MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

5 hours ago, JIMJAM said:

FB bricked my Oculus. You must now have a FB account and log in to use VR. No big deal but FB has locked my account for TOS breakage. It seems I am too young "57" and for my "safety" and other vague community reasons FB wants a original copy of either a DL, a B certificate, passport, bank financial records or a SSN. A incredible request from a company that openly sells your personal information and no telling who has access. The terms even say any pictures or date post is THEIRS and they own it.

I hope nobody gave them such personal data just to use VR.

Oh 😧. Is a factory reset possible? 

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

Ok so I have tried reinstalling DCS, no improvement...

So far I have tried deleting the DCS folder in saved games, downgrading my Nvidia driver to 461.72, repairing DCS (I'm on Steam so verifying game files), and reinstalling...

Still getting the 30% fps loss compare to 2.5.6, especially flying low near crowded areas like cities and busy airport. Clouds are fine and do not seem to affect FPS. 

My Spec:

GTX 1080

i7 7700k

32 GB Ram

DCS on SSD

Graphic settings:

All effects high, MSAA 2x, SSAA, SSAO, SSLR all off, Clouds standard, Terrain shadow flat, Vsync off, Fullscreen at 1080p

Edited by SCPanda

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

seems about right with the feedback we have been getting also. 

I appreciate those of you having performance issues, we know you are not making it up, PC's can be a mystery sometimes, I have said before I have seen the same machines perform differently for no apparent reason and it can be frustrating. 

We will continue to optimise and look at individual cases, try to help where we can. 

thanks

As discussed with you performance is something really non linear especially for VR users.  

On screen especially when using vsync you might not notice a performance drop because you have enough performance overhead to stay locked at 60fps typically which is not that hard to get on screen.

VR is much more demanding and as soon as ASW or motion smoothing doesn't get the required threshold to correctly interpolate the experience is totally ruined if you're sensitive to stutter. Of course people who had decent margin with the ASW might not notice anything despite a drop in performance. People who fine tuned the sim to get the most out of their hardware will in contrary suffer from the slightest drop in perfo.

Judging perf with vsync, ASW or motion smoothing ON is wrong.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:56 AM, JIMJAM said:

FB bricked my Oculus. You must now have a FB account and log in to use VR. No big deal but FB has locked my account for TOS breakage. It seems I am too young "57" and for my "safety" and other vague community reasons FB wants a original copy of either a DL, a B certificate, passport, bank financial records or a SSN. A incredible request from a company that openly sells your personal information and no telling who has access. The terms even say any pictures or date post is THEIRS and they own it.

I hope nobody gave them such personal data just to use VR.

Do not give them your data . I own Quest2 , write a ticket too their support .  

Tell them your do no such thing and want a refund or to unlock your account . Go buy G2 .

On 4/20/2021 at 7:56 AM, SCPanda said:

Ok so I have tried reinstalling DCS, no improvement...

So far I have tried deleting the DCS folder in saved games, downgrading my Nvidia driver to 461.72, repairing DCS (I'm on Steam so verifying game files), and reinstalling...

Still getting the 30% fps loss compare to 2.5.6, especially flying low near crowded areas like cities and busy airport. Clouds are fine and do not seem to affect FPS. 

My Spec:

GTX 1080

i7 7700k

32 GB Ram

DCS on SSD

Graphic settings:

All effects high, MSAA 2x, SSAA, SSAO, SSLR all off, Clouds standard, Terrain shadow flat, Vsync off, Fullscreen at 1080p

Its 2.7 not your machine . Go into stable with same setting and your fly no problem 2.7 has come with bugs . 

Multiplayer is a mess I tested all day yesterday server crashes and I need over 16GB or i get stutters and dysic  .

MY VR is down too 6fps Even people with 3080s are getting bad fps in 2.7 . But I'm sure fixes will come , we had this with 2.5 on first release .

Edited by KoN
  • Like 2

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

What BIGNEWY posted frustrates me even more... somehow makes me feel that 2.5.6 performance won't come back in 2.7... VR has died for many players now, I think...

Edited by JumpinK

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:34 AM, JumpinK said:

This only helps if something was f***ed up before the update. What about me? Did a fresh install for 2.7 because somehow I already knew that everything will be fine in terms of visuals but not performance wise. And damn was I right again. ED doesn't know how to improve visuals without destroying performance. Sorry, ED, but this is somewhat unacceptable for us who spent thousands of dollars/euros on our systems to play your combat simulator. This is the most frustrating part of DCS. As a VR-player you get kind of ignored by the devs.

No, it does not. Some of us have run the same installation for many years. In that case, although performance never suffered, the were many leftover files from before. When I recommend reinstalling, it´s because it might fix your performance if you are running an old installation, like me. From update to update, there will be folders left that aren´t used. If you don´t get better performance, then at least you cleaned your installation, made some more space on your HDD/SSD, and can check it off.

We all have to wait for further patches that will resolve many of the issues that will NATURALLY be introduced with such big updates. You should ask yourself what are doing on Open Beta when stability is all you want. Downgrade your installation to final and wait there. Otherwise, respect that this is a beta and issues will come up, especially with such big updates and new introductions!

On 4/19/2021 at 4:12 AM, SCPanda said:

Yeah I have tried everything like deleting saved games folder, rolling back my graphic driver to 461.72. Nothing worked.

I am going to try reinstalling DCS now. Also deleted saved games folder again before uninstalling the game. 

I cannot guarantee that it will work, it might, if you have an old installation like I did (before 1.5). It´s worth a try though. If this doesn´t fix it, keep looking, otherwise I`m sure that there will be many performance improvements to come.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, running a cleanup after repair should remove any extra content from the game directory (messy Saved Games location is another matter), with result being the same as after reinstall - at least in theory. Reinstall is a desperate last resort weapon, but I understand it might be the ony thing left to try for some of the guys.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

16 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

this may help some

I went step by step through this.

Specifically I think out of all the recommendations, the "Sharpening" setting under NVIDA control panel being turned off is the biggest one, and set Global for all applications.

I have had pretty good performance with 2.7, especially with Syria. I also did a delete of saved games, and restored my config settings, along with this vid - I got a solid 10 FPS INCREASE over 2.5. 45 Solid FPS with Track IR, low level flight over Syria, with the A-10C and left MFD showing MAV seeker, and right MFD showing TGP sensor display. This has always been a frame killer for me.

After following this vid, changing the Global and Application specific NVIDIA settings (for DCS in NVCP), and the only difference for myself and the author in the video in settings is I don't run SSXX anything, everything else as he lists. This is with a ASUS Tuf OC 1660, 32 GB RAM, ASUS 470 MB, Ryzen 7 CPU OC'd to 4.2 Ghz, and MvE 1TB SSD. 45 FPS solid, Track IR, his settings, and both MFD's in the A-10 actively displaying video.

By comparison, the F-16 with its "simple" MFD displays, I am hitting 60 and 90 FPS with the authors settings above.

I would go through this if you haven't, perform the Command Line DCS.exe clean up and repair (or optionally rename saved games folder and let DCS recreate).

I have a moderate system, and I have gained in FPS, and smoothness, with ULTRA clouds, mostly high/Ultra/Max settings, on Syria, and A-10C with two active camera displays on the MFDs - this was always a FPS gut punch in 2.5

Edited by SmirkingGerbil

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

58 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Can people having massive FPS drops check if KB5001330 was installed on their PC? If so, try uninstalling it and report here.

Khmm, what is considered massive? I surely have 20 fps less both min and max than before... I guess it goes into that 30% less performance territory then again I run clouds on ultra so... could be that... But my performance wasn't bad to start with in 2.5.6 so I don't really notice it most of the time except when benchmarking.

I uninstalled the update but fps is completely same with and without it for me.

I've noticed that in F-16 or F-18 when I use TGP on one of my screens my FPS drops by 20+, when I use the other display for Maverick it goes down by another 20+ so it sums up to around 50 FPS drop when using both displays for camera, this didn't happen to me in 2.5.

Same stuff was happening with hornet few months ago when SA page was displayed.

Edited by Furiz

17 minutes ago, Furiz said:

I've noticed that in F-16 or F-18 when I use TGP on one of my screens my FPS drops by 20+, when I use the other display for Maverick it goes down by another 20+ so it sums up to around 50 FPS drop when using both displays for camera, this didn't happen to me in 2.5.

Same stuff was happening with hornet few months ago when SA page was displayed.

Man that is perplexing as hell. Not saying you aren't suffering with this, but my experiences (as detailed above) are the opposite with 2.7 - there must be some common Hardware or Software issue, one would think, if only it could be identified.

• Like 1

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

@Flappie I have the update, but after going through the process I detailed above, I am NOT having FPS drops. Either status quo from 2.5, to improvement in 2.7image.png

19 hours ago, Cab said:

Then maybe you should complain to the server hosts like Growling Sidewinder for upgrading.

I asked there already... but thats not the point. 

And hello i can complain where i want, or ist it a crime or against rules here? Problem would be still Performance on Singleplayer.

But i guess now you say then play Singleplayer Stable?.. You serious dont understand the point. What is when this Beta status become Stable? Should i dont upgrade this game anymore or what? You must be joking. What with newer weapon systems for payed Modules (all not possible anymore to get)?

Pls think to the end, thx.

"Can people having massive FPS drops check if KB5001330 was installed on their PC? If so, try uninstalling it and report here."

I did, as i posted (even new Win install) - No change for me.

I have read all the posts, what a total confusion!
Who says one thing, who says another ... we are struggling to find a compromise to run this blessed simulator in the best possible way ... it is more time spent setting the settings than spent in flight! I believe at this point that after pages of complaints, administrators should take into consideration what is written and inform the development team. They have to find a solution, not us ... with my GTX1080 I play games even more recent than DCS, why do we always have the same problems here?

• Like 4

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

On 4/15/2021 at 7:27 PM, Cab said:

It looks to me like my FPS/frametime hits are occurring when looking at other aircraft in both VR and 2D. This happened everywhere I went in the Caucasus map, both single and multiplayer. I haven’t spent any time in the other maps since the upgrade.

What I found interesting in the video I included below was when my frametimes spike, GPU utilization drops. And the GPU and CPU are never close to being 100%

System Specs: 5600X, X570, 64GB RAM, 6700XT, Reverb G2

Removed all mods

Windows 10 verified up-to-date

Display drivers verified up-to-date

AMD software settings are default

Screenshots for DCS System and VR system, DCS log, and Track all attached below

I also included a video of the monitor I made with my phone demonstrating what I saw on fpsVR  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F89VyvKX_M7kc8gdZkRc6p6PQy4bw7Xk/view?usp=sharing

system settings.png

VR settings.png

2.7 performance drops 1023.85 kB · 2 downloads dcs.log 402.95 kB · 4 downloads

Update: Installed the latest Radeon driver today and the problem I reported is gone. Driver Version 21.4.1

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JAKAL said:

I have read all the posts, what a total confusion!
Who says one thing, who says another ... we are struggling to find a compromise to run this blessed simulator in the best possible way ... it is more time spent setting the settings than spent in flight! I believe at this point that after pages of complaints, administrators should take into consideration what is written and inform the development team. They have to find a solution, not us ... with my GTX1080 I play games even more recent than DCS, why do we always have the same problems here?

I agree. I also don't believe there are so many people reporting performance gain... Maybe they don't have FPS counter on and they just felt the game became smoother? Cuz all my friends I fly with are having performance loss in 2.7, and we have different systems, like GTX 2080s, 2060m, 1080 etc. With ED saying that there are around 70% of players reporting performance gain from 2.5.6, I really feel like I live in a different universe....

Edited by SCPanda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Flappie said:

Can people having massive FPS drops check if KB5001330 was installed on their PC? If so, try uninstalling it and report here.

I uninstalled KB5001330, did a new clean DCS install, switched off windows hags and/or fso. Nothing had effect on 2.7 performance. Still 30-40% fps loss compared to stable with the same settings (even with clouds on low and details at 0.1).

10 hours ago, Flappie said:

OK, this seems like a dead end. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

You mean DCS by itself?! I'm sorry to say this, but if eye candy an cool new modules have priority over performance and the latter one keeps being ignored then this beautiful simulator will truly run into a dead end sooner or later.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

8 hours ago, Flappie said:

OK, this seems like a dead end. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Seriously??  C'mon Flappie, are you and the team just going to throw up your hands and leave us in the dust?

There is another thread saying that their experience is great. 

Seven replies on one page. This thread is nine pages long! and yet you and BN say that most people report an increase in FPS. 

One page vs nine pages doesn't sound like most to me.

Most of the people having problems have much better machines than I do, so that's why I have so far not posted about my issues.

I have been following this thread hoping that someone would come up with something that I could use.

One common theme that everyone seems to agree on is that the loss is about 30%. For those of us who normally run 60 to 90 frames,

a 30% loss is absolutely unplayable. As soon as things start heating up, firing guns, rockets, missiles, or being near any explosions,

we expect frames to drop momentarily, but 2 to 5 frames is a slideshow. On one mission I have has a big formation of B-17's dropping on

a target area. If I am in the vicinity with 2.5.6, my frames would drop to about 10 to 15 for a few seconds. Yesterday, I was over 10 miles

away from the target area and my frames dropped to 1 and stayed there for almost 4 minutes. It wasn't a slide show, it was a photograph.

There has to be a magic ingredient that those people on the other thread have that the rest of us don't, or there is something wrong at your end.

I know that you are just a volunteer and not an employee of ED and I thank you for that. You have helped me and many others in the past.

I don't follow DCS on FB or Reddit so I can't comment on that, but it seems that a large number of people are having a major problem.

@BIGNEWY said:   

Preliminary stats from facebook poll about 2.7:

For 85% it runs the same or better than 2.5.6, for 15% worse

seems about right with the feedback we have been getting also. 

I appreciate those of you having performance issues, we know you are not making it up, PC's can be a mystery sometimes, I have said before I have seen the same machines perform differently for no apparent reason and it can be frustrating. 

We will continue to optimise and look at individual cases, try to help where we can. 

thanks

I have spent hundreds of dollars on this sim and for most others it's been thousands.  Now all of a sudden 15% of us can't play. 15% is a lot of people and a lot of money.

I like many others have been spending more time making adjustments than actually playing. Nothing seems to work. Something has got to be wrong at your end.

Please, I beg you. Don't give up trying to help us. This is not a "Dead End." Telling us to just play 2.5.6 stable and miss out on all the good stuff coming is just wrong.

Thanks, Ray

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU