Graphics Options

dresoccer4

Hi All - 

I'm curious if there's documentation on what these highlighted graphics options do exactly and how they affect performance. Can someone either explain the difference or point to a good explanation? Thanks.

1-settings.jpg

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

The only new option is SSAO, the other two options are already in since months/years(SSLR/SSAA) and documented in the DCS manual page 25.

For SSAO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_space_ambient_occlusion

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

The rendering in 2.7 looks so good with all these extra options, especially SSAO and cloud presets.  Though already visually more pleasing in VR, it's even more breathtaking on a 4K flatscreen where you can appreciate the tiniest details, which can also be further enhanced via Reshade filters.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

6 hours ago, Canada_Moose said:

Forest Detail Factor and Scenery Detail Factor are both new as well. Does the manual cover these options?  (haven't had chance to look)

Forest Detail - From my tests, paused in my Hornet above a forest, looking down, it simply changes the detail, slight increase to amount and fullness of trees. Didn’t see any FPS hits on either minimum or maximum. Up high, can’t see the detail change. It did not change visibility distance of trees and that’s a different slider.

Scenery Detail - same test. It changes some building shapes from smaller to a bit bigger, either adds or removes detail such as roof top A/C units, and adds or removes building side details such as brick work or fencing. Also saw a few shadow detail changes. No FPS hit noted between full left or right. Oh, and changes airfield antennas from actual antennas beside vehicles on high, to red and white safety columns on low. 

Edited by Spetz
Add new info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Spetz:

Forest Detail - From my tests, paused in my Hornet above a forest, looking down, it simply changes the detail, slight increase to amount and fullness of trees. Didn’t see any FPS hits on either minimum or maximum. Up high, can’t see the detail change. It did not change visibility distance of trees and that’s a different slider.

Scenery Detail - same test. It changes some building shapes from smaller to a bit bigger, either adds or removes detail such as roof top A/C units, and adds or removes building side details such as brick work or fencing. Also saw a few shadow detail changes. No FPS hit noted between full left or right. Oh, and changes airfield antennas from actual antennas beside vehicles on high, to red and white safety columns on low. 

I guess those are  just parameter that controls the distance when the LOD of an object is reduced to save processing power. So it heavily depends which part of your GPU is the limiting factor. If  vertex processing isn't a problem, then you won't notice any frame differences. This should be the case for the people with up-to-date hardware.

1 hour ago, Skysurfer said:

Has anyone done some tests with SSAO? Haven't really felt a performance or even noticeable visual difference. 

No pictures at the moment, but I can confirm it is working correctly just the effect is waaaayyyy too subtle. It should be much more evident (darker AND bigger radious).

• Like 3

Take a look at my MODS here

• ED Team

Hi, 

if you hover your mouse over the option you should see a tool tip with a description of the option

thanks

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

if you hover your mouse over the option you should see a tool tip with a description of the option

thanks

Thanks but that doesn’t work for me. Am I missing something?

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

• ED Team
12 minutes ago, DucS2r said:

Thanks but that doesn’t work for me. Am I missing something?

Apologies, it looks like it did not make it into open beta yet, soon you will be able to hover over the options to get a description of the option, you can see an example in gameplay settings in current open beta, it will apply to the main settings page in a future patch

Screen_210415_234121.png

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hey newy it’d be pretty nifty if those pop up tool tips said which thing it affects more, CPU or GPU.

I like that you’re including in the SSAO tip that it’s a “big” gpu hit. 

helps people figure out what settings they need to adjust 

• Like 3

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

SSAO looks very nice - for me it's about a 10% performance drop.

ULTRA clouds - only about a 5FPS drop compared to normal.

I can live without the SSAO for the performance, but the ULTRA clouds are well worth the small drop.

Overall, what an update, wow.

😍

Old i7 980X CPU @ 4.4

Nvidia Titan X Pascal (12GB)

24GB RAM

3440x1440

Edited by audiodistortion
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 11:31 PM, dresoccer4 said:

I'm curious if there's documentation on what these highlighted graphics options do exactly and how they affect performance. Can someone either explain the difference or point to a good explanation? Thanks.

If you want more information on the graphic options and how they impact performance check out my post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2