P-51 RAM air missing after patch.

grafspee

• grafspee changed the title to P-51 RAM air missing after patch.

For me both the Ram Air and Hot Air controls don't work when set as an axis, but do work when set as buttons, or when moving in cockpit with the mouse.

See further down for more up to date description of bug.

Edited by MJDixon
Updated information

Look at MP, with ram air or filter in operation MP is the same,

Ram air position this mean Lever full forward will give additional boost based on your IAS.

And this feature is missing right now, at least for me.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

4 hours ago, MJDixon said:

For me both the Ram Air and Hot Air controls don't work when set as an axis, but do work when set as buttons, or when moving in cockpit with the mouse.

I remember before the patch they were able to travel through all the track using buttons commands (not axis), but now both of them are only able to reach fully open or fully closed, not intermediate positions.

Edited by Arink429
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

Further testing it seems that mapping the RAM air to an axis does work, as the manifold pressure will change depending on where you move it (but the lever in the cockpit doesn't move), but moving the levers in the cockpit with the mouse had no effect on the RAM air, as if the in cockpit controls are disconnected from the sim.

29 minutes ago, Arink429 said:

I remember before the patch they were able to travel through all the track using buttons commands (not axis), but now both of them are only able to reach fully open or fully closed, not intermediate positions.

Seems there's an animation issue with the flaps where they only show either no flaps or full flaps rather than each increment, so maybe that could be doing the same thing here as far as the animation goes?

Edited by MJDixon
  • Like 2

Yes, it seems to be an animation issue, not a functionality issue.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

Ok, but i run out of available axis already 😛

I don't know why assigning ram air to axis, it isn't thing which you need to adjust smoothly, you do ram air or filter in.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Keybindings operation now increase / decrease full on / full off. Gradual moving no longer possible with keybindings. Not tried / never used axis binding. Movable with mouse as before (clumsily).

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

3 hours ago, grafspee said:

Ok, but i run out of available axis already 😛

I don't know why assigning ram air to axis, it isn't thing which you need to adjust smoothly, you do ram air or filter in.

I just like to assign them to my Saitek throttle quadrant as it most closely matches what's in the cockpit. 🙂

33 minutes ago, -0303- said:

Keybindings operation now increase / decrease full on / full off. Gradual moving no longer possible with keybindings. Not tried / never used axis binding. Movable with mouse as before (clumsily).

You can move the lever with the mouse, but it doesn't actually operate anything (as the manifold pressure doesn't change), using an axis does change the manifold pressure but the cockpit levers don't move, I didn't check to see if the manifold pressure changes when using buttons.

I never knew RAM air could have an effect. Used only key binds. Watched temps a few times not seeing any change.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

17 minutes ago, -0303- said:

I never knew RAM air could have an effect. Used only key binds. Watched temps a few times not seeing any change.

Ram air will affect carb temp, and MP.

It will increase boost significantly at high speeds, it effect is only visible above critical alt, at sea level it actually reduce power due to excessive air temp heat up.

Probably impossible to reach max cellling with out RAM air.

In practical use RAM air will increase max throttle altitude.

RAM air is present in all warbirds, it is hard to detect since P-51 spitfire bf109 or fw190 use automatic boost control so any gain from ram air below crit alts will be cut out via throttle valve.

This effect is very visible in P-47 which does not have automatic boost control, so you can check it how big gains are from this, when flying very slow let say 150mph we will see max 46"/47" at 2700" at throttle alone, but at speeds +400mph we will see MP going above 52".

I will test it further but you can probably boost pass 60" in P-47 at throttle alone due to RAM air.

Edited by grafspee

Yeah, I found that too after update 2.7. With the mouse, you can set the 2 handles however you like. With bound controles it's only full front or full back for both handles. And as with the flaps-handle, I don't know in the handle-setting actually sets the ram-air or carb-heat setting...

Watch from 4:15

• Like 1

It is true, if you assign cold air axis in axis tab RAM air works, but lever stays stationary, and keyboard bindings moves lever but with no effect.

Yeah, for me, niether (hot air or ram air) animation works properly.  When activated, the animation instantly goes full forward or full aft (depending on activation).  It seems like it IS actually doing something; however, without the animation, there is no way to tell (that I know of) where each system is actually set to.

I just hold the actiation down for a few seconds to ensure that it is either fully forward or fully aft.

It was the same with the flaps but this appears to have been fixed with the last patch.

• 1 month later...

I think I found the problem with RAM and Carburetor Air Controls. 

Proceed at your own risk from this point on.

Go to this file DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua

Make a backup copy.

Open the file in a text editor such as Notepad++

Edit lines 761 and 762 that look like this

elements["pnt_134"] = default_movable_axis(_("Carburetor Cold Air Control"),devices.ENGINE_SYSTEM, device_commands.Button_8, 134, 0.1 )
elements["pnt_135"] = default_movable_axis(_("Carburetor Warm Air Control"),devices.ENGINE_SYSTEM, device_commands.Button_28, 135, 0.1 )

Change device_commands.Button_8 to device_commands.Button_7

Change device_commands.Button_28 to device_commands.Button_27

The result should look like this.

elements["pnt_134"] = default_movable_axis(_("Carburetor Cold Air Control"),devices.ENGINE_SYSTEM, device_commands.Button_7, 134, 0.1 )
elements["pnt_135"] = default_movable_axis(_("Carburetor Warm Air Control"),devices.ENGINE_SYSTEM, device_commands.Button_27, 135, 0.1 )

I haven't confirmed anything other than that this results in the correct cockpit animations when setting RAM and Carburetor Air to an axis.

This file will be overwritten at every update so you will have to change it manually until fixed by ED.

• Thanks 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Thanks for this.  It does make the levers actually move in the cockpit again at least.  However, the levers start forward but I don't think the system is actually engage as indicated by the levers.  So far I've found that, if I move them all the way back, then the system and the levers synchronize.

I'll do a few more flights to see if this is accurate.

Question is, does ram air work? This is the most important thing, i fly with cold air axis controlled, my lever don't move at all in cockpit, but at least RAM air is working. If someone don't have spare axis for this lever, i don't know if is work around it.

Edited by grafspee

On 6/10/2021 at 12:25 AM, grafspee said:

Question is, does ram air work? This is the most important thing, i fly with cold air axis controlled, my lever don't move at all in cockpit, but at least RAM air is working. If someone don't have spare axis for this lever, i don't know if is work around it.

The answer is, yes, the air controls work properly once my fix is applied and the levers are adjusted via control axis. I tested it this morning. I didn't bother testing any other use case.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

6 hours ago, pmiceli said:

The answer is, yes, the air controls work properly once my fix is applied and the levers are adjusted via control axis. I tested it this morning. I didn't bother testing any other use case.

but still you have to use axis to control cold air

No, I don't think so. I bound the controlls to switches on the HOTAS, but it's still not binary. If I press the switch I see the lever moving forward/backward. When I release that switch the lever stays in that position. Works fine by me. Works as it always has, before 2.7.

Edited by MarcT-NL