World or Beta

TheRigere

I’m new to DCS and developing an addiction but that’s another issue. I’m curious as to why someone would choose dcs world 2.5 over open beta 2.7 and vice versa. Pros and cons. Also can you run both instances on the same cpu? Also, typically how long before beta updates/version changes roll out to world?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was about to ask that very same question.  I used to run both Stable & Beta when I first started DCS when it was 2.2. Then when it went to 2.5 someone wrote that Stable and Beta were combining or something so I went to 2.5 stable and uninstalled beta. ..... But now I think I might have been the only one who did that...lol!

So, I've been thinking about going back to Stable.

In fact, I think I am going back as I type this.  Because I typed some cmd I found "on the internet" into the powershell just now, that supposedly, lets you switch to Beta without uninstalling and installing. I'll find out soon enough. 

I've been playing for 2+ years. Due to space issues on my SSD I had to choose Stable or Beta - I went for Stable. My argument is that when I get to play, (a brief 30 mins or the luxury of a couple of hours!) I am guaranteed it will all work as I expect. This week's current Beta launch of 2.7 is probably the best illustration of the differences. As much as I am really excited by 2.7, I can wait a couple of weeks for the inevitable bugs to get ironed out. Just look at the 2.7 topics running on this forum today to get a flavour of some of the issues. Again, some people are clearly having no issues with 2.7, but again IMHO, I just want something I can log onto in the evening and either shoot a couple of approaches, AAR or a longer multiplayer game without the frustrations of the game crashing randomly. 

Finally, to illustrate just how much the choice is truly 50/50, my brother is a die hard Beta only fan! - I'm sure he could put a post on this thread to completely justify the Beta argument! If you have the space for both on your hard drive, then that is clearly best option. This 2 versions of DCS gives you the advantage of allowing your PC the chance to "try" updates like 2.7 and if your system can't handle the FPS drop that is being reported, then you still have the stable version as a backup.....

Looking at the Multiplayer server pages seems to suggest an almost 50/50 mix of stable/Beta to choose from - so at end of day, really doesn't matter.

25 minutes ago, F1GHTS-ON said:

I've been playing for 2+ years. Due to space issues on my SSD I had to choose Stable or Beta - I went for Stable. My argument is that when I get to play, (a brief 30 mins or the luxury of a couple of hours!) I am guaranteed it will all work as I expect. This week's current Beta launch of 2.7 is probably the best illustration of the differences. As much as I am really excited by 2.7, I can wait a couple of weeks for the inevitable bugs to get ironed out. Just look at the 2.7 topics running on this forum today to get a flavour of some of the issues. Again, some people are clearly having no issues with 2.7, but again IMHO, I just want something I can log onto in the evening and either shoot a couple of approaches, AAR or a longer multiplayer game without the frustrations of the game crashing randomly. 

Finally, to illustrate just how much the choice is truly 50/50, my brother is a die hard Beta only fan! - I'm sure he could put a post on this thread to completely justify the Beta argument! If you have the space for both on your hard drive, then that is clearly best option. This 2 versions of DCS gives you the advantage of allowing your PC the chance to "try" updates like 2.7 and if your system can't handle the FPS drop that is being reported, then you still have the stable version as a backup.....

Looking at the Multiplayer server pages seems to suggest an almost 50/50 mix of stable/Beta to choose from - so at end of day, really doesn't matter.

Is it usually only a "couple of weeks" for updates to roll out for Stable? I'm fine with that too

20 hours ago, TheRigere said:

Is it usually only a "couple of weeks" for updates to roll out for Stable? I'm fine with that too

EDT: I take all that crap back I just wrote. I gave 2.7 one more chance before I went back the Stable and it is working very nicely now.

Is it really only 2 weeks?............  Well, I finished the downgrade to Beta 2.7 and now DCS is UNPLAYABLE for me. I lose about half of my FPS. Multi-layer was absolutely unplayable with hits to FPS all the way down to about 4!  So I'm going upgrade back to the Stable 2.5  ...The clouds looked nice, but not THAT nice. If the drop in performance stay that bad on the stable version after it updates to 2.7. I will have to uninstall and likely ask ED for my money back. I didn't sign on for this....and the recommended specs for running DCS didn't say this would happen. My machine fits within the specs I signed up for.

Edited by Cpt Cuckoo

Here's official answer:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/#3303157

If you have fast Internet you can switch between versions in command line o using Skatezilla's Updater Utility.

Beta has more frequent updates and is always first to introduce new modules and content. Depending on the state of the beta, when devs are fine with stability, the stable gets updated - it can be a few weeks, but can be a few months as well.

Stable is free of game breaking issues like crashes or unusable modules but not free of any bugs. It is advised to use this version for trouble free experience and continuation of started campaigns unless the updates for them are already in the beta.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 minutes ago, draconus said:

Here's official answer:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/#3303157

If you have fast Internet you can switch between versions in command line o using Skatezilla's Updater Utility.

Beta has more frequent updates and is always first to introduce new modules and content. Depending on the state of the beta, when devs are fine with stability, the stable gets updated - it can be a few weeks, but can be a few months as well.

Stable is free of game breaking issues like crashes or unusable modules but not free of any bugs. It advised to use this version for trouble free experience and continuation of started campaigns unless the updates for them are already in the beta.

Yeah, thanks I' think I'll do that right now, in fact.