2.7 dynamic reflections

FoxTwo

The cockpit baked dynamic reflections look good however some materials are reflecting that probably shouldn't be; specifically the door behind the flight engineer's station there's a piece of cloth(?) in the door texture that's reflecting the rest of the cockpit. It's probably easier to just remove that bit of texture rather than model a new layer just for that cloth tbh.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, looks terrible in 2.7.  Way too dark and like a can of furniture polish has exploded in the cockpit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

• 2 weeks later...

Many parts in the cockpit have wrong texture/material properties, that make them mirror-like in 2.7.

Namely the floor, rear cabin wall, sticks, pedals, central console and roof escape hatch. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, no changes here.

It may look okay-ish on a static screenshot, but not great in flight. 

Screen_210525_232913.jpg

Screen_210525_233002.jpg

Edited by some1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any update on the issue?

Most of the cockpit looks like glass (wall behind the pilot, the floor, sides of the central pedestal, cyclic stick), should be possible to just make them matt again?

Edited by Mnemonic

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's basically the same issue as with the shiny Huey fuselage textures:

Removing certain materials from the file cockpit_mi-8mt.edm.json partially solves the reflections. Example: Shiny floor can be solved by deleting the marked file entry:

MI-8_shiny_material.JPG

Shiny appearance of pedals and other parts cannot be solved by editing the file though.

Edited by Rifter
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rifter said:

It's basically the same issue as with the shiny Huey fuselage textures:

Removing certain materials from the file cockpit_mi-8mt.edm.json partially solves the reflections. Example: Shiny floor can be solved by deleting the marked file entry:

MI-8_shiny_material.JPG

Shiny appearance of pedals and other parts cannot be solved by editing the file though.

Yea, still would be nice if ED managed to fix this, if they can't fix the bugs on older modules it would be nice if they at least managed to fix the stuff they break later with their updates.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

For some reason ED has an inhibition to touch the old Belsimtek helicopter moduls (geometry and texture wise). Several graphics/lightning issues are pending for years now. At some point I developed the delusional idea that ED has suffered from a data loss in the past and is not able to access their original 3dsmax data anymore and is therefore stuck with the old .edm files and is forced to solve all graphics issues as  laborious workarounds in the core program.

Edited by Rifter
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The problem here is with bad roughness maps. Everything painted black on the roughness map with have a glass finish in DCS. And there's a lot of stuff with black rouhness map in the Mi-8. 

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, some1 said:

The problem here is with bad roughness maps. Everything painted black on the roughness map with have a glass finish in DCS. And there's a lot of stuff with black rouhness map in the Mi-8. 

image.png

image.png

Is that something that can be user fixed/edited and still pass IC?

Moreover, is that something ED could fix in a minute but havent? 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

No idea.

But it's probably something that ED could fix in a few hours if they wanted to. 

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, Vladinsky said:

I managed to cobble together a fix based on the previous posts, not great but it does the job.

Appears to be IC friendly too.

Mi8 reflection fix.rar 4.65 MB · 5 downloads

Good attempt. The only drawback I'm seeing is it makes letters on the central panel barely visible when they're covered by any shadow. Other than that, however, it's a workaround for us.

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/14/2021 at 5:43 PM, MadJiitensha said:

+1
Cockpit floor, and cyclic shine way too much. 

Finally fixed today after 3 years! (But are there any reflections left? I can't say I'm seeing any on the instrument glass or the canopy interior.)

Just checked again and I also see the cyclic grip has lost its shine. I actually liked the reflections on that, as they were plausible on shiny hard plastic. And yes, there doesn't appear to be any reflections at all in the Mi-8 cockpit now. Not on the dials, not on the canopy glass, nothing! 

I guess that's one way to fix it. Take us back to 2021! LOL!

Edited by SMH
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed all reflections disappeared, too. A bit of an extreme over-reaction to the problem.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."