DCS 2.7 VR performance

Charly314159

As feared 2.7 has brought a massive performance dump in VR especially on top of the clouds.

I get massive stuttering when on top of overcast weather. This is with a 2080ti, a 5600x, 32gb, and a HP reverb at 120% steam and pd 1.

Do you expect all vr user to have a 3090?

Edited by Charly314159
  • Like 2

• ED Team

strange most reports I am getting are for good performance. 

please share your dcs log, and your settings in dcs and vr and we will try to help you again

thanks

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I was quite surprised to see that the performance is at least as good as 2.5 in VR even with the enhanced visual effects and clouds set to ultra. 

Great job ED. I really love the new Digital Cloud Simulator 🙂

• Like 1

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

9 minutes ago, Bowman-011 said:

I was quite surprised to see that the performance is at least as good as 2.5 in VR even with the enhanced visual effects and clouds set to ultra. 

Great job ED. I really love the new Digital Cloud Simulator 🙂

Great for you, what's the point of coming to the bugs section to post about it? 

Do you think we are lying? 

dcs.log

specs.txt

Edited by Charly314159
  • Like 5

Same here, stuttering even with Clouds in LOW and same settings as before.

I am running a 3090 with an AMD 5800X and its unplayable now.

what makes me wonder: during troubleshooting, one time I was getting back to Windows to check my settings and suddenly DCS was running well, so I even increased the settings -> then I tried out a different mission and all went back to stuttering. I could not reproduce the better performance again.

where can I find the dcs log to attach it?

thanks

Clouds look pretty ok but also for me massive performance impact in VR. 
Going from 18 frametime to 25 , that's pretty massive. 

But i do have that "DCS VR OPTIMIZATION" thing running and mask is not a circle anymore but a weirdly irregular shaped thing. Maybe wait for the new VR shaders that might help a bit. 

Performance is ok with my set up, GPU temps not above 80 deg and FPS is good for me in VR. I haven't yet checked what FPS I'm actually getting but it looks smooth to me in VR.  Overall much better than I was expecting.

It also looks overall MUCH clearer than before, way better, considering I've got a Rift S and not a G2!

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

7 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

5600x 6900XT Red Devil 64 gigs
Clouds on ultra, performs perfectly.
Maybe lower the % on the Steam settings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, bart said:

Performance is ok with my set up, GPU temps not above 80 deg and FPS is good for me in VR. I haven't yet checked what FPS I'm actually getting but it looks smooth to me in VR.  Overall much better than I was expecting.

It also looks overall MUCH clearer than before, way better, considering I've got a Rift S and not a G2!

Again good for you... Why do you need to pollute this thread if you have no problem?

I have massive stutter on high end hardware so do other people. 

• Like 2

Hello, a nightmare for me too when I had splendid perfs with the previous version. I take for example the mission "free flight" with the P47, map "La manche", ultra fluid in vr before. Now, Even with the clouds in low, everything gets complicated as soon as you arrive at the edge or under the clouds. It becomes strictly unplayable after a while. I will try with the Syria map.

ps: 3d clouds in VR are not pretty, without VR they are.

Hardware: Oculus Quest 2, I9 9900k, 32 GB, 2080

As feared 2.7 has brought a massive performance dump in VR especially on top of the clouds.

I get massive stuttering when on top of overcast weather. This is with a 2080ti, a 5600x, 32gb, and a HP reverb at 120% steam and pd 1.

I've heard from a lot of people that they either have the same performance as before, or better. Me included.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

I've heard from a lot of people that they either have the same performance as before, or better. Me included.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ah, if you have heard it then. We are probably just making it up...

• Like 2

No one is claiming you are making it up , no one is claiming you are a liar , and no one is polluting this thread . 

Different systems/settings , YMMV , as always . I hope you are just frustrated , and don't have this attitude always .

I'll post my results here shortly , pro or con , and maybe it will help to resolve this problem by narrowing it down .

• Like 3

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes I am highly frustrated tonight. Despite what happened with 2.5.6 with regards to performance , ED is again rolling out an update which is causing a 30% dump for some of us.

It's still the same piling up on an outdated engine and I am pretty sure we are again going to suffer the consequences for the better part of the year.

Despite regularly upgrading my pc my settings are getting lower and lower to a point where I am not sure I can enjoy it more than 2.5.5

• Like 2

DCS is unplayable at the moment for me. In VR the clouds/sky bounces around and jitter, and it makes me nauseous, and I have never had a problem with nausea in VR. Please fix this before the Hind comes out...

I am running with:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3.40GHz

32.0GB RAM

EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2070
500GB SSD, 4TB external HDD
Oculus Rift S- running DCS standalone 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charly314159 said:

It doesn't matter if you are.  I am and I've gone from, on MP servers, 50-60 fps in a Reverb G2 pre 2.7 to 30-40 fps post 2.7 and I have made no changes to any settings. So, something is eating the performance.

• Like 2

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

My specs below . No overclocking Settings are :

PD 1.4

textures high

ground textures low

cockpit shadows low

civil traffic low

visibility range high

res displays 1024

MSAAx2

All new settings default EXCEPT

Clouds high

Trees 70%

Clutter maxed

Preload maxed

Chimney smoke 1

Af 8

Loaded the F-18 Caucasus FF in mission editor and changed clouds to 1st overcast level .

Flew very low over Batumi , between and above cloud layers , with lots of rolling and sweeping scan fore and aft .

If anything , i have gained some performance .

Hope this helps .

Edit : Forgot to mention i deleted FXO and metashader files .

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I normally only play stable but of course hoped over to the Beta for the clouds. I made all my settings the same as stable and FPS performance was notably worse for me. To clarify I am perfectly happy with performance and settings in stable (took me a while but its very dialled in) but in the Beta the FPS was below what I would be happy to play at with my same settings. Overall probably about a 20FPS average loss, although with ASW off and FPS fluctuating it is somewhat hard to guage. I did run the same mission I created in both stable and Beta 2.7 but I was trying lots of differnt clouds settings.

I did also note a lot of issues with the new clouds, what looks like heat haze and shimmer, some clouds renered very stangly that they just looked odd and out of place. Everything just looked a bit out of focus and it started to cause me eye strain.  

For now I am happy to hop back to the stable game. I am sure ED will optimise further, that is the point of Beta.