Refueling Helper

Tank50us

So, something I think we can all agree is that refueling is... for a lack of a better way to say it... not that easy to accomplish. One idea I think would help is to take a bit from the SCM, and have an optional helper that pops up on screen to help pilots get into the right position for refueling, regardless of what aircraft they're in.

This way I see this, is that you'd have a 'throttle bar' that appears that shows the ideal throttle setting to allow you to catch the tanker, and a diamond that shows where you should be in relation to the tanker for pre-contact, and then, contact. I know not everyone will like this idea, as refueling is a skill that must be learned and mastered. But how many of you would've loved it if, when you had just installed the game, you had the option to have a visual helper to guide you in and link up with the tanker.

That being said, I do want to know what you guys think. We have such a thing for the carrier landings, so I think we should have one for for refueling as well (and maybe for normal landings as well when the weather is "less than idea" shall we say?)

55 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

This way I see this, is that you'd have a 'throttle bar' that appears that shows the ideal throttle setting to allow you to catch the tanker

This looks like negative training to me - it isn't what you're supposed to be doing; in general during formation flying and AAR the throttle is always moving back and forth, maybe even in a wide range - there is no magic position and you should be briefly adding/removing power before taking it away/adding it back. 

and a diamond that shows where you should be in relation to the tanker for pre-contact, and then, contact

Sure, if we could say get a training gate like box to give you the appropriate positions for observation and pre-contact, that I think would be cool.

Personally though, I think the better option would be to have an interactive training mission with an instructor providing you feedback on your positioning and control.

That being said, I do want to know what you guys think. We have such a thing for the carrier landings, so I think we should have one for for refueling as well (and maybe for normal landings as well when the weather is "less than idea" shall we say?)

Do we? Only one I can think of is the IFLOLS pop-up, which was mostly done for people who have trouble seeing the IFLOLS, past that there isn't a helper beyond RL systems (such as ICLS).

As for landings, we already have the helper gates available, though it might be useful if there were presets for landings.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Here we go again...

Popcorn - check

Comfy seat - check

Beverage - check

Ok, I'm ready

Just in case you wonder what I'm talking about:

(Or any of the other AAR threads that didnt end up well)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

This looks like negative training to me - it isn't what you're supposed to be doing; in general during formation flying and AAR the throttle is always moving back and forth, maybe even in a wide range - there is no magic position and you should be briefly adding/removing power before taking it away/adding it back. 

Sure, if we could say get a training gate like box to give you the appropriate positions for observation and pre-contact, that I think would be cool.

Personally though, I think the better option would be to have an interactive training mission with an instructor providing you feedback on your positioning and control.

Do we? Only one I can think of is the IFLOLS pop-up, which was mostly done for people who have trouble seeing the IFLOLS, past that there isn't a helper beyond RL systems (such as ICLS).

As for landings, we already have the helper gates available, though it might be useful if there were presets for landings.

Ultimately the idea of these visual aids is just to help a pilot get hooked up and start taking fuel. Technically, they don't have to use it, they can either ignore it, or turn it off in the options. The point is simple: make refueling just that little bit easier for those who aren't experienced with it.

But then again, while I'm one for options, I also like giving visual aids to assist those people who don't have dozens of hours per week to dedicate to DCS get up to speed just that little bit faster with certain aspects.

2 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Here we go again...

Popcorn - check

Comfy seat - check

Beverage - check

Ok, I'm ready

Just in case you wonder what I'm talking about:

(Or any of the other AAR threads that didnt end up well)

Good thing I'm not asking for an AAR Autopilot. Just a visual aid to assist those people who want it.

• Like 1

I support this idea as it would just be a visual aid for training and not an easy or cheat mode like most of the other threads have been asking for. As "refueling is a skill that must be learned and mastered" at least a visual aid like this would help people to fish for the drogue for them selves.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

Good thing I'm not asking for an AAR Autopilot. Just a visual aid to assist those people who want it.

Fair enough. Good luck on your quest 😉

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I think a carrier style walk on is a good idea in principle, but dunno how feasible coding it actually wouldbe. Unlike the arrestor wire, it's not a finite point that you only need to reach for a instant at the right instant. AAR, like formation flying, requires constant adjustment over a prolonged period of time. If a person can't manage that in the first place, it's unlikely they're going to be able to stick it in and hold it... if they could, they wouldn't need the aide in the first place.

• Like 3

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2