Stereo rendering is painfully distorted

Ovo

The game's rendering of stereo is incorrect, as soon as I enter the game it's jarring, my eyes hurt trying to adapt and I get double vision. It's super obvious when I open the WMR or SteamVR dashboard overlay, which render correctly: the difference of rendering between the game and the overlay is particularly disturbing. The left and right eye images seem to have an abnormal vertical offset in DCS. There might be some abnormal FOV distortion too, I can't really tell.

Actually there's always been a distortion for me, but it was bearable before. Version 2.7 made it much worse, the game is unplayable for me now, my eyes hurt too much.

I'm using a Reverb G2 + 3080, but I had that issue with a Vive Pro + 1080 Ti before.

See screenshot in a post below: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/267909-stereo-rendering-is-painfully-distorted/?tab=comments#comment-4634859

Edited by Ovo
  • Like 1

+1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

I did find interesting artefact in VR 2.7. I've noticed that something wrong 2 lines of objects sitting somewhere at 5 and 10km from me. This affect was like if you're having wrong IPD. But it was strange, because everything in a cockpit or at further distance was ok. I've started to close my eyes one by one, and found out that the distance of drawing or LOD changing passing through these two lines is different for each eye. Its like a difference of 100-200m for each eye. And it more obvious when you're looking at the forest or city. This is really wierd, Ive never seen nothing like this before. Seems like a bug to me.

• Thanks 1

Thank god for this thread..  I thought I was going crazy myself but there’s definitely something amiss.  Flying around the F/A-18 free flight in the Persian Gulf (over Abu Dhabi I believe) there is definitely a weird effect with the buildings at a specific distance.  Objects close and distant appear fine but there’s a distance like 3-5 miles where the term “distorted stereo rendering” sounds like the right description.  I actually active paused at one point and noticed that there’s a threshold distance where small buildings or trees would render in one eye but not the other creating a weird single vision effect (like the HMD being rendered in one eye).  I know that’s def an issue i.e. you can close one eye see a building/house then close the other and it’s not rendered yet... but I’m  not sure if that’s the only issue though.  I played around with the force_cross_eye_recovery_tool a bit to see if that helped but ultimately reset the values back to default projection.  Ugh... a tough one to articulate for the testers....

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Sadly, this bug "not rendered correctly at one eye for some objects" comes sincee 2.5.5, 1,5 years ago. II notice it also. Now, with 2.7 is quite visible with carrier crew just before takeoff, you will see strange things in their clothes at some distances. I hope ED fix it soon.

It is specially noticeable in static objects placed.

Edited by Gryzor

Here's a picture showing the issue.

I displayed the SteamVR dashboard over DCS' main menu, took a screenshot of both eyes then merged the two images.

They are aligned to put the optical focus at the center of the dashboard.

The dashboard is curved, so you can see that the center is sharp (see middle green arrow), but the left and right parts show an increasing horizontal offset (right green arrow). This is normal.

A horizontal offset is normal, that's how stereo vision works, our eyes are horizontally separated.

Now if you look at the DCS menu or hangar, you can see a pretty big vertical offset.

That's reaaally bad! It means that to focus, my eyes have to diverge vertically... brain doesn't like.

Fh4b1Rb.jpg

@BIGNEWYSerious issue here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Again...have u tried the WMR debug tool?

Valve Index user here. I have the problems mentioned above, and i dont have WMR debug tool. Noticed the glare on water in some instances (near/around ships) its shimmering only on left eye causing the weird effect in VR and breaks completely the look of the water. 

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, Brainfreeze said:

Again...have u tried the WMR debug tool?

I finally did, thanks for the tip and insisting.

The issue was fixed by swapping up/down for both eyes.

Does it mean it's flipped for everyone? If it's not too severe, a lot of people might not notice, but it's still straining their eyes, perhaps causing damage on the long run. ED should take this issue seriously and fix it for real...

Edited by Ovo

10 minutes ago, Ovo said:

I finally did, thanks for the info and insisting.

The issue was fixed by swapping up/down for both eyes.

Does it mean it's flipped for everyone? If it's not too severe, a lot of people might not notice, but it's still straining their eyes, perhaps causing damage on the long run. ED should take this issue seriously and fix it once and for all...

I have one G2 where the alignment is horrific and incredibly noticeable when in VR Zoom mode, literally sending me cross eyed, the other G2 is completely fine (or at least it seems to be). So there is the factory calibration tolerances to be questioned, but yes, ED should really get this sorted once and for all. My understanding is the unit reports this calibration data. I can't believe it's an insurmountable problem, as the issue is not present in any other VR title that I have played using the exact same hardware.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero