VR quality settings

Looks like there's a hotfix today, but nothing about clouds in the notes.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

7 minutes ago, pimp said:

Looks like there's a hotfix today, but nothing about clouds in the notes.

Yup nothing about clouds. At this moment can´t fully enjoy DCS in VR because of the jumping clouds... My performance it´s better and fully awesome but impossible to fly with the clouds problem. Hope ED can fix that, i know it´s marked as high priority. Let´s wait.

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

33 minutes ago, Jafergon said:

Just tested in a short work break and clouds are the same. I'm confident ED will be able to fix this and get us VR players back in the game.

Thanks for checking as I didn't have the time.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

Also agree with the above - I won't use the adjectives I use while in VR to describe the clouds currently (would get me banned) - suffice to say they are BAD, like - real bad. Like 1980's flight-sim bad. That big white blob, and the poor interaction at the edges with terrain etc, and don't even mention the 'jitters'. Also what is with the 'once-per-second-update' cloud reflection stripes jolting down  the interior of the Viper cockpit - very nasty.

Could we PLEASE have an option to just disable clouds fully in the settings page (not just using the ME) until this is sorted! Simple check-box....

I appreciate that pancake gamers are experiencing wonderful new clouds and I am happy for them - but I would much rather just not have them at all in VR.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 3 Stunden schrieb VampireNZ:

Could we PLEASE have an option to just disable clouds fully in the settings page (not just using the ME) until this is sorted! Simple check-box...

While I agree that the new clouds are something I rather turn off in VR whenever I have the opportunity using the ME, I wouldn't ask for this option. We are playing a BETA version and that comes at the price of an increased number of bugs and unfinished features. Finding and optimizing them is its purpose. Asking the devs to waste time into implementing an UI option to solve a problem that will get fixed anyways is kind of pointless (yes, something seemingly that simple can take several hours). And even if it would require less than 5 minutes, ED would have to face angry people that found out that some other people turned off their clouds in MP to get an advantage over players that didn't do that. Sure, problem is solveable by adding a new option to override it in MP -> more dev time -> other problem -> more dev time -> ... and so on.

So it is probably better for ED to invest their time in fixing the original problem.

If it is too bad for you, there is always the possibility to go back to the stable version.

• Like 1

I hope this will not pollute this thread, but is there any ED announces about rain drop in VR? 

I mean, in 2D it's super realistic with big drops which slide on canopy. In VR it's small dropplets which disapear quickly and doesn't move. I don't know how it is in Reverb, but in CV1 I cannot see the rain drop moving from "the hud" to the back of the canopy like in 2D when moving forward. Even if I stick my head on the HUD.

So is it something cause of low definition VR headset or is it something due to a DCS VR setting which cannot change? 

PS: I tried with several plane, F18-A10C-F14-P51-SU27,etc... Overcast and rain 1 & 2.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elunnia said:

I hope this will not pollute this thread, but is there any ED announces about rain drop in VR? 

I mean, in 2D it's super realistic with big drops which slide on canopy. In VR it's small dropplets which disapear quickly and doesn't move. I don't know how it is in Reverb, but in CV1 I cannot see the rain drop moving from "the hud" to the back of the canopy like in 2D when moving forward. Even if I stick my head on the HUD.

So is it something cause of low definition VR headset or is it something due to a DCS VR setting which cannot change? 

PS: I tried with several plane, F18-A10C-F14-P51-SU27,etc... Overcast and rain 1 & 2.

It's an almost 3 year reported issue. It seems to be a very very very low priority.

• Like 2

Without knowing anything about it, maybe the parallelism between both problems (visual effects that has less quality in VR than in 2D) means that they have the same cause and will be fixed simultaneously. But what I fear now is that this parallelism results on neither of this problems resolved in many years instead. :/

+1 clouds are bad in VR.
probably they need some work/effort/time/money for a good result and probably ED doesn't have yet a good solution for both problems. For clouds they are fuzzy objects and seen in VR they might be flickering badly on edges if quality would be forced on ultra, probably because the edges might not be the same fuzziness everywhere for both eyes.  Same with the rain drops... objects with a lot of refraction and very close to the eyes so a lot of problems if they don't work well due to increased depth effect at that range.

When I see such problems I usually start with the "solution": they can't or don't know yet how to solve it. It's the best fitting explanation for me for the fact. No high hopes etc.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

On 4/26/2021 at 4:58 PM, average_pilot said:

But what I fear now is that this parallelism results on neither of this problems resolved in many years instead. 😕

I hope it's solved sooner than that, after all in the patch notes they stated that it's a priority issue to be fixed 🙂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bigalsunit said:

An update from the developers might clear some of this up. After all, VR pilots were led to believe that we would also be receiving usable clouds with the move to 2.7.

They responded & said they are looking into it. 

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

The fact remains that currently the sky is completely detached from the sim environment when flying in VR. I do not believe that a little update regarding this issue is too much to ask of the developers. 

Edited by bigalsunit
  • Like 1

Just now, joca133 said:

With steamvr and G2 its a strobe fest on the loading screen

No, you're not the only one. As far as I understand, it's due to Windows Mixed Reality. They have a lot to learn from Oculus, as their headsets don't have that problem.

Just do what everyone else does, and close your eyes while the game is loading (if you read the WMR sticky in the VR subforum, you can see lots of people are complaining about that "strobing" effect).

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

18 minutes ago, joca133 said:

Since we are discussing how VR is abandoned... am I the only one almost getting seizures when the game is loading? With steamvr and G2 its a strobe fest on the loading screen.

Yeah my G1 does the same thing, I just rest the head set on the top of my head until the game has loaded up...  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

No, you're not the only one. As far as I understand, it's due to Windows Mixed Reality. They have a lot to learn from Oculus, as their headsets don't have that problem.

No, not looks like a WMR thing, more like a SteamVR one, my Quest 2 suffer the same if i use Steam VR

Edited by 5ephir0th

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

37 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Just do what everyone else does, and close your eyes while the game is loading (if you read the WMR sticky in the VR subforum, you can see lots of people are complaining about that "strobing" effect).

It's dazzling! I am not epileptic...yet. Thanks for confirming this is not something isolated, I haven't had time to go through the forums lately and the whole VR experience seems like well... a beta thing at best. Im getting sub 45fps with 3080 and 3700x.

From the latest newsletter, it's very encouraging:

"DCS World 2.7 Open Beta is now running at full power and feedback is coming in fast from the community. Thank you all for helping us with bug reports and suggestions, it is highly appreciated. We are currently also working to improve clouds, water and wave issues and enhance certain terrain features before moving 2.7 to Stable. "

• Like 1

9 hours ago, average_pilot said:

I think it happens only with non-native SteamVR headsets. If some Vive/Index user could confirm that would be welcome.

I have Vive Pro.  Loading screen will freeze from time to time but no "strobing"

BTW, 2.7 runs really smooth on Vive Pro.  Much better than 2.5 and even better than MSFS 2020.  Cloud does crawl but doesn't bother me that much.  Only thing that bothers me is that it crashes if I change plane often.

i7-4790K and GTX 1080.  Final render resolution is 2880x3200 per eye.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Thanks 1