Operation Scarlet Dawn not saving persistency

I have sanitized the mission scripting.lua by commenting out the appropriate lines, just like do for DCE campaigns. Scarlet Dawn, Snowfox, Clear Field etc are all supposed to create two new lua files in the main DCS directory to keep track of destroyed units and statics, captured bases etc. But I can never find those files for any of these missions. Every time I start it says up at the top that 0 units have been removed, even when I destroy multiple sam sites and planes. 

Does anyone have these missions working? For some reason Big Newey locked all of their corresponding forums and the author Surrexen doesn't seem to be active anymore. 

Thank you!

I've tried it in singleplayer and multi. I host the server on the same machine that I run DCS on. DCE and Liberation both work just fine. I'm just commenting out in the mission scripting.lua in my local DCS directory.

16 minutes ago, frenzon said:

They all work well for us - just to check - if you're running it on an MP server are you commenting out the MissionScripting.lua file in the server install directory rather than the client directory?

Can you tell me where the two lua files are created that save persistency? 

I'm having the same issue. I run a version of Surexens missions on my server that I've modded for our dedicated server and group. The thing was working perfectly up until the 2.7 update. After the update I can't get any of the persistant world missions to export or write new internment luas. they'll read but they do not write. I have checked missionscripting.lua, I've made sure the slmod config is right. I tried to run it locally without slmod and missionscripting.lua is correctly commented out. I've tried running as admin. I'm at a loss now.

12900K | MSI Z690 | STRIX RTX3090 | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz | NVMe Storage gen3 | Custom Loop | Valve Index

That's frustrating, I'm sorry I don't know what else to check. It's possible it's something random in 2.7 that broke a script somewhere. Still working fine for me though. Have you tried just running Scarlet Dawn unmodified and just see if the lua's get written that way?

The persistancy is saved on our servers. Nevertheless, the mission crashing constantly (all of surrexens missions crashes with 2.7) on our servers (sometimes after 10 min, sometimes after 4h).

Did you check the DCS root and the \log paths for th files?

and try to add some env.info( "BLABLA") in the lua as checkpoints.

Scripting luas not executed when an error occured. Maybe the mission / script crshing before it has a change to use io.write...

Thanks, yeah we ran 4 hours last Friday and nothing saved. Then this Friday when I started to I noticed it. I'll check logs but we didn't get crashing, but just no saves

12900K | MSI Z690 | STRIX RTX3090 | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz | NVMe Storage gen3 | Custom Loop | Valve Index

10 hours ago, Astronaut said:

Thanks, yeah we ran 4 hours last Friday and nothing saved. Then this Friday when I started to I noticed it. I'll check logs but we didn't get crashing, but just no saves

The Scripting Engine is very well protected by DCS (I wish ED would be so strict with DCS itself). Some ERROR can trigger a stop of execution of the lua.

I think you have to wait for the official 2.7 Versions from Surexxon. Testing of the new Version of Scarlet Dawn has allready started.

I was able to fix the persistency issue. It wasn't in Surrexen's with but my frankinstein hack job mods to add the base capture script to clearfield persistent world. Still can't find in the logs why it crashes on load. Only happens if I load the mission, exit and try to reload it. Log isn't really taking me much.  Btw thanks for making all these and sorry for the sacrilege of adding IADS 😁

Edited by Astronaut

On 4/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, thornx said:

The persistancy is saved on our servers. Nevertheless, the mission crashing constantly (all of surrexens missions crashes with 2.7) on our servers (sometimes after 10 min, sometimes after 4h).

Did you check the DCS root and the \log paths for th files?

and try to add some env.info( "BLABLA") in the lua as checkpoints.

Scripting luas not executed when an error occured. Maybe the mission / script crshing before it has a change to use io.write...

This helped me solve my issues so thanks!

1 hour ago, Astronaut said:

I was able to fix the persistency issue. It wasn't in Surrexen's with but my frankinstein hack job mods to add the base capture script to clearfield persistent world. Still can't find in the logs why it crashes on load. Only happens if I load the mission, exit and try to reload it. Log isn't really taking me much.  Btw thanks for making all these and sorry for the sacrilege of adding IADS 😁

Oh dear. You're not going to like me very much in the next day or two.

34 minutes ago, Surrexen said:

Oh dear. You're not going to like me very much in the next day or two.

Oh no, can't wait to see why lol

I still have that problem on snowfox. I have changed the write permissions on the main Eagle dynamics DCS.openbeta folder, then i changed the missionscript lua in that folder. i still can not get it to create the other 2 lua files anywhere.... cant find them, mission starts from the beginning.

is it maybe not writing to .openbeta?

I am sooo keen on your mission, its so cool, i want to play with my brother on a private hosted MP. Cant figure out how to save the progress.

thank you for your work.

15 hours ago, comcat said:

I still have that problem on snowfox. I have changed the write permissions on the main Eagle dynamics DCS.openbeta folder, then i changed the missionscript lua in that folder. i still can not get it to create the other 2 lua files anywhere.... cant find them, mission starts from the beginning.

is it maybe not writing to .openbeta?

I am sooo keen on your mission, its so cool, i want to play with my brother on a private hosted MP. Cant figure out how to save the progress.

thank you for your work.

I updated all missions except for Scarlet Dawn for 2.7 a few days ago so make sure you get the latest version for 2.7 compatibility. If you have already done that, It is probably a user permission issue for write access to the folder. Try running DCS as an admin, run the mission for 6 minutes and then check your DCS World folder (the installation folder, not the saved games folder) for the generated lua's. If the lua's are not present, stop the mission and check the log to see what the error is.

Operation Scarlet Dawn's 2.7 update is still in the manufactorum.

Edited by Surrexen

8 hours ago, Surrexen said:

I updated all missions except for Scarlet Dawn for 2.7 a few days ago so make sure you get the latest version for 2.7 compatibility. If you have already done that, It is probably a user permission issue for write access to the folder. Try running DCS as an admin, run the mission for 6 minutes and then check your DCS World folder (the installation folder, not the saved games folder) for the generated lua's. If the lua's are not present, stop the mission and check the log to see what the error is.

Operation Scarlet Dawn's 2.7 update is still in the manufactorum.

Thank you that did the trick.Great work. thatnk you.

Of course there was an update just now.....start over again.

One quick question: do i tun it as admin every time now? I guess yes?

again thank you!!!!

2 hours ago, comcat said:

Thank you that did the trick.Great work. thatnk you.

Of course there was an update just now.....start over again.

One quick question: do i tun it as admin every time now? I guess yes?

again thank you!!!!

You can either do that, or grant the user you want to run it as the appropriate windows permissions to the DCS installation folder.

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Spartan111sqn said:

Thanks for such awesome work.

I am noob here, how is supposed that i can "save" and continue the campaign where i left before?

Any explanation or advice is more than welcome.

Please look at the main thread and read the instructions on the first page of it here: 

• Like 1

Thanks, I have the files you mention, but after 40mins i exit dcs and come back to the mission and it continues starting at 8 a.m. in the morning, maybe with the results of the previous one, my question, is the clock also moving or always start the mission at the same time?

Edited by Spartan111sqn

On 11/1/2021 at 5:33 PM, Spartan111sqn said:

Thanks, I have the files you mention, but after 40mins i exit dcs and come back to the mission and it continues starting at 8 a.m. in the morning, maybe with the results of the previous one, my question, is the clock also moving or always start the mission at the same time?

No the time doesn't advance when you start the mission again, DCS can't do that. You have to set the time in the mission editor if you want it to be different

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Y’all know you can just change the persistency file paths in the scripts to a path of your liking right? For example, I use “Saved Games/DCS/Missions/Syria/Operation Scarlet Dawn/“

That way you don’t have to run DCS as admin either, and you keep the persistency files together with the mission file nice and tidy. 

If anyone need instructions on where to make these changes you can PM me. 

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick