Is it worth to buy it now ?

jcbb92

9 minutes ago, TobiasA said:

It is simply not modelled. You have no wing flutter, no hung ordnance by overspeeding your AG ordnance, no failed stations or ripped fuel tanks du to over G.

Why would you fly beyond Vne?  Why would you need that?  It's hardly essential to model as it is something you should be going out of your way to avoid.  If you want realism, then fly to the prescribed limits and you won't have those issues.  They are hardly a priority as most users will never put their aircraft in that state to begin with.  This is a discipline issue, not a modelling issue.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Lace:

Why would you fly beyond Vne?  Why would you need that?  It's hardly essential to model as it is something you should be going out of your way to avoid.  If you want realism, then fly to the prescribed limits and you won't have those issues.  They are hardly a priority as most users will never put their aircraft in that state to begin with.  This is a discipline issue, not a modelling issue.

Totally agree with that, yet people do it and complain about it (see above)...
Over-G should be modelled tho.

53 minutes ago, TobiasA said:

It is simply not modelled. You have no wing flutter, no hung ordnance by overspeeding your AG ordnance, no failed stations or ripped fuel tanks du to over G.

Yup, the problem is that since its still very much a WIP, the actual limitations of the jet are simply either not modeled, or poorly modeled. But that seems to be a common problem for DCS, model capabilities, and well limitations, no one likes those..

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I wonder how new feature implementations are going.

Since the hornet has got what it should get in terms of features, engineers, coders should be employed on viper as ED said.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

On 5/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, Lace said:

Personally I would consider flying beyond Vne if I otherwise die. It would be not on the top of my list. It would be a conscious decision.

Very much like overriding the G-limiter in the Hornet or vmax in the F-15 (irl).

In the F-16 you are not being pampered, you are the brains of the operation, you need to keep it in shape. You have no G-limiter, but you yourself have to know the loadout remaining and it's G-tolerances and fly accordingly. Same with speed. 

If you want to fly realistically, start doing all the stuff that's not required, but realistically good for you now. Check cabin pressure when climbing, keep an eye on speed, keep an eye on Gs, etc. Do that fighter pilot stuff. It's incredibly rewarding!

Edited by deadpool
  • Like 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

2 hours ago, deadpool said:

If you want to fly realistically, start doing all the stuff that's not required, but realistically good for you now. Check cabin pressure when climbing, keep an eye on speed, keep an eye on Gs, etc. Do that fighter pilot stuff. It's incredibly rewarding!

I do thanks, and it is.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:27 PM, ebabil said:

Since the hornet has got what it should get in terms of features, engineers, coders should be employed on viper as ED said.

3528778.jpg

Heard that one far too many times....

Edited by Greg B
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2021 at 6:02 AM, deadpool said:

Personally I would consider flying beyond Vne if I otherwise die. It would be not on the top of my list. It would be a conscious decision.

Very much like overriding the G-limiter in the Hornet or vmax in the F-15 (irl).

In the F-16 you are not being pampered, you are the brains of the operation, you need to keep it in shape. You have no G-limiter, but you yourself have to know the loadout remaining and it's G-tolerances and fly accordingly. Same with speed. 

Amusingly the jeff has alot of those "lil details" modeled. Defoging your pit even... Your pilot will get cold etc. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 5/4/2021 at 12:27 PM, ebabil said:

This is essentially a list of changes (excluding minor fixes for things) of end of 2019 till now:

Added EOM (Equation of Motion submode) and PB (Pre-Briefed mode) for POS Mode HARM

Added POS (Position) mode, RUK (Range Unknown) submode for the AGM-88C HARM

AGM-65G/D/H/K adding missing options (let's just say that the mavs never really reliably worked, though)
    Boresight (BSGT) option
    Uncage (allow Maverick gyro to complete 30 seconds earlier)
    It is possible to lock on with two missiles prior to launching the first missile

23.09.2020 Mavericks and Harms!
Added AGM-65D/G/H/K

26.09.2020 TGP Litening

Crash when adding new waypoints fixed!

Added ability to create new waypoints.

FCR Hostiles returning Friendly - Fixed

Fixed Dogfight Mode (I highly doubt that, you will find lots of forum thread entries regarding how radar tracks lag and aren't useful)

Added EEGS Level 5 gunsight

3D cockpit model. Eliminated some gaps and stitches in the forward part of the cockpit.
3D model. Corrected wing flex animation with lights and pylons.

As you can see the big ones are (as were promised) New waypoints on the go + Litening Tpod + Mavericks and Harms in 2020. Those were "our" three big updates.

Now it's been 8 months since anything big hitting the F-16 (minus the clouds, which are awesome, but more of a general thing). 

We haven't had such a "calm" period since ever .. 

• Like 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

2 hours ago, deadpool said:

This is essentially a list of changes (excluding minor fixes for things) of end of 2019 till now:

As you can see the big ones are (as were promised) New waypoints on the go + Litening Tpod + Mavericks and Harms in 2020. Those were "our" three big updates.

Now it's been 8 months since anything big hitting the F-16 (minus the clouds, which are awesome, but more of a general thing). 

We haven't had such a "calm" period since ever .. 

That's a really good summary. Thanks! I feel like EOM and PB modes were significant for me personally. HAS and RUK weren't sufficient for going up against big SAM sites. But maybe that would be considered a small change and HTS would be big. The top things I'm anticipating are flight model tweaks, a proper SPI system and ground target designation with JHMCS.

So for more than 7 months we haven't seen any big additions. Except fixing fast closing speed brakes.

• Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

3 hours ago, ebabil said:

So for more than 7 months we haven't seen any big additions. Except fixing fast closing speed brakes.

Important fix that. Stops me bleeding speed off too slowly when manoeuvring to pickle that pretend JDAM...

Bear in from the list of changes post that the Mavericks were also expected in the April, showing that progress is in fact even worse. But it also clearly shows that whilst platitudes of picking up when the Hornet is finished are trotted out regularly, with the Hornet grinding ever onwards, the delta between the pair extends even further.

There is early access such as the Hornet with a steady stream of updates and additions and there is the Viper early access. Whilst it has been clearly acknowledged by the team in various video interviews that it has been sub optimal and below their expectations, nothing actually really changes apart from slightly indignant posts telling us forgetful people that it is of course early access and we knew that and when the Hornet is finished etc...... 

I like the Viper, fly it the most often of the modules, but not holding my breath for major update anytime soon for the ginger stepchild of the DCS eco system

Edited by Greg B
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Xavven said:

Thanks! I feel like EOM and PB modes were significant for me personally. HAS and RUK weren't sufficient for going up against big SAM sites

Indeed, attacking S-300 sites is now possible without it feeling like a suicide mission, although I can hear the viggen pilots scoff at this..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, TobiasA said:

We have a bubble canopy, can go 9G on many A-A loadouts and Mach 1.4 with drop tanks (Mach 1.8 with many AA loadouts without tanks), we don't have submenus and submenus in other submenus, it is fast, easy and fun to fly, hard to spot and will be an awesome SEAD platform once it has the HTS / HAD.

Only thing on the viper is that there is little to no development on it currently since everyone is working on the hornet and all we get is stuff that can be copy-pasted onto the viper.

Owning the 14, 15, 16 and viggen, the hornet would be my slowest fixed-wing aircraft... Don't know about MiG-29 and Su-33 tho. Come join the viper gang, things are gonna be awesome once they finally finished that slow navy thing.

Well, I bought it (on sale). I can't fly it until I'm back from work, but it's nice to have it waiting. And since I'm on Steam I can try it for two-hours and if it really doesn't grab me, I can return it.

I bought it for the dogfighting and the high speed runs. I'm not much into A2A but I did some gunfights in the Hornet yesterday and it was fun. And apparently the F-16 is better. I don't see getting into too much A2G with it except to do fast hit and runs with dumb bombs. I'll leave the fancy guided ordinance to the Hornet and the Harrier. 

Planes are cool! :happy:

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Yes. 

It is a very easy plane to learn and is fun to fly.

Modules I look forward too: BO-105, OH-58, AH-64, BS3, Eurofighter.
Wishlist: Ah-1 (any variant), HH-60 Pavehawk/ UH-60, A-4, AH6, and F-4

Joystick/Throttle/Rudder pedals: T.16000 Stick, TWCS throttle, and T-Flight rudder pedals.

9 hours ago, TobiasA said:

Nice! Wait for the AG stuff to come, it will be an excellent wild weasel in these days.

And the ride is over. Within five-minutes I knew I didn't enjoy it and hit "refund". The speed is nice, but I don't like the cockpit and I don't feel the love, and for $80Cdn, I better really like the plane. I wanted to like it, but I don't. I'm just a Hornet slob I guess. I appreciate the positive feedback though. :drinks_cheers:

On the plus side, this means more Vipers for the rest of you.

4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

And the ride is over. Within five-minutes I knew I didn't enjoy it and hit "refund". The speed is nice, but I don't like the cockpit and I don't feel the love, and for $80Cdn, I better really like the plane. I wanted to like it, but I don't. I'm just a Hornet slob I guess. I appreciate the positive feedback though. :drinks_cheers:

Meh the speed should be less... much salt will result once it is.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Beirut:

At the current state of the plane I can understand that. 

You should come back later 🙂

5 hours ago, TobiasA said:

At the current state of the plane I can understand that. 

You should come back later 🙂

You may be right, but for me it has a lot to do with the cockpit layout. I just don't like it. I may be the only one, but there it is. I find it a bit too minimal out front and the MFDs are hard to see with my 50+ year-old eyes. I find the Harrier cockpit to be just about perfect, and the Hornet is very good, even with the canopy bar in front. The F-16 makes me feel like I will forever be squinting.  

Steam approved my refund in about an hour, but they always make you wait a day or two to put the cash back in your wallet. Punishment and deterrence I guess.  :laugh:

15 minutes ago, Beirut said:

You may be right, but for me it has a lot to do with the cockpit layout. I just don't like it. I may be the only one, but there it is. I find it a bit too minimal out front and the MFDs are hard to see with my 50+ year-old eyes. I find the Harrier cockpit to be just about perfect, and the Hornet is very good, even with the canopy bar in front. The F-16 makes me feel like I will forever be squinting.  

Steam approved my refund in about an hour, but they always make you wait a day or two to put the cash back in your wallet. Punishment and deterrence I guess.  :laugh:

To each their own. Thanks for giving the Viper a try!

But one thing I can say for your eyes. It might not be their fault. The MFDs are just very hard to see in DCS at the moment 🙂

I guess it's easier to hide incomplete bits when you can't read them 😜

• Like 1