Any way to light up the runways?

Nealius

With the new 2.7 lighting system, the runways (particularly grass strips) are nigh impossible to see under the shadow of a cloud; worse in the mornings and evenings. Combine that with the flak search lights making night missions possible, is there any way to light up the runways? 

Played for the first time on 2.7, doing just navigation by map in spirfire, and ATC and i was unable to find  saint omer, even with atc i am lost spaming. Inbound, abort, inbound, even with start from it, once i flied away, i could not find again by atc cords. In vr. I will try again tommorow, but i am almost feel like atc is pointing me to different location. Had no problem with any england and coastal airfield to find with eyes and map but saint omer is to saint for me to see.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

I wonder if it would be good idea to have lights that can be placed in the mission editor, that can be triggered on or off.

As for the search lights, I think what we could do with is something like the barrage fire, which will just aim the search light at an area.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, Wexler said:

I will try again tommorow, but i am almost feel like atc is pointing me to different location.

It does point you to the initial fix about 5nm from the field. ATC Inbound tells you the active RWY. So when you get to the fix, you'll get radio message to contact ATC*, turn to the RWY heading and fly 5nm from there.

*The ATC will report visual on you whenever you get near the airfield area so that depends on your approach geometry.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

10 minutes ago, draconus said:

It does point you to the initial fix about 5nm from the field. ATC Inbound tells you the active RWY. So when you get to the fix, you'll get radio message to contact ATC, turn to the RWY heading and fly 5nm from there.

Thank you. I realized, that it points me to a point from where I should start lining up to rwy. But I didnt know, that this is the point, when I  am informed about "visual" if thats what you mean. I thought that message is played anytime i am near the airfield. It wasnt reported in the case i wrote earlier anyway.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

1 minute ago, Wexler said:

I thought that message is played anytime i am near the airfield.

Yes, you're right. If you overfly the airfield area you'll be contacted by ATC earlier of course.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

So, there is no runway lights in this map, as opposed to other maps, right?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:35 PM, VFGiPJP said:

So, there is no runway lights in this map, as opposed to other maps, right?

Correct (at least for airfields I've visited on the map).

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I dont know why the runways on DCS are not lighting at all during night landings. Even in supercarrier module there are a lights flashing and night which is very useful in CASE III, but not in runways....its very strange

27 minutes ago, VDV said:

I dont know why the runways on DCS are not lighting at all during night landings.

Not true. Contact friendly ATC first.

• 3 weeks later...

or in mission editor you could add static smoke effects anywhere on runway or positions one on either side of runway to direct you. The ATC command only works on larger airports it seems.🤔

⁼ЅϮгаίϱϦϮеϗ цр, ϜІу ГϊϱϦϮ⁼