DCS 2.7 VR performance

Charly314159

I've been struggling all weekend trying out everything I read on the forum with no luck until this morning I decided to uninstall completely and then install it again from scratch. All performance issues are gone, visuals with new cloud and lightning are awesome and might be just placebo effect but I do feel it runs smoother than before in my medium range rig (i7900, 32GB, 2060 with G2). Now I can even taxi from Incirlik with only very little "acceptable" stuttering

I did a full clean and repair before with no luck, and I have no idea why fully uninstalling would make any difference as in theory repair-clean would be the same. But I did have an error while installing DCS from the Beta installer. It installed the updater exe on the bin folder, and when the actual game started to download I got an error telling me that it did not have permission. So I run the updater myself from cmd to install the game. Just a silly theoru, but maybe when the game updated automatically from 2.5.6 to 2.7 something similar happened and some files could not be deleted/updated/installed, and that caused the problems? 

10 hours ago, eUK Nibbler said:

My settings are hilariously bad for a 10900k and a 3090.

I get better gameplay on every other vr game I play. 

I hear the clouds are even a server side thing, surely that'd take some load off of our own systems. 

I can run vr driving sims with like 300%ss and maxed out settings. 

DCS is literally perfect for vr as a lot of air forces are using it to train pilots but it's hideous. 

You should definitely make a clean reinstall. 

Hi, 

I decided to uninstall everything, to start from scratch. Everything is much better now in VR, even with the clouds. I have some DCS crashes but many are reported now.

I don't use MSAA for the moment.

Config : i9 9900k 5 Ghz, Oculus Quest 2, 2080 RTX, 32 Go Ram

Kr

I have the same problem. I have lost so much performance in VR since the update, I use the G2 headset and was getting reasonable frame rates normally between 45-50fps with settings quite high. I am now getting a maximum of 30-32fps with no cloud and 25-27fps with cloud with average settings. Something I have noticed is that changing the settings in DCS make very little difference to my frame rates. 

Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P Midi-Tower Black

Cooler Master 850W Silencio Fan 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular

Intel Core i9-9900K 8 Cores – 16 Threads 3.6GHz / 5.00GHz

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB

Nvidia RTX 3090 Graphics card

ATX - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER  

3 x 2TB - ADATA XPG Pro M.2 PCI Express 3.0 3D TLC NVMe

Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB Kit (4 x 16GB), DDR4, 3200MHz

Nvidia RTX 3090

DCS settings.jpg

dcs.log

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

On 4/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, BIGNEWY said:

strange most reports I am getting are for good performance. 

please share your dcs log, and your settings in dcs and vr and we will try to help you again

thanks

I see an increase in Frame time ( from 18 up to 36ms) with my settings. These are the same setting I had with 2.5.6.XXX, and was getting a solid 45FPS and high teens in frame time. I am using a reverb G2 with a 3090. to add, reprojection is pretty much unplayable with these setting as it drops to 25 FPS and 56+ ms Frame time.

Note there is also a small space inside my headset ( highlighted in screenshot ) when flying above the clouds. An increase in the size of the viewport in VR is recommended.Reverb_G2_LeftEye_DCS_1.png

dcs.log-20210418-172312.zip

zprwsp-6.png

10700k, 3090, reverb g2....about 15 fps loss on avg, did a fresh windows and dcs install, no joy..avg about 40 to 45 fps no reprojection enabled which isn't bad....but lots of stuttering....and if I get to an area with action going on....eastern friendship mission 1 in the hornet comes to mind when approaching the smoke to provide cas, I drop as low as 20 when 2.5 I would maintain 55 to 60...guess its time to wait and see....may change refresh to 60 hz from 90 for now and deal with the flashing lens (not sure the technical term)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thundercat710 said:

Imagine having a 3090 and writing about how you had it good with no shadows, no illumination, no lens flare/blur,  no traffic, no ground clutter, medium distance, etc. just 2x MSAA, 50% SS, 1.0 PD, w/ Kegetys VR shaders

Lol.....VR needs work.

Hi to all.

The appearance of v2.7 update has coincided with a Windows update that is causing many problems to a large number of users, including myself.

One of the flaws is the huge drop in FPS in various games, including our DCS World.

The issues come with update KB5001330. After uninstalling the update, everything is back to normal.

Do some research and you will see that there are many people with problems when putting that update.

Greetings.

Edited by CN_Iceman

http://www.icemansoft.es

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Intel i9-9900K @5.0Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Liquid Cooler 240 | MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4000 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | 2 x Trustmaster MFD | Oculus Rift | Steelseries Siberia 650 RGB | G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 MX | Logitech G502 HERO

6 hours ago, CN_Iceman said:

Hi to all.

The appearance of v2.7 update has coincided with a Windows update that is causing many problems to a large number of users, including myself.

One of the flaws is the huge drop in FPS in various games, including our DCS World.

The issues come with update KB5001330. After uninstalling the update, everything is back to normal.

Do some research and you will see that there are many people with problems when putting that update.

Greetings.

I have just uninstalled the KB5001330 update and its made a difference still down on performance, but a definite difference probably about 7 -10fps thank you for the information...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

1 hour ago, saunder said:

I have just uninstalled the KB5001330 update and its made a difference still down on performance, but a definite difference probably about 7 -10fps thank you for the information...

Did this help anyone? No noticeable FPS gain for me.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

40 minutes ago, JumpinK said:

Did this help anyone? No noticeable FPS gain for me.

My performance seems about the same with 2.7 and I have that update.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So after testing 2.7 I have to admit that with my setup 2.7 is 30% slower than 2.5. ☹️

Repair and deleting the saved games folder didnt helped.
Also playing with the nvidia settings didnt helped. 

So I guess I have to stay with 2.5 untill there is a fix.

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

I too noticed a pretty huge fps drop and gpu frametime increase in VR, with the same settings in 2.7 I get ~15 fps less with clouds, without clouds I get similar fps to 2.5.6. With clouds I noticed also that I get better fps when close to the ground rather than near the new clouds (standard setting).

Tried uninstalling the windows update KB5001330 but nothing changed. Tried also playing on a 4k screen and I get better fps than 2.5.6, so the problem is only VR for me.

Specs: RTX 3070 - 5800x - 32gb 3200mhz ram - reverb G2 - DCS on nvme

Edited by Freus

11 hours ago, Freus said:

I too noticed a pretty huge fps drop and gpu frametime increase in VR, with the same settings in 2.7 I get ~15 fps less with clouds, without clouds I get similar fps to 2.5.6. With clouds I noticed that I get better fps when near the ground rather than close to the new clouds (standard setting).

Tried uninstalling the windows update KB5001330 but nothing changed. Tried also playing on a 4k screen and I get better fps than 2.5.6, so the problem is only VR.

Specs: RTX 3070 - 5800x - 32gb 3200mhz ram - reverb G2 - DCS on nvme

The problem is not only VR! I have a low end rig without VR and also recognizing about 30% fps drop.

I did a fresh install with deleting the saved games, rolling back windows 1330 update, switched of windows hags and fso - all of which with no effect.

So maybe the problem is more based on screen resolution, since only about 15% of the users are recognizing this performance drop?

• Like 1

Basically the cloud system has added some extra strain in fps, the new fire animation is brutal on fps and smoke is a killer too. Any MP with a lot of scripts running crushes your CPU.

VR will NEVER be any good in DCS. The whole thing would need a redesign from the ground up as its clearly bloated and outdated.

I love this game but their needs to be more focus on game engine refinement/overhaul or things will just get worse.

If IL2 or War Thunder or some other new game suddenly shifts its focus to a more Sim style play, DCS will leak players very quickly.

You want new players?! give them a new/exiting experience.... "Flight Simulator" in VR.... with ammunition/bombs etc!!

It's ok having new modules etc but if its just the same experience over and over but in a slightly different aircraft skin... what's the pull for new players?

Sitting in the cockpit in VR is amazing... till the FPS turns to crap

I hear people say all the time that they've been thinking about VR a lot but they hear from other players how bad it is and they're just waiting for it to get better, how long till they get bored of the same ol thing over and over and just leave to find a different game?

I genuinely think VR could save DCS from a slow death.

• Thanks 4

Are you aware that ED is working on a Vulkan update (currently) due Q3 this year ?

6 hours ago, eUK Nibbler said:

Basically the cloud system has added some extra strain in fps, the new fire animation is brutal on fps and smoke is a killer too. Any MP with a lot of scripts running crushes your CPU.

VR will NEVER be any good in DCS. The whole thing would need a redesign from the ground up as its clearly bloated and outdated.

I love this game but their needs to be more focus on game engine refinement/overhaul or things will just get worse.

If IL2 or War Thunder or some other new game suddenly shifts its focus to a more Sim style play, DCS will leak players very quickly.

You want new players?! give them a new/exiting experience.... "Flight Simulator" in VR.... with ammunition/bombs etc!!

It's ok having new modules etc but if its just the same experience over and over but in a slightly different aircraft skin... what's the pull for new players?

Sitting in the cockpit in VR is amazing... till the FPS turns to crap

I hear people say all the time that they've been thinking about VR a lot but they hear from other players how bad it is and they're just waiting for it to get better, how long till they get bored of the same ol thing over and over and just leave to find a different game?

I genuinely think VR could save DCS from a slow death.

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just an update regarding the performance for Quest 2 users.

I updated the Quest to V28 and PC Software on V24 and the usb speed are now at 2,3Gbit (1,1 before) and this improved the smoothness a lot. Not in terms of fps in the DCS counter but it helped. If you having problems with the Quest 2 try V28.

@BIGNEWY Is the fps counter in DCS the right way to measure the performance in VR? I ask this just to clarify that the DCS counter is not showing the wrong numbers for the Quest and the performance isn’t that bad.

I would recommend a couple of things, for the purpose of performance measurement:

- turn off, motion smoothing

- use FpsVR to measure the frame times for both cpu and gpu

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I would recommend a couple of things, for the purpose of performance measurement:

But isn’t fpsVR just for steam?

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Does that work for stand-alone DCS?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

yes though it requires steamvr to run, I use it with standalone dcs, and wmr/steamvr

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

6 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

yes though it requires steamvr to run, I use it with standalone dcs, and wmr/steamvr

But I think it’s linked to steamVR. So if you are playing with oculus without steamVR it doesn’t help.

Edit: Oculus has its own measuring tool but it won’t work with DCS. I think it’s covered by a rendering layer or something, because on the loading screen it is visible. Maybe this could be fixed by ED so that debugging is  easer for Oculus user without steamVR.

Edited by Max Thunder

It’s less precise but you can also use RTSS with MSI Afterburner, to get the hybrid frame time, but, is really just FPS it doesn’t show you where the bottle necks are