TWS not working properly?

Martin88

4 minutes ago, Martin88 said:

When you moved tdc cursor to the right, the scanned zone moved

Are you sure he was not TDC depressing then? I will check tomorrow I think, after my 2.7 will download.

Edited by Padre Pio

The TWS scan volume is not supposed to follow the cursor, as you should be able to move the cursor over other contacts without changing where the radar is looking.  TDC action should be required to move the radar FOV.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mo410 said:

The TWS scan volume is not supposed to follow the cursor, as you should be able to move the cursor over other contacts without changing where the radar is looking.  TDC action should be required to move the radar FOV.

Exactly! And this is also mentioned somewhere in the patch changelog. All good and working as intended.

• Like 1

So, BIAS is the only way to adjust the TWS scan centering in azimuth now?

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

19 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

So, BIAS is the only way to adjust the TWS scan centering in azimuth now?

No. Use MAN. Depress and release the TDC to set the center.

BIAS was previously a pointless mode. Now it has a purpose. The idea of BIAS is to "bias" the AUTO scan center. Basically you can shift it left or right, while still maintaining the L&S and DT2 targets.

are you kidding me? Is this abbomination "correct as is?". TWS is supposed to work only in BIAS mode? and why did they not remove "manual" all these years ago??? I don't get it...

• Like 1

- Hardware: i7 13700K || RTX 4090 || 64Gb DDR5 6000MT/s || 2Tb NVMe || 3440X1440 || Virpil Constellation Alpha Prime || Virpil Wrbrd Base || Virpil T-50CM3 || Winwing PTO 2 || Winwing MIP w/o UFC || Track IR

- Fixed Wing Modules: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-14, M-2000C, JF-17, AV-8B, F-5E, A-10CII, Flaming Cliffs.

- Rotary Wing Modules: UH-1H, AH-64D, SA342

- Terrains: Marianas, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

25 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

are you kidding me? Is this abbomination "correct as is?". TWS is supposed to work only in BIAS mode? and why did they not remove "manual" all these years ago??? I don't get it...

This works much better than the previous implementation. Let me lay it out:

AUTO - TWS automatically maintains the L&S and DT2 trackfiles.

BIAS - from AUTO, the TDC is depressed/released. The scan center is shifted to that azimuth, but the L&S and DT2 are still forcibly maintained in the volume. As such the center may not be fully honored, since maintaining the designated trackfiles is the primary objective of BIAS.

MAN - TDC is depressed/released. The scan center is centered at that azimuth without regard for the L&S or DT2 targets.

The confusion stems from the fact that the previous implementation of MAN and BIAS were completely and utterly incorrect.

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

It is a bummer that, apparently, the real radar does not have a slew-able azimuth feature. 😒 I've loved being able to slew a narrow azimuth around in TWS MAN with a throttle hat without have to TDC press and wait.

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

17 minutes ago, Jak525 said:

This works much better than the previous implementation. Let me lay it out:

AUTO - TWS automatically maintains the L&S and DT2 trackfiles.

BIAS - from AUTO, the TDC is depressed/released. The scan center is shifted to that azimuth, but the L&S and DT2 are still forcibly maintained in the volume. As such the center may not be fully honored, since maintaining the designated trackfiles is the primary objective of BIAS.

MAN - TDC is depressed/released. The scan center is centered at that azimuth without regard for the L&S or DT2 targets.

The confusion stems from the fact that the previous implementation of MAN and BIAS were completely and utterly incorrect.

Thanks for the explanation. I had been used to old TWS and liked it quite much. Now, I feel like I will be fighting with the controls to lock someone up. With the old implementation I just slewed around with 4B and I was pretty much ok. Now it feels it got much more complicated.

Aaaaand the waited a couple of years for a simple fix, when literally everyone is used to a certain way TWS works.

Edited by LaFleur
  • Like 1

- Hardware: i7 13700K || RTX 4090 || 64Gb DDR5 6000MT/s || 2Tb NVMe || 3440X1440 || Virpil Constellation Alpha Prime || Virpil Wrbrd Base || Virpil T-50CM3 || Winwing PTO 2 || Winwing MIP w/o UFC || Track IR

- Fixed Wing Modules: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-14, M-2000C, JF-17, AV-8B, F-5E, A-10CII, Flaming Cliffs.

- Rotary Wing Modules: UH-1H, AH-64D, SA342

- Terrains: Marianas, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

7 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

It is a bummer that, apparently, the real radar does not have a slew-able azimuth feature. 😒 I've loved being able to slew a narrow azimuth around in TWS MAN with a throttle hat without have to TDC press and wait.

Spotlight mode accomplishes this exact thing. Press and hold the TDC for more than 1 second. The SPOT cue appears and an X is drawn in the center of the cursor. As a bonus, it's even space stabilized.

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jak525 said:

Spotlight mode accomplishes this exact thing. Press and hold the TDC for more than 1 second. The SPOT cue appears and an X is drawn in the center of the cursor. As a bonus, it's even space stabilized.

Is it slew-able in SPOT, though? And our old (albeit unrealistic, apparently) setup didn't require a press & hold for 1 second either... 

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

1 hour ago, LastRifleRound said:

How many bars is SPOT? Is it just whatever you have the radar already set to or is it a set number of bars regardless of setting?

Uses your own bar and PRF. 22° azimuth.

Edited by Jak525
  • Thanks 1

vor 21 Stunden schrieb wilbur81:

Nice. Once you've entered SPOT can you release the TDC depress and just slew?

i just had my frist MP flight with it and its just so annoying. i use my SA page on my Left DDI, so you go into spot, then SCS left, check bandit altiude, SCS right, you are out of Spot. You lock something up in Spot, drop the lock instantly, you are out of spot, you press undesignate, you are out of spot. Everytime i have to Press and hold TDC Depress for more than a second. It slows the Process of using SA page together with the Radar down by a huge Ammount. If thats how it is in real life, they really didn't make it user friendly lol, atleast not for stressfull situations 😞

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wobbly said:

i just had my frist MP flight with it and its just so annoying. i use my SA page on my Left DDI, so you go into spot, then SCS left, check bandit altiude, SCS right, you are out of Spot. You lock something up in Spot, drop the lock instantly, you are out of spot, you press undesignate, you are out of spot. Everytime i have to Press and hold TDC Depress for more than a second. It slows the Process of using SA page together with the Radar down by a huge Ammount. If thats how it is in real life, they really didn't make it user friendly lol, atleast not for stressfull situations 😞

DCS is exceptionally clunky and wrong at the moment. The trackfile's altitude should be able to be seen on the Attack format, without going to the SA.

Removing TDC priority from the Attack format should exit Spotlight and remove the cursor from the Attack page entirely though. Cursor should only be visible when TDC is assigned to the given format.

In the end, the whole swapping between SA and Attack should NOT be a necessary part of the workflow. You should be able to purely reference the Attack format. The advantage of the SA is 1) shows targets behind you and 2) shows some more detailed data on the MSI track like callsign and whatnot.

Ultimately, a complete redo of MSI trackfiles is required. You shouldn't need to go the SA format for one thing and the Attack/Radar for another, except for that detailed information the SA provides in the data windows that is not on  the Attack format. In fact, those data windows should display on the SA for the target under cursor on the Attack. So you can simply glance at the SA for info on the target you have under cursor on the Attack, without assigning the TDC to the SA and slewing the cursor on the SA itself. Same for Az/El.

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1