Too "glassy" and reflective water.

Currently the water looks like a matt mirror at altitude giving one no perception of height or speed, only from like 10ft over the water one can make out waves. Clouds should also not be reflecting in salt water. Definitely a huge downgrade from 2.5.

• Like 10

yes i was going to open a thread for this. reflections look overdone

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

+1 here.

I prefer the water from 2.5 too (due to the reflections problem, rather than that i love 2.7 water).

(VR user).

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 4

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

4 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Currently the water looks like a matt mirror at altitude giving one no perception of height or speed, only from like 10ft over the water one can make out waves. Clouds should also not be reflecting in salt water. Definitely a huge downgrade from 2.5.

Salt water or normal water it reflects everything if it is still,

waves shouldn't reflect as much as they do now, the bigger the wave the less it reflects (it actually reflects but we cant notice it cause of all the wrinkles on the water),

simulating wave reflection is a very very heavy task so in my opinion it is good as it is, maybe simplify it and add 3 levels of reflection?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

lol, what??🤣

NcdlbT1AtqMdBbk9fPXRSTSZcYSi8bynDGRm4gOP

9NfHolHHVvn_YQc6vkKIO8BxSle8weWbxvVdsos2

that will exclusively depend on water bumpiness and reflected light from objects.

14 hours ago, fagulha said:

+1 here.

I prefer the water from 2.5 too.

(VR user).

🤦‍♀️

New water definitely needs more work but c'mon!!!!

• Like 3

Take a look at my MODS here

21 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

lol, what??🤣

NcdlbT1AtqMdBbk9fPXRSTSZcYSi8bynDGRm4gOP

9NfHolHHVvn_YQc6vkKIO8BxSle8weWbxvVdsos2

that will exclusively depend on water bumpiness and reflected light from objects.

🤦‍♀️

New water definitely needs more work but c'mon!!!!

Of course it needs more work but as it is i rather use the 2.5 water and no doubt about that. 

The problem itself its not the water but the reflections. 

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Again, there is no sense of structure and waves when flying above 1000 feet - it looks like a sea of stationary glue right now and you don't get a sense of speed or altitude. It's probably the new shaders in 2.7 but the sea did look much better in prior DCS iterations. 

• Like 2

Today i was in LSO platform and tried to close the left eye in VR and water was not shimmering at sea level. If i close the right eye in VR the water on left eye gets a lot of shimmering and that causes a weird effect in VR. Something is going on about shaders not rendering same way both eyes.

And it´s noticeable in deck crew too. When they are close they don´t render sameway both eyes and causes some shimmering effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1. There is zero depth perception over the water, and its far, far too dark. I cant count how many times this patch, for example, i've hit the water notching missiles because I have no idea hew high I am without having to go into the HUD/instruments that just detract from SA in the moment.

Edited by dundun92
  • Thanks 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The right phrase to look for is Fresnel Effect.

The water's reflectivity should change upon viewing angle to be able to correctly sense the height from the surface.

Of course this would be highly complicated to implement fully, but some approximations should me made.

• Thanks 3
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

+1. There is zero depth perception over the water, and its far, far too dark. I cant count how many times this patch, for example, i've hit the water notching missiles because I have no idea hew high I am without having to go into the HUD/instruments that just detract from SA in the moment.
Same here. I actually hit the water once and almost hit it 2-3 times more since 2.7 dropped.

All were cases where I couldn't tell how high I was, without referencing instruments. Prior to 2.7, I didn't have that problem.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, St4rgun said:

The right phrase to look for is Fresnel Effect.

The water's reflectivity should change upon viewing angle to be able to correctly sense the height from the surface.

Of course this would be highly complicated to implement fully, but some approximations should me made.

Absolutely!!, this missing effect is what is making sun reflection over the water to look wrong:

This:

2.thumb.jpg.053bdda2188974bd3bc18c531c27bf53.jpg

Instead of this:

1.jpg.095f778f62a56de86fdf271dbf33f237.jpg

Some improvements are being made in the water so I hope this thing will be one of them. Big water bodies look so odd and wrong without the milky satinated sun reflection...

Edited by Ala12Rv-watermanpc
  • Like 9

Take a look at my MODS here

Agreed. While there have been some good aspects of the change to the water shaders (e.g. wave size now seems appropriate, whereas before they looked far too large especially from very high altitude), more work is needed, particularly in toning down the reflectiveness.

Edited by Aarnoman
  • Like 1

Me too. Remember the complaints of water looking "too tropical" when The Channel map was released? The Channel, Caucasus, and Normandy now look more realistic.

More tropical would be right for PG and I'm not sure what Syrian waters are supposed to look like, so I dunno.  If they could have dark water where it really is dark and clear more tropical

water in PG and the upcoming Marianas, but I guess that would be asking too much. Pacific Island waters are clean & clear, almost like glass. European waters are

more polluted with industrial runoff and therefore murky and dark.

I kinda like the way it is right now, (I think it's more realistic than 2.5.6) but ED is still working on it, like the clouds and weather engine. It's all WIP. Be patient.

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Armchair pilots are the worst. Seriously, this does not belong in the bugs section. It's a matter of taste and opinion, and IMO the water effects look much improved compared to 2.5. 

• Like 5

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.