How do I remove the baked in reflections in cockpit, they look terrible in VR?

Lurker

Like the topic says, is there a way to remove the baked in cockpit reflections in the L39C? I like this little plane a lot, and use it to explore when a new patch like the 2.7 hits, but the reflections are terrible. Is there any way to get a "clear" canopy in VR? 

Thank you in advance. 

• Like 5

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I don't think you can without doing some texture modification but given it's in the L-39s main texture folder (and not the liveries folder) it isn't something I'd want to go messing around with personally.

My wish is that ED will provide an option to turn the reflections in the canopy on/off like they've done for the F-16CM and F/A-18C.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I hope that they fix this, or simply remove it. The L39C is a fun little jet, great for messing around really but now it's consigned to the hangar until ED fixes this. Seems that people have kind of forgotten about this little trainer jet. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

There is a solution but the texture must be in livery (texture and line in description.lua) or in cockpit mod (if you are speaking about helmet reflection in both cockpit) for others don't know. 

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, Morpheus said:

Can you try this and tell if it is what you want ? (OvGME Ready, every update will brake it) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ThSJyofcqAYBXexMqlPCGYpGF3B15YEa/view?usp=sharing

I don't want to use mods, as I play on the Beta branch exclusively and just don't want to deal with the hassle of mods breaking stuff, ruining performance, etc. This falls squarely in ED's lap. They need to get one of their texture artists to take a look at the L39C canopy in VR. It's almost unusable, and should be removed. 

It's your choice, I prefer mods to make my DCS as I want and get pleasure, it's just a texture so no drop fps and no ruining performance. Be patient young padawan, this can take monts/years before ED looks at your problem ..........

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, Lurker said:

I don't want to use mods, as I play on the Beta branch exclusively and just don't want to deal with the hassle of mods breaking stuff, ruining performance, etc. This falls squarely in ED's lap. They need to get one of their texture artists to take a look at the L39C canopy in VR. It's almost unusable, and should be removed. 

It shouldn't break anything and if you use JSGME or OVGME you can remove it again in seconds so no biggy. The back catalogue rarely gets updated these days so I wouldn't hold your breath on a quick fix even if it seems simple to you.

• 1 month later...

hello. You can also try my mod: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/207154-3dmigoto-vr-mod-for-dcs-label-masking-color-enhancement-sharpen-fxaa-copypaste-of-radio-msg. It us IC compatible as no files of thé game are modified. It's a kind of super Reshade. But all planes are not handled.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

48 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

hello. You can also try my mod: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/207154-3dmigoto-vr-mod-for-dcs-label-masking-color-enhancement-sharpen-fxaa-copypaste-of-radio-msg. It us IC compatible as no files of thé game are modified. It's a kind of super Reshade. But all planes are not handled.

Something in the mod reduces the reflection on L-39 canopy ? Because these one are textures and specular 🤔

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Something in the mod reduces the reflection on L-39 canopy ? Because these one are textures and specular 🤔

I do not know...If the L-39 share the shaders (that is small graphic rendering program) with other modules it will. If not, it won't, unless you use the Keygetys shader mod in complement of mine.

I included in the mod for kegetys mod a more general feature for all cockpit glasses, but Kegetys mod is modifying some game files, so it is not IC...

You should try, check for su25T then for L-39...

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reflective effect is very good, and it is very close to reality. Please remember that this is a simulation game. Don’t give up the realism for the gameplay. If you sit in a cockpit without glass reflection, it’s unimaginable. Maybe it’s a good idea to add an option. Method.

Inte 12700KF/ 32GB@3600MHz/ RTX2080/ 2T NVMe /Hp Reverb G1 

On 7/1/2021 at 10:36 AM, Lurker said:

Had the very same attitude towards mods (at least the ones that tinker with the main installation) and was reluctant towards mod managers. But at some point the strain was to big and I learned a little about what and how OVGME does (pretty simple tbh) and tried it. Absolutely no regrets.

Since the deactivation of a mod replaces the modded file with its backuped original counterpart (all managed by OVGME but easily controlable), there is really no danger of any harm.

In the worst case, you can always do a slow repair to get to square one - and the super sweet thing, you can just reapply any mod that worked for you.

DCS without mods is really not used to its full potential. (imho 🤗)

EDIT: On the original topic btw: You are absolutly right! Baked in reflections are upsetting. It's even worse in the dark. At least an option to disable them would be a relief!

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

14 hours ago, HiWeee said:

I think the reflective effect is very good, and it is very close to reality. Please remember that this is a simulation game. Don’t give up the realism for the gameplay. If you sit in a cockpit without glass reflection, it’s unimaginable. Maybe it’s a good idea to add an option. Method.

Have you tried it in VR? I doubt it's like that in reality as in VR it looks like someone painted the inside of the canopy glass with white paint. It's horrible and there is no excuse not to update it since it works great in other modules. 

Edited by Lurker

I have been playing DCS in VR for three years, and I have never felt that the cockpit reflective effect has any effect on me. Obviously ED has carefully simulated this effect. The reflective effect does have an impact on the  sight, but it is the same in reality. If it is for gameplay Asking to remove this effect is contrary to the original intention of the simulation game.

Inte 12700KF/ 32GB@3600MHz/ RTX2080/ 2T NVMe /Hp Reverb G1 

37 minutes ago, HiWeee said:

I have been playing DCS in VR for three years, and I have never felt that the cockpit reflective effect has any effect on me. Obviously ED has carefully simulated this effect. The reflective effect does have an impact on the  sight, but it is the same in reality. If it is for gameplay Asking to remove this effect is contrary to the original intention of the simulation game.

It varies heavily from aircraft to aircraft and depends on the external lighting conditions. Some modules have little to no problem, some are awful.

"Obviously ED has carefully simulated this effect." No, they have not "simulated" it, but faked it by baking the reflections into the transparent textures of the canopy. That's not a problem, and I get why they would do that in this way - but they overdone it in some cases.

EDIT: There are work arounds. At least for some modules there are user made replacement textures to reduce or get rid of the baked in reflections (and scratches and dirt), which is fine. The suggestion would be to offer an alternative set of canopy textures and an option in the special tab to change it. They done similar for different options (english cockpit e.g.), so it is not a question if possible, but if they are willing. All we do, is asking.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 hours ago, Hiob said:

but faked it by baking the reflections into the transparent textures of the canopy. That's not a problem, and I get why they would do that in this way - but they overdone it in some cases.

That's a problem in VR. Totally unrealistic and annoying. Reflections should be in 3d or not. Just have a look in your car windshield and try to imagine having a half transparent sticker put on it that display a flat picture of your car dashboard...

In real life, you can cope with reflexion because they have depth so you can filtre them with eye focus.

Edited by lefuneste01