VR quality settings

Just a caveat here. The clouds in VR still look miles better than they did before 2.7, it's just a little bit strange that they don't seem to have the same "quality" that they do in 2d. That could be a tradeoff though, and possibly NOT a bug. I can live with it, would like to have confirmation that this is the case though. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Would have expected VR to have been checked more before release. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Yes, confirmation from ed would be nice if this is intended or not to have only low quality clouds in VR - could actually live with that too, would also say it still looks way better than before. But that vertical jittering makes it unplayable for me atm.

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

vor 25 Minuten schrieb DST:

Yes, confirmation from ed would be nice if this is intended or not to have only low quality clouds in VR - could actually live with that too, would also say it still looks way better than before. But that vertical jittering makes it unplayable for me atm.

Official statement would be nice, true, but I hope it's a bug and not intended. Low quality clouds would take away the fun (my opinion) of flying between the clouds.

Edited by Wychmaster
  • Like 2

appart, when we have same pixel colors and not contrass, it is more difficult to see the HUD information if the clouds are too white. If we see more details we will see shadows portions in the clouds and that will make the hud more readable (and of course the clouds more beautyful).

In MSFS I have ultra clouds and are a delicius view in VR.

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 1

Clouds look great in 2D. Really bad in VR. Even if the jumping gets fixed soon the low res of the clouds is really awful. 

also finding that the gamma setting is hard to adjust now because any terrain under the cloud shadows is hard to see in the headset but if it’s not under shadows the sunlight is way too bright on the terrain. It’s a diffI cult tradeoff.

performance does seem better to me so that’s good. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

The level of clouds too is a bit disappointing they seem to be flat underneath and limited by there depth with no random height any where on them, most look to be about 500-600m thick in most places.

I

From the weekend news:

"We are also working on a Cloud generator capable of creating on-demand visual representations of much larger clouds such as towering cumulus and cumulonimbus. After the initial launch, we will continue the development of natural cloud cycles, severe weather behaviour, thunderstorms and fog. "

I think the use of the word 'disappointing' is being used too much in my opinion. Yes the acid trip wobble effect of the clouds is bad < they're working on it. The quality of the clouds lower yes, but as we've already found out, the graphics option for them doesn't change things, so this is either a bug or something they've over looked. They isn't many games out there that support volumetric clouds, dynamic lighting and vr... So we've gotta chill and let it all mature for a while.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

The level of clouds too is a bit disappointing they seem to be flat underneath and limited by there depth with no random height any where on them, most look to be about 500-600m thick in most places.

Change presets. I tried "Broken 7" yesterday, and whilst the bottom is mostly flat, the top is definitely not - and there is a second, much more broken, layer on top around 30,000ft. Around 15,000ft you get to weave you way through different heights of clouds with the bottom layer underneath. No cumulonimbus yet, but it is not as flat as you describe.

The quality question seems to be in 2D as well ; a friend who is in the closed beta and plays with them for a few weeks already told me he keeps the clouds on low as he cannot see the difference.

The jittering/wobbling is the most annoying at the moment. I cannot say I am complaining too much about any kind of detail/sharpness of the clouds, to me they are already miles ahead of anything we had before in DCS. I am there for the gameplay they will allow, hiding in clouds, sync in MP, having to stay above a specific "hole" in the clouds to lase a target, sensors blocked...

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Actually I'm was not complaining either when I created this post, I think 2.7 it's an inmense achievement. It's more that I'm curious about the fact that the different quality settings don't seem to have any effect in VR and it seems to be stuck on LOW.

5 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

The quality question seems to be in 2D as well ; a friend who is in the closed beta and plays with them for a few weeks already told me he keeps the clouds on low as he cannot see the difference.

Ok, this is interesting. Played VR only yet and only saw screenshots from 2D in ultra settings and they looked way more sharper and detailed. 

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Qiou87:

Well, I tested it in 2d before VR and the difference is extremely noticeable. When I started it in 2d for the first time I was also not that impressed. But knowing the promo videos I knew there must be some option. After setting it to ultra, I got what I expected. Nice detailed clouds. Can't say the same for VR

20210414213649_1.jpg

• Like 2

This doesn't bother me as much as the low res and blurriness.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Same here. I've been switching between low and ultra and a few times the intermediate options just in case and there is no difference whatsoever. Clouds are so blurry and soft in VR that in my first flight I couldn't even tell how far or close they were.

At least I'm happy to find that I'm not alone.

There is also some people saying that they look great in VR, that may complicate things.

2 minutes ago, pimp said:

This doesn't bother me as much as the low res and blurriness.

I agree. I didn't see this in the bug list. I'd like to increase  detail, even at the cost of reducing other parameters. Actually I was mentally prepared before 2.7 to reduce some settings in order to have those amazing clouds as in 2D

• Like 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Jafergon:

I agree. I didn't see this in the bug list. I'd like to increase  detail, even at the cost of reducing other parameters. Actually I was mentally prepared before 2.7 to reduce some settings in order to have those amazing clouds as in 2D

+1

2 minutes ago, average_pilot said:

There is also some people saying that they look great in VR, that may complicate things.

Actually this morning I was telling a friend on the phone to silence his opnion in forums. He likes the soft look of clouds in vr and I was trying to convince him that he can't say that out there, because I want ED to fix this :)))

• Like 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Jafergon:

Actually this morning I was telling a friend on the phone to silence his opnion in forums. He likes the soft look of clouds in vr and I was trying to convince him that he can't say that out there, because I want ED to fix this :)))

Which house? which laser code? 😛

Edited by Wychmaster
  • Like 1

IMAO the jumping bothers more than the blurriness. Even when blurry they look much better than pre 2.7.

Sure 2D looks more amazing, but this a thing I used to when flying with VR^^

I hope that wobbling get fixed prior to eye Candy

Edited by jaghammer
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, jaghammer said:

IMAO the jumping is more bothers more than the blurriness. Even when blurry they look much better than pre 2.7.

Sure 2D looks more amazing, but this a thing I used to when flying with VR^^

I hope that wobbling get fixed prior to eye Candy

Yeah would also say if it turns out to be intended to look that way in VR, I could get used to it - wouldn't say they look "great" but certainly still better than what we had before - the wobbling is what makes the whole clouds look like fake special effect