em up' hand motion of circling his fingers up in the air.  I run up to full AB (yes, can see the finger detents raising as I do) and he just stands there, telling me to run 'em up.  Meanwhile, the waist catapults launch and we sit there.  I waited 2 full minutes, checking and double-checking that I was in full AB... and CATs 1 and 2 never launch.

Is this part of this new 2.7 bug?

I have just started trying to do CarrierOps on the -18 (w/SuperCarrier) and the Mission that has you launching off the carrier on the CAT1 position (with CATs 2-4 also loaded).  As soon as I press START, my Shooter starts with the 'Run 'em up' hand motion of circling his fingers up in the air.  I run up to full AB (yes, can see the finger detents raising as I do) and he just stands there, telling me to run 'em up.  Meanwhile, the waist catapults launch and we sit there.  I waited 2 full minutes, checking and double-checking that I was in full AB... and CATs 1 and 2 never launch.

Is this part of this new 2.7 bug?
You need to salute in order to signal you're ready to launch. You can either set up a key bind in the controls or use the Ground Crew comms menu.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this happen several times Ryan.  It has to do with the way the AI deck-crew are 'triggered'.  Similar to how triggers in the Map Editor work (IE: Aircraft won't start until X-amount of time), the deck crew follow a pre-determined set of rules and they aren't able to conflict them.  What is happening, is the deck crew are given a command for 'Incoming craft landing' and they do not leave that command until the deck is clear of landing aircraft.  So from a programming standpoint
Aircraft radio'd in to land --> Trigger 'landing' crew
Aircraft trips the wire, stops, and taxi's to parking (to be accurate the command is actually run when the hook of the landing craft comes up) --> Trigger 'Launch' crew

From that perspective there are dozens of instances where something can go wrong and the only resolution is a server restart.
Take this example below:

F14 is 10-miles out flown by AI.  F14 begins approach which triggers the 'Landing' state for the deck crew.
F14 runs out of fuel / gets shot down / has to go around it never completes the last switch which is 'raise the hook, taxi to parking' so the deck crew are still under the impression that there is an aircraft coming in.  On occasion (especially w/ the shot-down scenario) the Radio --> Ground Crew --> Request Launch will trigger the 'Launch' status for the crew but there are several situations where this will kick the crew out of the loop.

If you want to test it / screw around with your friends, radio in to the carrier that you're inbound.  Once you choose 'Commencing' the crew switched to 'landing' mode.  Then simply fly around the carrier in a pattern and your friends will never be able to launch 😝

* Edit: It's still a bug, don't get me wrong.  Just explaining what the AI are thinking.

Edited by Mitissa

• 1 month later...

Much of what is being said in this topic doesn't appear to be correct.  

If the AI is waiting on something than why, if you create a mission where it is only you and the carrier, does the cat crew still ignore you when you approach?  There is essentially nothing else that they are doing.  

I am not certain if it is the same with cats 3 and 4, but cat 1 appears to have an issue with how it recognizes a plane approaching.  My support of this is that if you try to make a normal approach to cat 1 and they do not recognize you, make a hard left and a full 360 degree circle (definitely not SOP on a carrier) and when you line back up they will then recognize you.  In fact, you can make any crazy circuit on the flight deck, come back around and approach cat 1 again and they will recognize you.

Additionally, after startup, if you approach cat 2 they will ALWAYS recognize you on the first approach, wether or not there are other aircraft moving on the deck.  In fact, in a flight of four, number 2 will always line up obediently behind the blast deflector, never choosing to use cat 1 instead.

This is definitely an issue with how the program recognizes that something that wants to hook up to cat 1 is not recognized, maybe its a cone of awareness, maybe a specific pathing that is not being followed, that part I don't know.