Now we have the ATFLIR, will the Litening pod be removed?

Mr_sukebe

Sorry, can't remember if this has already been clarified, but as per the title, will the Litening pod be removed at some point?

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thanks for clarifying.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2021 at 11:52 PM, AvroLanc said:

No it won't.

Still realistic for a Spanish Hornet (although the rest of the aircraft isn't equivalent to an EF-18, but anyway). Also, sort of authentic for a USMC Hornet.

I filed a bugreport about station 4 though.

But I look forward to the G limitations for carrier ops being taken into consideration for the damage model.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Litening is realistic at least when carried Centerline, for USMC based loadout. The only config where its unauthentic for a US operated hornet is Station 4 mount ( cheek station), which is only used by some foreign operators like the Spanish Air force.

So no i wouldn't want the litening removed, nor would i expect it to be.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I hope all the work done and carried out to bring the litening to its current state is not thrown out the window, its a great pod used by hornets (USMC and spanish hornets) so really handy to simulate certain scenarios where uber realism is not required.

The Litening has been carried on the cheek station on USMC Hornets. Though it is extremely rare. I don't really have an opinion on whether it should be a thing in DCS or not (doesn't really matter much when we have the ATFLIR). In general though, I kind of like it when ED leaves plausible things like these in the hands of the players (just like they let us carry fancy infrared Mavericks on our Hornets) instead of disabling them on their end. If it's technically possible I tend to vote for allowing the players to enjoy it, even if it's not really a thing operationally IRL. Granted it doesn't eat up development time from other things (which it doesn't in this case, as it's already in there). 🙂

VMFA-323-Death-Rattlers-154.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bankler said:

The Litening has been carried on the cheek station on USMC Hornets. Though it is extremely rare. I don't really have an opinion on whether it should be a thing in DCS or not (doesn't really matter much when we have the ATFLIR). In general though, I kind of like it when ED leaves plausible things like these in the hands of the players (just like they let us carry fancy infrared Mavericks on our Hornets) instead of disabling them on their end. If it's technically possible I tend to vote for allowing the players to enjoy it, even if it's not really a thing operationally IRL. Granted it doesn't eat up development time from other things (which it doesn't in this case, as it's already in there). 🙂

VMFA-323-Death-Rattlers-154.png

Not plausible for the year our Hornet was build and to when it was updated. The wiring for the adapter wasn't there. I layed it out in the defect thread.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

28 minutes ago, Bankler said:

The Litening has been carried on the cheek station on USMC Hornets. Though it is extremely rare. I don't really have an opinion on whether it should be a thing in DCS or not (doesn't really matter much when we have the ATFLIR). 

If we follow 2005 timeline, then we should have the Nite Hawk pod, instead Litening or ATFLIR. As those two newer were extremely rare (like two per active fleet) for F/A-18C in 2005, priority going to Super Hornets and Hornet D models in USMC. 

But after 2005 the Litening and ATFLIR became more and more available and became eventually selected in service, as in 2005 US Navy and USMC was still testing and searching that what they will pick up for next targeting pod to replace Nite Hawk. 

What ED should do is to model the Nite Hawk pod as the primary targeting pod for Hornet and leave the ATFLIR and Litening for missions that are past 2005 (like 2007-2008).

As it is nice that there is option for the future targeting pods in our Hornet, but would be even nicer to have the proper targeting pod available for our Hornet. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 4/17/2021 at 5:46 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

Sorry, can't remember if this has already been clarified, but as per the title, will the Litening pod be removed at some point?

The real Hornet can carry the Litening pod, so it will probably stay. The real plane can also carry infrared-guided Mavericks, so they're in the sim too. Apparently, it's very rare for the Hornet to carry either one in real life, but since it's technically possible they will probably stay.

For best realism though, just use the ATFLIR pod and only laser Mavericks.

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

On 5/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, Furiz said:

Doesn't make any sense to remove a pod they were working on for some time anyway.

No it doesn't. It is/would be nice that technically compatible targeting pod is maintained as it allows to generate some different missions and eras.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Just leave them both as is they were a different times in their history and missions maker make the choice..

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

4 hours ago, Q3ark said:

Why are people getting so hung up on this? Just don’t use the thing. This is nothing more than a case of “people aren’t playing the game the way I want them to” 

agreed.  Whilst I opened the thread, it was only out of curiosity.  

• Like 3