DCS 2.7 and Multi Res Monitors

Detent666

I'm having an issue on my multi resolution monitor setup, left and right monitors are 22" 1920x1080 and centre is 32" 2560x1440 everything was Ok in 2.5 with a custom lua. Now in 2.7 left and right monitors suffer from displaced textures, river bed is at ground level whilst water and reflections are looking like they are at different heights or going through clouds there is an open area next to a cockpit texture. Only changes in the lua are the screen sizes. Image and lua added. If I switch to the standard 3 monitor setup with all monitors equal the issue is gone.

Any help would be appreciated

multi 1.png

shadow.png

3Cameras_Cus2.lua

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2021 at 4:06 AM, Iceman555 said:

You have to use the newer 3 screen default monitorconfig.lua as a starting point for setting yours up.  this may help too

POST FIX HERE - 2.7 update messed up my 3-screen setup - Multi Monitor Bugs - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

This is not helping for monitor setup with different resolutions specified. It worked flawlessly with pre-2.7. Now it's broken. 

On 4/17/2021 at 12:15 AM, Detent666 said:

I'm having an issue on my multi resolution monitor setup, left and right monitors are 22" 1920x1080 and centre is 32" 2560x1440 everything was Ok in 2.5 with a custom lua. Now in 2.7 left and right monitors suffer from displaced textures, river bed is at ground level whilst water and reflections are looking like they are at different heights or going through clouds there is an open area next to a cockpit texture. Only changes in the lua are the screen sizes. Image and lua added. If I switch to the standard 3 monitor setup with all monitors equal the issue is gone.

Any help would be appreciated

3Cameras_Cus2.lua 2.22 kB · 16 downloads

In my opinion, if your monitorconfig.lua viewports were to be configured like this, where you enter the actual number of pixels of height instead of (screenheight) it would solve your problem, because the screenheights are indeed not the same.  

Viewports = 
{
     Left = 
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 1920;
          height = 1080;
          viewDx = -1;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.77;
     },

Center = 
     {
          x = 1920;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.77;
     },

Right = 
     {
          x = 4480;
          y = 0;
          width = 1920;
          height = 1080;
          viewDx = 1;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.77;
     }
}

Now, how wide in inches are the borders on the edges of your screens?  you can use viewDx = 1.xxxxxxxx              meaning .xxxxxxxxx is the fraction of the overall pixels that is the width of the screen border in pixels.  this will align your screens to look like one seamless picture.

Edited by Iceman555

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

On 6/15/2021 at 12:55 AM, Wrcknbckr said:

This is not helping for monitor setup with different resolutions specified. It worked flawlessly with pre-2.7. Now it's broken. 

Will you tell me your monitors' dimensions and resolutions and share your monitorconfig.lua file?  I want to see if I recognize any errors.  Thanks.

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

On 6/16/2021 at 8:12 PM, Iceman555 said:

Will you tell me your monitors' dimensions and resolutions and share your monitorconfig.lua file?  I want to see if I recognize any errors.  Thanks.

Thank you for offering to look at it!

Basically I have a 3-screen setup consisting of 2x27" monitors (center and right) and one 32" tv-screen (left). All are 1920x1080. The side monitors are  placed at a 45 deg angle. I would like to force the viewport on the 32" to match the two 27"s.

The parameters in the .lua file accommodate for the 45 angle placement and bezel (copied from internet). I adapted these parameters for the left screen by trial and error. It worked flawlessly for 2.5.6.  

Now using the same lua with 2.7 the water is missing (offset?), a displaced black rear-view mirror image, the new clouds have an offset (placed in front of mountains, are edgy and are masked by aircraft. Effects that look like the SSAA1.5 bug, a few weeks ago (https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/272984-clouds-issue-with-ssaa-15-in-new-patch/)
I experimented with resolution, FOV and dx dy values, but to no avail. I hope someone can make sense of this. Am I missing something? Does anyone have its 32" working with a 27" viewport?
Note that the left image is stretched downward to fill the 32" monitor, matching view with the 27" screen.

3CamerasDiffSizes.lua

Screen_210616_231318.gif

On 6/15/2021 at 8:40 AM, Iceman555 said:

In my opinion, if your monitorconfig.lua viewports were to be configured like this, where you enter the actual number of pixels of height instead of (screenheight) it would solve your problem, because the screenheights are indeed not the same.  

Viewports = 
{
     Left = 
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 1920;
          height = 1080;
          viewDx = -1;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.77;
     },

Center = 
     {
          x = 1920;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.77;
     },

Right = 
     {
          x = 4480;
          y = 0;
          width = 1920;
          height = 1080;
          viewDx = 1;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.77;
     }
}

Now, how wide in inches are the borders on the edges of your screens?  you can use viewDx = 1.xxxxxxxx              meaning .xxxxxxxxx is the fraction of the overall pixels that is the width of the screen border in pixels.  this will align your screens to look like one seamless picture.

Many apologies Iceman555 I've not been on the forum for a while. It makes no difference if I use absolute values the issues with texture levels persist only disappearing if I use the same size for all monitors I've even changed the values for the screens in the custom lua between my required and all the same and the problem comes and goes.

6 hours ago, Detent666 said:

Many apologies Iceman555 I've not been on the forum for a while. It makes no difference if I use absolute values the issues with texture levels persist only disappearing if I use the same size for all monitors I've even changed the values for the screens in the custom lua between my required and all the same and the problem comes and goes.

I attached a .lua I think you might want to try to see if there's any improvement?  What are the widths of the borders between your screens?  ( so I can calculate a dx = for each side monitor) 

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful, many are encountering this issue.  Did you read the thread shared by Flappie above?  Maybe there's a fix in there.

3Cameras_Cus2-IcemansEdit.lua

Edited by Iceman555

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

19 hours ago, Wrcknbckr said:

Thank you for offering to look at it!

Basically I have a 3-screen setup consisting of 2x27" monitors (center and right) and one 32" tv-screen (left). All are 1920x1080. The side monitors are  placed at a 45 deg angle. I would like to force the viewport on the 32" to match the two 27"s.

The parameters in the .lua file accommodate for the 45 angle placement and bezel (copied from internet). I adapted these parameters for the left screen by trial and error. It worked flawlessly for 2.5.6.  

Now using the same lua with 2.7 the water is missing (offset?), a displaced black rear-view mirror image, the new clouds have an offset (placed in front of mountains, are edgy and are masked by aircraft. Effects that look like the SSAA1.5 bug, a few weeks ago (https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/272984-clouds-issue-with-ssaa-15-in-new-patch/)
I experimented with resolution, FOV and dx dy values, but to no avail. I hope someone can make sense of this. Am I missing something? Does anyone have its 32" working with a 27" viewport?
Note that the left image is stretched downward to fill the 32" monitor, matching view with the 27" screen.

3CamerasDiffSizes.lua 2.61 kB · 3 downloads

Screen_210616_231318.gif

can you give me the dimensions in inches for height and width of each of your screens, as well as the physical widths of the edges of your screens?  Is your left screen centered vertically or flush with the top or bottom of the middle and right screen?

Here are some edits I made, I wonder if they will make a difference with the graphics bugs.

3CamerasDiffSizes-IcemanEdit.lua

Edited by Iceman555

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

MNissen has found a workaround that works: you have to use the same resolution for all your monitors (the largest one), then tell DCS to offset the image for a monitor when it's necessary. Backdraw: your GPU will produce more pixels than your monitors can display... for nothing.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Backdraw: your GPU will produce more pixels than your monitors can display... for nothing.

It's true, with the stock - 3 cameras .lua at 6400x1600, 4,  I was getting 26FPS

with my new - 3 cameras 7680x1600, 4.8,  I'm getting 22~24 FPS

so yes, more pixels being pumped out than I need...

mind you, with head tracking, I've pre-loaded the "edges"  🙂

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

On 6/22/2021 at 4:58 AM, Iceman555 said:

can you give me the dimensions in inches for height and width of each of your screens, as well as the physical widths of the edges of your screens?  Is your left screen centered vertically or flush with the top or bottom of the middle and right screen?

Here are some edits I made, I wonder if they will make a difference with the graphics bugs.

1.13 kB · 3 downloads

I tried your .lua (thanks again!) and as expected by using similar resolution, the graphics bugs are no longer there. Just that the image on left (bigger) screen does not fit with the rest. I think that is the main problem; the physical dimensions of the left bigger screen requires fiddling with the other parameters to match the image, resulting in the graphical anomalies.

The screens are flush with the top of the center screen. As for the physical dimensions they are; 
Left screen; 26.6x15.6 with 0.3inch bezel,
Center/right screen; 23.6x13.4 with 0.8inch bezel. I'm curious as how you determine the dx and dy values..

I'm also experimenting with the other solution given here, no success though. It's hard to get the images aligned.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:58 AM, Wrcknbckr said:

I tried your .lua (thanks again!) and as expected by using similar resolution, the graphics bugs are no longer there. Just that the image on left (bigger) screen does not fit with the rest. I think that is the main problem; the physical dimensions of the left bigger screen requires fiddling with the other parameters to match the image, resulting in the graphical anomalies.

The screens are flush with the top of the center screen. As for the physical dimensions they are; 
Left screen; 26.6x15.6 with 0.3inch bezel,
Center/right screen; 23.6x13.4 with 0.8inch bezel. I'm curious as how you determine the dx and dy values..

I'm also experimenting with the other solution given here, no success though. It's hard to get the images aligned.

Oh, so set the aspect ratio of your left screen back to 1920/1080, see if that fixes the proportion.  

To account for the bezel I would do dx=1+ 0.3"/26.6" =1.0112781955

for the left screen

and

Dx=-(1+0.8"/23.6") =-1.0338983051

for your right screen.

this way your canopy struts should align seamlessly

• Thanks 1

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

On 6/22/2021 at 3:51 AM, Iceman555 said:

I attached a .lua I think you might want to try to see if there's any improvement?  What are the widths of the borders between your screens?  ( so I can calculate a dx = for each side monitor) 

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful, many are encountering this issue.  Did you read the thread shared by Flappie above?  Maybe there's a fix in there.

3Cameras_Cus2-IcemansEdit.lua 847 B · 0 downloads

Thanks for the help, just tried your lua  but the same results two pics attached and as I've said before the anomolies only occur on the two side monitors not the central monitor. This has only happened since the move from 2.5 to 2.7.

Screen_210625_193011.png

Screen_210625_193120.png

On 6/22/2021 at 2:09 AM, MNissen said:

It's true, with the stock - 3 cameras .lua at 6400x1600, 4,  I was getting 26FPS

How do you preload the edges, and, what is your preload radius?

9 hours ago, Detent666 said:

Thanks for the help, just tried your lua  but the same results two pics attached and as I've said before the anomolies only occur on the two side monitors not the central monitor. This has only happened since the move from 2.5 to 2.7.

Screen_210625_193011.png

Screen_210625_193120.png

So tell me again the height and width of each screen, and particulars about where the side screens sit in relation to the top of the center screen (flush, or centered?) And the bezel (space in inches) between the viewable screen where your monitors meet, and tell me the max resolution of each monitor, I'll check if there's something to correct.

see MNissens example below.  Try setting your monitorconfig.lua so all the screens are the same size and resolution.

Edited by Iceman555

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

1 hour ago, Iceman555 said:
On 6/22/2021 at 8:09 PM, MNissen said:

Expand  

How do you preload the edges, and, what is your preload radius?

I'm not sure that I used 'preload' correctly, please see the below images for my understanding of what is happening.

Please also note that the images may not be, exactly perfect.

1st image, is what I imagine, that DCS is 'calculating' for display:  7680 x 1600    divided by 3 ~ in the in-game settings

DCS-world-01.jpg

2nd image is how I think I'm telling DCS what to actually do:  

Red is the 3 x 2560 x 1600  screens, I've told DCS about in the   .lua file ~ the 1st one starting at -640 left

Black is the actual monitors I have plugged in 1 x 1920 x 1200, 1 x 2650 x 1600, 1 x 1920 x 1200, bearing in mind that the lefthand monitor is also the Windows 10 primary monitor.

DCS-world-02.jpg

I hope that is clearer.

Edited by MNissen

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

Ok, I suppose your GPU is generating more image than you see on screenspace, but if that's what it takes to get the 2.7 graphics to work, then you do what you have to, right?  I'll bet you can solve Detent's 666 problem now.  

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

In my humble opinion, based on what worked for me:

On 4/17/2021 at 6:15 PM, Detent666 said:

left and right monitors are 22" 1920x1080 and centre is 32" 2560x1440

DCS needs to be told that the 3 monitors are 7680x 1440 in the in-game settings and that should give an aspect of something like 5.33333

like mine, the left one needs to start -640

all are aligned vertically starting at 0

I can't test this, so here are the figures:

---------------

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('3Cameras-3x2560');
Description = 'Configuration with 3 - 22" 32" 22" monitors, each with its own camera Test version'
Viewports = 
{
     Left = 
     {
          x = -640;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = -1;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.7778;
     },

Center = 
     {
          x = 1920;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.7778;
     },

Right = 
     {
          x = 4480;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 1;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 1.7778;
     }
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center
GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

--[[

should display less than a canvas of 4k-ish?  need to set the in-game as 7680 x 1440 5.33333?

--]]

---------------

and here is the file:

3Cameras-3x2560.lua

Edited by MNissen

Thanks MNissen, didn't even think of going larger. Works like a dream just got to test on a crowded mission I'm running an Nvidia 2060 so hopefully the overhead of non displayed pixels wont give me any problems........may be the excuse to get another graphics card (if any available)

Thanks also to Iceman for helping.

Pic of my setup attached for those interested.

Scan - 2021-06-27 13_15_52.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool, that's a great set up!

Mine are aligned at the top edge, now you've got me thinking, about pulling the side monitors down.  The reason I did top, was I thought that I'd see more sky and opponents up there, and less side of cockpit.  But then, so far I spend 80% of my time, figuring out how to make this all work on a 12 yr old Mac and 20%, on learning the planes 🙂

Great pastime this 🙂

Edited by MNissen

On thinking, yes there is an overhead of "non displayed" pixels.  Hopefully DCS will factor in a, three different sized monitors, setting in the future. hint hint...

Now that I've sorted my textures, I've been playing with skins, for any that are interested, here is my Green Croc for the SU-25T:

Green-Croc.jpg

• Like 1