Canopy reflection is a little overdone

FoxTwo

Currently not possible to adjust by 3rd-parties, as it's a real-time render effect by ED.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

It looks fine on other modules, I think it is just a side effect of the shape of the Mig21's canopy which results in much stronger fresnel/reflections simply down to the curvature of the glass. Let's hope ED allows 3rd-parties to adjust this and/or tone it down somewhat.

Edited by Althar93

I've just fired up 2.7 for the first time, and the canopy reflections now seem way too strong - it's really limiting my visibility. Could it be the reflections of the new clouds are causing an issue?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

You guys complaining of the reflections probably don't want bugs on the windscreen either...lol  Go get a ride in an airplane with a canopy. DCS did a great job on the in-cockpit reflections.  Airplanes with thick glass have reflections in real life. There are numerous Su-25 cockpit videos you can watch to confirm that DCS is spot on.

Also watch the Combat Approved episode where the guy went for an attack helicopter ride. The first thing that happened was a bug splatters on windscreen as he was filming. lol

• Like 4

I find the new dynamic reflections in canopy just gorgeous, but I guess it's a taste matter.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I like them but it certainly WIP. Under certain light conditions (when its dark, under the clouds) they are the same as if I was flying in clear day. And I think front armored glass should be less affected by those. But as Rudel said, we cant control any of that just yet.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

On 4/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, Althar93 said:

I agree that in some situations the inner reflections of the cockpit can be extremely strong, to the point where you can't actually see outside.

This is how it is in real life when conditions are met.

Take a look at this footage...look how EXTREME reflections are when the sun is in the correct spot:

Take a look at my MODS here

The only issue with DCS is though that you don't have depth perception and 3D view allowing your eyes to focus on something outside the glass. I think they are fine currently and they do vary from aircraft to aircraft depending on canopy geometry and glass. Much better than baked reflections.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

This is how it is in real life when conditions are met.

Take a look at this footage...look how EXTREME reflections are when the sun is in the correct spot:

He can focus outside, we can’t

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

Focusing would mean nothing if the sun reflection  is glaring in your eyes...how would you "focus" on anything behind that?.

Well there will be situations like that and it will always be a compromise. No need to complicate it, it’s just like driving, you focus your view outside and don’t even notice reflections.

It’s particularly bad on lower settings. A workaround is definitely needed.

27 minutes ago, Maxthrust said:

Well there will be situations like that and it will always be a compromise. No need to complicate it, it’s just like driving, you focus your view outside and don’t even notice reflections.

It’s particularly bad on lower settings. A workaround is definitely needed.

Actually I'm saying that reflections are fine and, as you would do in real life, you must deal with them so nothing to change imho.

Take a look at my MODS here

IMHO the glare, dirt and such can be added to glass but maybe they need to be made blurry so they look like looking through. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, this has been an issue with the MiG-21 for years. The problem seems to me how the canopy is affected by some kind of environmental lighting, i.e. the brightness of the terrain around you. The reflections on the canopy change massively depending on the type of terrain below you.

Look at the screenshot below. I had trouble to see the runway directly ahead of me though the gunsight. The same effect often also be seen on the canopy, depending on attitude and brightness of terrain.

Screen_210502_111737.png

No other module I own have the amount of glare the mig-21 has.

I think its a bit overdone, at least as the other modules don´t have the same level of glare so it makes up for a unfair disadvantadge in pvp.

At the end of the day we are squinting our eyes in front of a monitor, trying to deal with a bunch of other visibility limitations in the sim.
Very important to strike a balance here as we are already hampered in our ability to see things on the screen (compared to a fighter pilot with 20/20 vision).

Reflections looks really cool, but it is a bit much. I guess we have to wait and see how ED develops the tech...