VR quality settings

1 minute ago, average_pilot said:

The difference being that the jitter is already a known problem and they are already working on it, but there is no mention to the clouds being stuck in low.

Exactly.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I don't think that low-res clouds are intended for VR. Rather, I'd suspect they're part of either the jittering bug, or a misbegotten, last-minute attempt at fixing it. 2.7 was already delayed, and they likely didn't want a VR-only issue to hold up release for everyone, since it also included a number of critical features and fixes for aircraft modules and campaigns. I'm hoping for a VR-focused hotfix next week or the week after that.

• ED Team

the higher your settings the better the clouds will look, this stands to reason. 

Obviously there is a penalty to pay for higher settings in VR. 

We are working on VR tweaks, it is high priority.

If you are using a PD below 1.0 it will be worse I would say the sweet spot is 1.2 or above depending on the headset, but you will have to tweak to find your best preference 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

32 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

the higher your settings the better the clouds will look, this stands to reason. 

If you are using a PD below 1.0 it will be worse I would say the sweet spot is 1.2 or above depending on the headset, but you will have to tweak to find your best preference 

Thanks for the info BN. Are you using 1.2 PD with your G2?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

As of the current version of 2.7, this isn't true. There is no difference in cloud quality, or in performance for that matter, when flying in VR. They always display at lowest quality.

I hope you can nail this bug to the wall and release a hotfix to rectify that, because I really want to experience the clouds in all their glory. 🙂 

• Like 5

vor 43 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

I can see how the PD might affect the "blurriness" of the clouds but not how it can impact the LOD. I'll try it out and report back if I know for sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thats what i see with 2D and VR with the same DCS settings and running in game PD of 1.5. This is a quick test in the F-14, made a short track to have the same flight in 2D and VR. 2D looks finer, more color gradiations, i'm lacking words to explain it.

clouds_2D_vs_VR_1.jpg

clouds_2D_vs_VR_2.jpg

clouds_2D_vs_VR_3.jpg

settings.jpg

• Like 7

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

42 minutes ago, unknown said:

Thats what i see with 2D and VR with the same DCS settings and running in game PD of 1.5. This is a quick test in the F-14, made a short track to have the same flight in 2D and VR. 2D looks finer, more color gradiations, i'm lacking words to explain it.

clouds_2D_vs_VR_1.jpg

clouds_2D_vs_VR_2.jpg

clouds_2D_vs_VR_3.jpg

settings.jpg

The clouds in 2D have more defined edges. The VR version look like the edges are diffused and have no body to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I tried the Clouds on Ultra and it makes no difference at all. They still look out of focus and blocky. I increased SS in steamvr for my G2 to 150% and it still looks the same. I have textures on high and no MSAA. It costs too much in VR for me. There is also a lot of banding when looking down at the ocean at high altitude. Same effect as looking at the sky. I did not see this banding issue on the ocean in previous OB version.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Yes I spotted banding in the sea & stripes in the clouds, the stipes are somewhat geometric & nothing like cloud structure. These are more minor glitches though IMO. 

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

This would make sense, but if you compare 2D to VR, clouds on highest level and all other settings equal, the way the clouds look is night and day different. Is there a known reason for this?

Please refer to pics posted above.

It also appears that the cloud quality setting makes no difference in VR.

I will add that the performance seems excellent in 2.7 in both 2D and VR. I will also add that the clouds look really good in 2D. I just want to see the same effect in my Rift S.

Edited by Canada_Moose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

BigNewy, so are you saying that this is not a bug? I, and many others have not noticed any difference between the different settings for Clouds in VR. Does this mean that the setting only works for 2d? 

If you are unsure, could you maybe check with someone on the cloud development team? I know you guys are very busy and all, but it really would be great if we could clarify whether this is working as intended or not. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

BigNewy, so are you saying that this is NOT a bug? I, and many others have not noticed any difference between the different settings for Clouds in VR. Does this mean that the setting only works for 2d? 

If you are unsure, could you maybe check with someone on the cloud development team? I know you guys are very busy and all, but it really would be great if we could clarify whether this is working as intended or not. 

This is the same thing I have noticed with the water quality settings. Just like the cloud quality, in VR the low, medium, and high option settings for water don’t visibly change anything anymore. I am in agreement with the post above. We need clarification as to whether or not these issues are bugs or if they are, in fact, by design. Clearly someone on the team has to know. Right?!

Edited by bigalsunit
  • Like 3

vor 16 Minuten schrieb bigalsunit:

This is the same thing I have noticed with the water quality settings. Just like the cloud quality, in VR the low, medium, and high option settings for water don’t visibly change anything anymore. I am in agreement with the post above. We need clarification as to whether or not these issues are bugs or if they are, in fact, by design. Clearly someone on the team has to know. Right?!

Also noticed that the water was totally flat but I haven't thaught much about the reason. Maybe there is a simple bug that some options are not passed correctly to the engine when the VR mode is active. Fingers crossed that it is that simple and that we get a hotfix.

Edited by Wychmaster
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wychmaster said:

Also noticed that the water was totally flat but I haven't thaught much about the reason. Maybe there is a simple bug that some options are not passed correctly to the engine when the VR mode is active. Fingers crossed that it is that simple and that we get a hotfix.

Indeed, fingers crossed. I hope it's just a silly typo in some shader or similar and gets fixed soon.

Water is not flat, I don't understand what you are talking about. Clouds are not as good as on 2D monitor but still miles better than in 2.5.6.

yGObjY4.png

V7vH8lz.png

ZoQVdEG.png

• Like 1

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

I thought something was wrong with the water. It is not flat but the wave effect seems to be less prominent. Adding wind used to show more breaking waves the sea looks very still now with wind and high water settings. I only use VR so I’m not sure with 2d. 

• Like 2

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Marklar:

Water is not flat, I don't understand what you are talking about. Clouds are not as good as on 2D monitor but still miles better than in 2.5.6.

yGObjY4.png

V7vH8lz.png

ZoQVdEG.png

vor 4 Minuten schrieb westr:

I thought something was wrong with the water. It is not flat but the wave effect seems to be less prominent. Adding wind used to show more breaking waves the sea looks very still now with wind and high water settings. I only use VR so I’m not sure with 2d. 

This is what I meant. As said before haven't thaught about it much, just noticed that the water was very still and it seemed flat when I flew 100 feet above it at 500knots. Haven't compared it to 2d and haven't tried different wind settings yet.

27 minutes ago, Marklar said:

yGObjY4.png

V7vH8lz.png

ZoQVdEG.png

This is at 6000 ft with a 20kt wind. Flat as a mountain lake on a clear, calm morning. This is reminiscent of what the Medium setting used to look like in 2.5. Now in 2.7 this is what it looks like at Low, Medium, and High. Like it or not, just like the cloud quality settings, something is definitely up with the water in VR. Honestly, my only question is whether or not the devs know these settings aren’t taking for VR users or if this is the “new normal” that we should get used to.

050F9329-DD8C-4992-8060-4CCE92015FA1.png

Edited by bigalsunit
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marklar said:

I agree, they look better than in 2.5.6. The point is that quality settings don't seem to be as scalable as in 2D and the difference between clouds in LOW and ULTRA is minimal if any at all. Personally these days I feel a bit jealous when I see someone showing off the amazing clouds in 2D 🙂 I hope we get a hotfix for this soon

• Like 2

Water looks great in VR, it's simply that you are not used to it. You are used to the "gigantic" waves that rendered at 20 miles out in 2.5. This is much more realistic.  

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.