Weird looking ship wake/wave pattern in 2.7.

Skysurfer

Seems like since 2.7 dynamic waves became more noticeable and pronounced. This however creates a pretty odd and unlrealistic triangular wave pattern behind the ship. The actual turbulent, white water behind the ship should be more visible instead and it also looks like the Super Carrier sits rather high in the water and yo can see the red underside of the ship while it's steaming along in fairly calm waters. This does not seem realistic ad most videos and pictures you see online don't seem to show this. 

Screen_210415_204520.png

Screen_210415_204529.png

Screen_210415_204535.png

• Like 5

I was just going to bring it up...   agreed!:cry:

I noticed the performance improvement on my rig tho' but the water in general looks too 'glassy' even with wind and the wake... I wish ED gave us the wake back from 2 years ago.

Edited by Gripes323

To be fair, there are times when you can see the waterline, it just depends on the sea state. I think the waves in the wake do look funny. Something is off but I can't put my finger on it.

Edit: it is an improvement though!

Edited by Jackjack171

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

This is simply wrong - no such effect IRL. Please just leave the diagonal wakes and add more white trail (depending on speed).

• Like 7

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

It's clear that the wakes still have a way to go, they look a bit better than the previous in most cases.

Here though, the end of the wake suddenly stops making it look like a solid triangle of wake. 

We're still missing a white trail, which as draconus said should be much longer at higher speeds:

a-view-of-the-wake-left-by-the-nuclear-p

bc48mdca5g121.jpg

Looking at the last picture, shouldn't the diagonal waves become sharper and sharper and the ship increases speed?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

30 minutes ago, draconus said:

This is simply wrong - no such effect IRL. Please just leave the diagonal wakes and add more white trail (depending on speed).

+1 here.

The diagonal wakes are a pain in VR for visual reference with the landing area....

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Well, the issue I described is simply the flat, reflective look of water at anything above 200ft, you dont see any waves or sea structure like you could before 2.7. The ship wake and the linear 3d waves are also pretty immersion breaking - waves don't behave this way and if anything spread in width and decrease in amplitude the farther they separete from the ship. Hopefully this area gets improved sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Problem actually, ED use some SSD/TGA archives to simulate ships and trails from Lomac / FC times.

Some solucions

1 - ED build personalized wakes on any ship (easy but unrealistic meanwhile build steep 2)

2 - ED build a realistic wave / particle system effects based on a coded ship / 3D sea engine (hard, long term but realistic) with own API or Phoenis FD or similar software implement on ED engine.

• Like 2

Longer wake also helps with lining up on initial. Back when the Hornet first released the wakes were longer on the freeware carriers, and it wasn't too hard to get a good initial lineup. Now you only have the TACAN CRS line to work off of, and I constantly end up too far to one side or the other. It's even worse in the Tomcat with the compass going off into lala land from the ship's magnetic field. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

I have marked this report reported earlier, ship wakes is something we will be improving 

thanks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Perhaps this brief overview (4+ minutes) of wave generation mechanics/physics here will be of assistance:

• Like 1

ThinkPad X1 Carbon G6 | i7-8550U 1.8-4 GHz | 16GB LPDDR3-2133 MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD | Win10 x64

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box | 8GB GDDR6-14000MHz | 3x Dell U2412M for 5760x1200

CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals