MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, =4c=Nikola said:

Track replay will prove you nothing

it will allow me to test the same circumstance and plot a fps graph for the team to look at all of the render information  

noticed you have many shader errors in your log also for your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Just now, BIGNEWY said:

it will allow me to test the same circumstance and plot a fps graph for the team to look at all of the render information  

Well, I'll provide you one, but I still do not see how it's useful. It will use your hardware to run the track, and you will get performance you usually get when you fly.

f-15c 27.trk

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Even in Mission editor,when i open the load page,DCS client will stuck for seconds,some of my friend only have gtx1060,he is always crash when open load page in ME

通过我的 V1955A 上的 Tapatalk发言

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

I've noticed enormous improvement after update. No stuttering on Syria. Steady, better frames, smooth like butter. It feels and looks like completely new game. Just stop hurting yourselves with this useless VR beta-hardware.

• Like 1

So I did the following procedure in the attempt of fixing the crashing issue on launching the second mission and also to see if I could get some performance back:

- updated windows

- reapplied NVIDIA control panel settings for DCS

- renamed DCS saved games folder

- deleted the Drive:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\*Terrain name*\misc\metacache\dcs folder (repetead this for all the terrains I own)

- deleted the Drive:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta folder

- performed a DCS repair - check all files (slow)

- launched the game and re-applied all settigns as I had before with 2.5.6

- copied the Saved Games\config\input folder for my custom bindings

- copied the logbook.lua file from the backup folder

- copied the autoexec.cfg custom file from the backup folder

On the same Syria F18C free flight mission I saw a minor improvement of about <10fps compared to what I was getting when I first installed 2.7

Not at the same level or better than 2.5.6 (at least for my build) but is a step forward.

For info I am getting an average of 75fps with dips around 58 and spikes to the 90s.

The fps drops happens when I look sideways over the aicraft wings 

I should add that the above procedure seems to have fixed the game crash when launching a second flight link *edit* it didn't 

Forgot to mention:

I am testing all of the above in 2D mode with my 34' screen (3440x1440) @ max settings except SSLR and SSAO. Haven't touched VR yet

Have to say that despite the loss of fps it does indeed run very smoothly and it looks stunning, especially on Syria at maxed-out settings 

Edited by Snakedoc
  • Like 5

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

So after doing a bit more standardized testing, 

TF51 FF-tiblisi.

CPU frames, same as 2.5ish from what I recall ~10ms

GPU frames are now up by 50%, from ~10-12ms to the mid teens ~14-16ms. So, something is "eating" 4ms of frames.

I can change clouds from medium-ultra and it has no really noticeable effect. 

Specs that matter 9700k/3090/80gig ram

I did turn off the cockpit lighting and did see a small drop in 1-2ms of frame times. So I'm thinking it may be related to the new lighting model. 

And also very interestingly, the Harrier Free flight mission I had the best GPU frame times, ~10-12 like before. 

Here is the logfile, there does look to some weird errors with clouds loading. 

dcs.log

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team
1 hour ago, =4c=Nikola said:

Well, I'll provide you one, but I still do not see how it's useful. It will use your hardware to run the track, and you will get performance you usually get when you fly.

f-15c 27.trk 281.04 kB · 0 downloads

I will show you my results, but I will also ask team members with low end systems to test also. I am not sure we have a 970 anymore however. 

Mine shows Max dcs settings and low dcs settings,

the point here is settings in dcs make all the difference, even for a high end machine like mine. 

max and low dcs settings.PNG

Can you share a screenshot of your dcs settings page, we maybe able to suggest some tweaks for you and the GTX970

Thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Mission: F15-C - Clean Sweep

DCS Settings: https://ibb.co/6Z0Rj4d

DCS 2.5 (before update): https://ibb.co/hmcZFyR

DCS 2.7 (after update): https://ibb.co/sHDjzq3

With Logfile you mean the files from saved games?

dcs.log.old dcs.log.old

Deleted Saved games folder + Full Repair done.

Cleanup was not Pissible, but i didnt used Mods or something.

6700k + GTX 1060 + 32gb DDR4@3000mhz

Edited by -Relax-

17 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will show you my results, but I will also ask team members with low end systems to test also. I am not sure we have a 970 anymore however. 

Mine shows Max dcs settings and low dcs settings,

the point here is settings in dcs make all the difference, even for a high end machine like mine. 

Can you share a screenshot of your dcs settings page, we maybe able to suggest some tweaks for you and the GTX970

Thanks

Tnx for effort. I believe you have all my settings in log file, but I guess image is more readable. It's already pretty low, I do not think it can go lower without sacrificing gameplay.

Screen_210415_160204.png

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

• ED Team
18 minutes ago, =4c=Nikola said:

Tnx for effort. I believe you have all my settings in log file, but I guess image is more readable. It's already pretty low, I do not think it can go lower without sacrificing gameplay.

Screen_210415_160204.png

MSAA is a frame killer especially on a GTX 970

Shadows are also FPS intensive, you have them low at the moment and I know some people dont like not having shadows. 

I dont know what else to suggest, I know it is difficult on lower end hardware. 

25 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Shadows are also FPS intensive, you have them low at the moment and I know some people dont like not having shadows. 

All cockpits are designed to be used with shadows ON. Without shadows, panel labels are unreadable, panels are too bright... it's unplayable that way.

Even with MSAA OFF and shadows OFF, I still have 15% fps lost compared to pre 2.7 (2.5.6 with MSAA ON and shadows ON)

And all of that still doesn't explain why there is 30% fps loss after the update, especially when it was advertised as "no significant performance hit".

Edited by =4c=Nikola
  • Like 1

Do not expect fairness.

19 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Lol it's difficult on high end hardware too. 30% is 30% regardless of your initial fps. And indeed that 's a huge performance hit.

• Like 1

Compared to 2.5, in VR, I personally have no noticeable change in performance in missions without clouds, but as soon as I put some volumetric clouds I have a 10-15% fps drop (with very little performance difference between medium and ultra clouds)

Edited by Mad_Shell

• ED Team

5 minutes ago, Charly314159 said:

Lol it's difficult on high end hardware too. 30% is 30% regardless of your initial fps. And indeed that 's a huge performance hit.

I know you have a history of having frame rate problems, it is difficult to understand why some machines perform well and some perform worse with the same spec, even high end machines, I dont have an answer for you. Just have to keep tweaking and trying to find what suits you best.

11 minutes ago, Charly314159 said:

Exactly. Thats why it should be now on ED´s  hand to bring performance back and not on our´s with try lower settings now.

Even if  its not noticable for all.. what i see enough ppl complained already about performance problem since 2.7.

And as some guys told already it seems its not only comming from cloud. So there must be something wrong and actualy i dont care  if its the clouds, lightning or whatever, -30% lower performance ist just too much after update! no discussion.

Edited by -Relax-

10 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I know you have a history of having frame rate problems, it is difficult to understand why some machines perform well and some perform worse with the same spec, even high end machines, I dont have an answer for you. Just have to keep tweaking and trying to find what suits you best.

That's unfortunately not a computer issue ad I have changed, reinstalled it and made all possible optimization several times.

I have confirmed that I am quite far from having any CPU, ram or GPU bottleneck. 

As express multiple times this is a core issue that makes the sim unable to leverage even the most capable hardware.

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, Charly314159 said:

That's unfortunately not a computer issue ad I have changed, reinstalled it and made all possible optimization several times.

I have confirmed that I am quite far from having any CPU, ram or GPU bottleneck. 

As express multiple times this is a core issue that makes the sim unable to leverage even the most capable hardware.

If it is a core issue why do many people have no issue at all? this is the point I am making, since the 2.7 patch we have had overwhelming feedback about good performance. 

We will always look at performance issues and try to help those that are seeing issues, but sometimes it remains a mystery. 

thanks

• Like 1

Have you tested the game at minimum system specifications?

I mean, my PC is struggling to run the game at almost lowest graphic settings; can it even work at GTX760 and Core i3?

GTX970 is easily 100% more powerful than GTX760. Not to mention i3 @ 2.8GHz vs i5 @ 4.5Ghz

Do not expect fairness.

16 minutes ago, Charly314159 said:

Yeah, I have seen this too. With a 3090 and 9700k@5. I mean I got decent frame rates in 2.5, but GPU utilization was like 40-50%, now it appears to be much higher ~95%, and I have frame rate issues... So clearly something is different, and it isn't the clouds. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

13 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

If it is a core issue why do many people have no issue at all? this is the point I am making, since the 2.7 patch we have had overwhelming feedback about good performance. 

We will always look at performance issues and try to help those that are seeing issues, but sometimes it remains a mystery. 

thanks

+1 BN 

Performance is increased in 2.7 no doubt. I would expect people with poor PC maintenance skills with excess processes/services are seeing new impacts due to a rework of DCS core. PC's are not consoles. They need constant work to keep them at their best. I bet 2.7 would run great for you on a clean windows install....

19 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

+1 BN 

Performance is increased in 2.7 no doubt. I would expect people with poor PC maintenance skills with excess processes/services are seeing new impacts due to a rework of DCS core. PC's are not consoles. They need constant work to keep them at their best. I bet 2.7 would run great for you on a clean windows install....

Such a ridiculous comment...

All the data I saw prove the opposite. You're comparing numbers to impressions. Maybe be a bit less biased when you want to teach life to people. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charly314159 said:

Such a ridiculous comment...

All the data I saw prove the opposite. You're comparing numbers to impressions. Maybe be a bit less biased when you want to teach life to people. 

LOL!! Far from teaching life...

Your statements are just wrong. "core issue that makes the sim unable to leverage even the most capable hardware" This is just not true! 

Heads up guys. Not sure if its your issue but I was on the "latest"  drivers

466.11 bad (50% higher gpu frame time) 15ms gpu frame times

461.72 (old feb driver) works fine, back to high fps... 9-10ms frame times...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Harlikwin said:

Heads up guys. Not sure if its your issue but I was on the "latest"  drivers

466.11 bad (50% higher gpu frame time) 15ms gpu frame times

461.72 (old feb driver) works fine, back to high fps... 9-10ms frame times...

Interesting. I've installed 466.11 today and lost only 2 frames compared to an old one (cannot remember version number, but it was not 461.72). I will try 461.72. Not too optimistic though, they usually tweak them for newest hardware. For old hardware it might be the best to keep old drivers.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.