2.7.0.4625 Open Beta crash at second mission load

XPACT

1 hour ago, Blinde said:

Did this too, deleted the fxo and metashaders2 folders and boom. The game hasn't crashed for now after several attemps. Works just fine with reloading older missions.

I just wonder what everybody has in that metashaders2 folder that is has to be deleted? I still have to see the first file in that folder. Mine is always empty (in OB and stable).

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

19 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

I just wonder what everybody has in that metashaders2 folder that is has to be deleted? I still have to see the first file in that folder. Mine is always empty (in OB and stable).

Mine is usually empty, too, even when I look during missions and after. Only find it populated every now and then. It used to populate at the close of the first mission and remain populated. But that changed at some point.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, Tanuki44 said:

It would be nice to have other feedback on  page file settings,

Today again, no crash after several mission changes....

The problem is that whatever we try seems to work for a day or two... or three and then something causes it to stop working and the crashes return. I tried the page file trick which worked for a while ... and stopped working, then I moved my page file to a different drive which worked for a while ...

It does feel like a memory management issue of some sort. But my guess is that this is beyond some little trick that one of us is going to find. I'm far more than ready for ED to offer something beyond 'we are unable to replicate the crash' .. as I'm sure are they. Time to start building some more test beds and/or bringing in some more beta testers who are able to replicate the crash.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 3

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

12 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I'm far more than ready for ED for offer something beyond 'we are unable to replicate the crash' .. as I'm sure are they. Time to start building some more test beds and/or bringing in some more beta testers who are able to replicate the crash.

I have to shoehorn DCS around the margins of my day and usually for never more than a half hour at a time. But perhaps a few others of you...

2-3 Volunteers needed

Edited by Ironhand
  • Thanks 1

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Howdy all, my solution for now was to remove all mods from Save Gaves folder, also did delete all files from; AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbetaTemp/DCS, the log zip file I cannot attached here (don't know Y)

Edited by Sarabi

On 5/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, Ironhand said:

Yes. Old missions, new missions, quick missions—all are working for now without a crash which was why I decided to post today instead of waiting longer to see if things changed for the worse on my end. The more people who tried this, the sooner we’d have an answer.

For me this worked today. Tested after creating and "flying" a new empty mission. A couple of instant action on every map in succession, few restarts and few fly again. Compatibility turned off. Will see how long this holds.....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

50 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

For me this worked today...Will see how long this holds.....

For me, about 36 hrs.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

I've pretty much shelved DCS for the time being. Waiting until ED can fix these crashes as everything I've tried has only been a temporary solution. Nothing that has lasted longer than a few days at most before the crashes return.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

5 minutes ago, CarbonFox said:

I've pretty much shelved DCS for the time being. Waiting until ED can fix these crashes as everything I've tried has only been a temporary solution. Nothing that has lasted longer than a few days at most before the crashes return.

Same here I hope they release a fix soon, but for now everything is in ground stop status.

Edited by Outlaw24

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

One thing I have noticed is at least for me the issue comes and goes. For several days the game crashed on 2nd mission every time with any aircraft. I did not play for a couple of days came back and loaded the program and have had no crashes at all and I made no changes to anything. This has happen to me 3 times already. It will run fine for 3 days to a week and then start crashing again on 2nd mission.

• Like 1

I tried all the solutions, only using Win8 compatibility mode can prevent CTD from happening again. But there is a new problem. When using Win8 compatible mode to play, the game will drop FPS every 10 to 20 seconds, and then return to normal. This kind of FPS dropping is really annoying in a smooth game.

5 hours ago, NukeBear01 said:

I tried all the solutions, only using Win8 compatibility mode can prevent CTD from happening again. But there is a new problem. When using Win8 compatible mode to play, the game will drop FPS every 10 to 20 seconds, and then return to normal. This kind of FPS dropping is really annoying in a smooth game.

Yes, the Win8 - Fix works for me still (though I never had a lot of crashes to begin with, it only started with the most recent updates), and I also experience those occasionally framedrops (more like the game freezes for a split second) -

BUT I only experience them every 5 min or so, which is not nice but tolerable.

I have 64 GB ram - and my Pagefile is not used at all - perhaps that's the difference? I still strongly believe, it's a system memory handling issue....

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

4 hours ago, DavidNDC said:

My son and I just watched Top Gun again tonight. Afterwards we immediately went downstairs and fired up the Tomcat only to be greeted with contentious CTD.

We’re most displeased..

Off-topic: I go in reverse, flying DCS makes me buy a copy of Top Gun.

And yet, setting to Win8 compatible makes CTD less often, but it still happens.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I would just like to add that I have tested the solutions and non-solutions proposed in this topic, and none seems to hold. So, basically, after every flight, I quit the game and restart DCS. At least it saves me the time to cancel the bug reporting (after a hundred reports, I think ED got the message). 

In any case, I will be following this topic and testing potential solutions.

P.S.: Garlic seems to be the least functional of all proposed solutions.

19 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

It would be nice to have other feedback on  page file settings,

Today again, no crash after several mission changes....

Yesterday page file setting got mine working, for a day. Today, back to same 2nd mission crashing.

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

Good evening, you want to have full logs of any DCS crash do this.
Add the lines opposite in your regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Windows Error Reporting \ LocalDumps]
"DumpFolder" = "C: \\ CrashDumps"
"DumpCount" = dword: 00000010
"DumpType" = dword: 00000002

Create at the root of your system disk a directory with this name CrashDumps (either 😄 \ CrashDumps)
Restart your PC

During each crash of DCS or other a Dumps file will be created and complete.
Please note that the size of the logs is or will be very large ...
Do not forget to empty this folder according to possible DCS crashes because your disk will quickly melt into available space.

Here is what with reading the complete crash

Attention the BDR is really to be handled with care!

Fr

Bonsoir, vous souhaitez avoir des logs complets des éventuels crashs de DCS faite ceci.
Ajouter les lignes ci-contre dans votre régedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]
"DumpFolder"="C:\\CrashDumps"
"DumpCount"=dword:00000010
"DumpType"=dword:00000002

Créer à la racine de votre disque système un répertoire avec ce nom CrashDumps  ( soit C:\CrashDumps )
Relancer votre PC

Lors de chaque crash de DCS ou autre, un fichier Dumps sera créé et complet.
Attention la taille des logs est ou sera très importante...
Ne pas oublier de vider ce dossier en fonction des éventuels crashs de DCS car votre disque va fondre rapidement en place disponible.

Voilà de quoi avec de la lecture du crash complet

Attention la BDR est vraiment à manipulé avec précaution !

On 5/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, wowbagger said:

When it isn't crashing, the game should delete all the bin, txt, and ~ files upon exit. Any of those that are hanging around in the TEMP folder are there from a previous crash.

So I took a few minutes this morning to check the Event Viewer against the time stamps on the leftover BIN etc files in my TEMP/DCS folder. Roughly 1-2 minutes after those timestamps, there was a DCS error reported. So that would be after the 2nd mission start. But from my perspective in the sim, there were no issues. It just purred along.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

On 5/21/2021 at 9:56 AM, zonie said:

FYI, turning off 'full screen' in DCS fixed this for me.  I was having a 100% repeatable second mission crash which has now not happened again for 24 hours.  I'll update this post if it comes back.  Hope this helps.

Well 2 days later and I’ve had 1 crash on second mission load vs 100 % repeatable crash prior to disabling full screen.  FYI it definitely helped in my case 

If this wasn't happening to me, I probably wouldn't believe it.  However, I'm back to pretty frequent 2nd mission crashes after a few days of 90+ % working fine.  So it's a mystery.  It's not 100 percent repeatable but it's happening more and more frequently every day again.  So I have no idea if turning off full screen really made any difference.  

Hypothesis : the presence of the bug is decided somehow at load time but triggered (mostly) on 2nd mission load.  That would explain why sometimes people can play for hours (good dice roll when starting DCS) and sometimes they crash (bad roll).  

=> All the fixes and tests and checks, etc, should only be reported *after* a *significant* (10 ? 20 ?) number of DCS starts. i.e. If you are able to reload 10 missions in a row on 20 different DCS starts (yes that's 200 reloads 😬 )   then it's probably a good sign. 

If not, if your game relapses the following day, then your "fix" was just a lucky dice roll, sorry.  But be happy, you've enjoyed the game for a few hours. 😊

BTW, silly question maybe : does the bug happen in all languages ? I play in english (lang:en country:EN).

22 minutes ago, BuzzLine said:

Hypothesis : the presence of the bug is decided somehow at load time but triggered (mostly) on 2nd mission load.  That would explain why sometimes people can play for hours (good dice roll when starting DCS) and sometimes they crash (bad roll).  

=> All the fixes and tests and checks, etc, should only be reported *after* a *significant* (10 ? 20 ?) number of DCS starts. i.e. If you are able to reload 10 missions in a row on 20 different DCS starts (yes that's 200 reloads 😬 )   then it's probably a good sign. 

If not, if your game relapses the following day, then your "fix" was just a lucky dice roll, sorry.  But be happy, you've enjoyed the game for a few hours. 😊

BTW, silly question maybe : does the bug happen in all languages ? I play in english (lang:en country:EN).

Yes I am from France and I use a French version, same problem to reassure us

1 minute ago, RogSimu said:

Yes I am from France and I use a French version, same problem to reassure us

👍  Allez les bleus ! 🙂 🇫🇷

How about russian ? Anyone can confirm ? (since the devs apparently don't have the issue, maybe ... just maybe ... I know it's a stupidly long shot but it doesn't cost much to ask 😊