Help with mission 2

I have a few basic questions about Mission 2 :

First of all, is there a guide somewhere to help with basic things that more casual dudes like me might not understand? There is a lot of terminology I don't get on the radio chat. For example : Rock. Is ROCK the same thing as BULLSEYE? (same goes for Knock it off, I had to search a few minutes on the internet to find the answer to what that means)

Moreover, looking through different tutorials on Youtube, when I'm told the bogey is "Rock 068 for 32", I understand this as "heading 68 from bullseye, distance 32nm". That being said, in order to navigate, I would need to select the bullseye as my active waypoint and make it an A/A waypoint. This way, I'd see the bullseye in my SA and be able to know where to go.

All of that being said, how do I know if the missions were made with one of my waypoints on the bullseye?

Thanks for the help

Edited by Sylosis

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Generally, in Raven 1: "Rock" is Bullseye. It is mentioned somewhere in the oveerall R1 manual if you are not sure. There is also a glossary there with some "strange" callouts, but not all of them. People who have read the story, have much easier task with the campaign (it is recommended). I havenn't yet but I was able to pass R1. 

Setting the Bullseye is necessary in (let's say) half of the missions. After you set, you have the readouts on your radar in the upper-left corner. They show the radial and distance of your radar CURSOR based on bullseye. Works nearly the same way on the SA page. It needs a little bit imagination and math-orientation. It is easier if you set  SA range level wide enough to make a Bullseye visible there. The same sitation on the radar screen but remember where you exactly are in relation to bullseye.

Info about ROCK is on every kneeboard attached to each mission. You've got an info about all the waypoints there. Printing of the kneeboard in R1 is HIGHLY recommended before the mission 😉

Edited by Padre Pio
  • Like 1

Rock is preprogrammed as a waypoint on all missions. You will need to set it as AA Wypt each time though.

• Like 1

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

6 hours ago, =Panther= said:

Rock is preprogrammed as a waypoint on all missions. You will need to set it as AA Wypt each time though.

Oh ok thx. So in this mission I had, if I remember right, waypoints 1 to 5.

And I don't remember reading in the briefing which one was Rock. Did I miss it? Was it written and my lame brain didn't know how to read? 

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

It is on the kneeboards located in your Game installation Directory /Mods/Campaign/Raven One/Docs it is also labelled as Rock in the HSI Data. 

• Like 2

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

5 hours ago, =Panther= said:

It is on the kneeboards located in your Game installation Directory /Mods/Campaign/Raven One/Docs it is also labelled as Rock in the HSI Data. 

Ah ok, so with you said and what was also told by Padre Pio, I essentially have to manually enter it as a new waypoint using the info from the kneeboard. Gotcha.

Thanks.

No no no,  you will create many new waypoints soon,  but not now. "Rock"  is always one of the existing WPs. All you need to do is to check which one in the proper kneeboard and then tell the same to your F-18,  using HSI - > Data subpage.  

Just now, Padre Pio said:

No no no,  you will create many new waypoints soon,  but not now. "Rock"  is always one of the existing WPs. All you need to do is to check which one in the proper kneeboard and then tell the same to your F-18,  using HSI - > Data subpage.  

I'm trying the mission at the moment and indeed, just saw on the kneepad that Rock is already programmed. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hey, just played through the second mission and I have mixed feelings.

possible spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

after taking fuel from the tanker we went for waypoint 4 where the 1 on 1 was supposed to start. I changed the frequency to magic to check in which we did. Afterwards I though we are going to practice dogfight with smoke but there weren't any comms to startup the fight. So I kinda missed the whole fighting. A message came a Fencer was coming so I intercepted and kept him company but he didn't seem bothered by my radar lock. Then I got low on fuel and was offered to disengage and landed on the ship. 

Mission completed. Yet,

What I'm wondering is...

1) how to initiate the dogfight?

2) what am I supposed to do with the Su-24?

cheers!

Edited by Creasy85

• 2 weeks later...

After AAR I think you are supposed to go to WP3 (or maybe it is 4)? Then your wingman should move away pretty far and then call he is turning back, where your task is just to get him on your radar and intercept, there is no dogfighting. 

The Fencer will do his thing until his pilot decides it is time to fly away, you have to stay with him until it happens (yes, correct fuel management is the key!)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2022 at 3:46 AM, baltic_dragon said:

After AAR I think you are supposed to go to WP3 (or maybe it is 4)? Then your wingman should move away pretty far and then call he is turning back, where your task is just to get him on your radar and intercept, there is no dogfighting. 

The Fencer will do his thing until his pilot decides it is time to fly away, you have to stay with him until it happens (yes, correct fuel management is the key!)

I will try again, but just now Smoke did not initiate his fight. I stayed around WP4 waiting, he just kept orbiting around 35 nm away. No other story events happened for 15-20 mins and I gave up. Any ideas? Is it possibly caused by me moving away from WP4 too far away?