The "Normandy 1944" Billboards are getting out of hand

Aarnoman

I would first like to congratulate Ugra on the many additions brought to Syria in 2.7, with the increased detail in Israel and border regions and additions of new airfiels being particularly notable.

However, one change to the map has significantly lessened my enjoyment of the map, particularly in low level flight: The multitude of "Normandy 1944" billboards sprawled across every single settlement of the map.

Example:

Screen_210417_234800_result.png

Screen_210417_234642_result.png

These billboards were fun at first, but by the second heli flight they were simply annoying and immersion breaking.

Can we please either have these billboards changed to Syria-appropriate banners that fit in with the world (and have some variety between them), or alternatively remove them altogether?
Many thanks,

Yoyo

Edited by Aarnoman
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 9

• ED Team

Hi all

I have made a report for the team about this. 

thanks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have created a ticket regarding this very issue, which is driving me crazy when flying the Mi-8 around Syria Map now.

Here is the latest response, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hello Phil.

just to follow up on this the team agree there are to many billboards and it will be adjusted in a future patch

Thank you for you feedback

Edited by filda_33
  • Like 1

The number of billboards I probably wouldn't mind (although it does seem a little excessive), but the problem is, they all say the same thing. ArmA3 did it best: they had a community contest to make up fictional advertisements to be plastered over the map. There's enough of them that it feels natural. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

The number of billboards I probably wouldn't mind (although it does seem a little excessive), but the problem is, they all say the same thing. ArmA3 did it best: they had a community contest to make up fictional advertisements to be plastered over the map. There's enough of them that it feels natural. 

What did they win?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 12:13 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

I have made a report for the team about this. 

thanks

Hope those billboards will ALL disapear as soon as possible. I bought a map to be just realistic. It's not a free map so no advertising PLEASE !

Edited by sunski34
  • Like 6

Just watched HIP's video on the Hind and Apache.  

He's using the Syria map for the video.  Unfortunately the incredibly annoying billboards are extremely distracting.  Once you see em, you can't NOT see them all over the place.

image.png

image.png

Love your work, Ugra!  No need to spam us on your Normandy map.  Your reputation for quality and superior results stands on its own.  Please remove those billboards.  Thanks.

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 7

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Syria is my absolute go to map. But even in the smallest of towns you hardly get a nice screenshot angle without those annoying bilboards virtually everywhere.
Please Ugra Media - a few of them in the big cities are a nice easter egg, but they need to be reduced - drastically.

• Like 6

Modules: all, except for the Dora

My missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Don rudi/apply/

Primary system: i7-13700k, RTX 4080, 32 GB, Win 11, Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha with 5cm extension, Virpil CM2 throttle, Virpil Ace Interceptor pedals, Virpil Rotor TCS base + Blackshark grip, Winwing Triple MFD and ICP, 34" UWHQD screen
Acer Nitro i7-10700, RTX 3060, 64 GB, Virpiel Rotor TCS base + Blackhawk grip, Virpiel Ace Torq pedals, 34" UWHQD screen

Imho, just remove them entirely and stick the DLC adds on the loading screens. We all sit idle and stare at a progressbar anyway.

• Like 10

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

In my opinion, the best advertisement they can make, is to just offer a good map. And for me, those billboards do the exact opposite.

They kill the immersion and the amount of them is simply stupid. That is a reason for me to not buy any map from them again.
Why would I buy the Normandy map if I would risk watching at "Syria" billboards all over France ?

Yes, remove them completely, an ad during the loading screen would be acceptable, but everything else is just annoying.

• Like 9

Please ask them to remove this entirely, there is literally zero reason to advertise another map in a game that strives for realism. It's honestly so infuriating and tacky and can't believe they still haven't done anything about it.

Edited by Aarnoman
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Now the ads are even in the Release update. Does not seem like anybody is doing anything about it. So what is the deal here? We have been repeatedly told that the ads would be reduced, yet nothing has been done and seeing them in the Release version certainly does not show any effort to remove them. Can somebody please give us a straight answer? Will the ads be removed or not? If not, will a refund be offered? To degrade a product to this extent after it has been paid for is absolutely unacceptable.

Syria-ads-Release.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, filda_33 said:

Now the ads are even in the Release update. Does not seem like anybody is doing anything about it. So what is the deal here? We have been repeatedly told that the ads would be reduced, yet nothing has been done and seeing them in the Release version certainly does not show any effort to remove them. Can somebody please give us a straight answer? Will the ads be removed or not? If not, will a refund be offered? To degrade a product to this extent after it has been paid for is absolutely unacceptable.

Syria-ads-Release.jpg

There hasn't been an update for Syria for quite some time.  Most likely they are waiting until they can release Cyprus to release an update that will probably remove the billboards and fix plenty of other bugs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArjenHVA said:

Patchnotes:

• The number of banners in populated areas has been reduced.

I saw

Personally would have rather seen them removed entirely, but ah well. Anyone able to check it out yet?

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

3 hours ago, sirrah said:

Personally would have rather seen them removed entirely, but ah well. Anyone able to check it out yet?

I just checked out a mission that I am working on ... all the billlboards that were visible in the past are gone.  YMMV, but my quick glance seems quite positive.  😊

• Like 3

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod