2.7.0.4625 Open Beta crash at second mission load

XPACT

Im testing it 👍

Update : No change here. Still crashing when Shift+R.

Edited by Flia
  • Thanks 1

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

41 minutes ago, Flia said:

Update : No change here. Still crashing when Shift+R.

Real sad.

To be honest, I can't tell how to crashes have disappered. Nothing changed on my rig except Nvidia drivers update efrom this week 466.47 and DCS updated to 2.7.1.

Started with a fresh DCS folder in saved games, I did copy nothing from renamed folder inside. I just import my saved HOTAS bindings for the modules I own.

Edited by Fra298

Hey everyone, I want to chime in too. I think the crash is related to respawning in certain aircrafts: prior to setting Win 8 Compatibility Mode (which solved all crashes for me), respawning after dying in an F14 (be it SP or MP) would result in a guaranteed crash. This never happened with other aircrafts, even without Win 8 Compatibility mode.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Interesting. Fra298 told me he has no more crashes since 2.7.1.6430. Here's what he did:

1. Updated to DCS 2.7.1.6430
  2. Renamed his "Saved Games\DCS..." folder (mind that if you do it, you need to manually copy your custom controls, your logbook...)

So far, his second mission loading crashes are gone.

No difference on my end

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, zork824 said:

Hey everyone, I want to chime in too. I think the crash is related to respawning in certain aircrafts...

In my case, it's any aircraft I own...

Haven't tested with those I don't, though...

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

4 hours ago, zork824 said:

Hey everyone, I want to chime in too. I think the crash is related to respawning in certain aircrafts: prior to setting Win 8 Compatibility Mode (which solved all crashes for me), respawning after dying in an F14 (be it SP or MP) would result in a guaranteed crash. This never happened with other aircrafts, even without Win 8 Compatibility mode.

Just do add my personal anecdote, this has been the same for me. The Windows 8 compatibility mode has fixed the 2nd load crashes in the Tomcat. I still get occasional crashes, but they are not consistent as they were before.

HOWEVER, I have noticed that compatibility mode makes game shutdown take longer and causes what seems to be input lag in menus. Annoying, but I'll take it over the crashes.

I hope ED is making some headway on an actual fix. The patchwork solutions are gratifying in the moment, but I think they may also instill complacency and allow permanent fixes to be pushed to the wayside. The underlying problems won't get solved if people quietly make due with bootstrap fixes. I can't think of another game where I've had to "clear my shaders and fxo" to keep it functioning. That seems like something we've had to do since 2.5 or before. 

Again, I love the game and appreciate the hard work that goes into it. Just hope we figure out the underlying issues.

Edited by jfnelson0127
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fra298 said:

Started with a fresh DCS folder in saved games, I did copy nothing from renamed folder inside. I just import my saved HOTAS bindings for the modules I own.

I've tried new Saved Games folder again but still got crash. I wonder if not copying anything back in is the key. Along with Inputs I usually add Options presets ( not Options LUA), Views, Payloads, and Missions back in.

Crashes is back-now can’t detect my audio and headset. Doing slow repair.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

31 minutes ago, cthulhu68 said:

I've tried new Saved Games folder again but still got crash. I wonder if not copying anything back in is the key. Along with Inputs I usually add Options presets ( not Options LUA), Views, Payloads, and Missions back in.

What I did i starting with a fresh folder. Copied nothing from the backup one. I remade my graphic setting and import previously exported Hotas bindings for modules I own.

Maybe you could try to do this. And again, I can't explain how crashes are gone.

1 hour ago, cthulhu68 said:

I've tried new Saved Games folder again but still got crash. I wonder if not copying anything back in is the key...

No, it's not. I've tried that multiple times. Or I suppose I should say, no, not in my case.

_____

[ 05.25.21 : EDIT ] I increased my page file to 32,678, re-booted, re-checked the page file setting in advance system properties and behold, no more crashes. Ran 6 SP Instant Action (IA) and 6 Multiplayer (MP) missions in a row, and not one crash. DCS  loads quicker also. Before that, it would crash the second time on every mission load. Worked for me, at least for now. System spec's are in my signature.

---

Read through the post, wow! So... here's my input for today anyway.

After 2 days of intermittent lockups and crashes running a mission, SP or MP here is what I did this morning. Did everything except a complete deletion and re-install to clean DCS up without having to download the whole thing again, at least for now.

This morning I ran DCS again, just to double check... it was still crashing late last night. I figured to just try to run it again.

1) again deleted "../user/<name>/Saved Games/DCS..."

2) run DCS then exit. DCS re-created the above directory

3) run DCS second time, loaded Instant Action(IA)->F/A-18C->Nevada->ready on the ramp (always my 'test' SP) and flew fine, no issues then exit.

4) Then MP->selected a server (one I fly a lot)->F/A=18C and hit FLY. The mission looked like it was done loading, after usual load time the screen was showing "mission load done" and then nothing, it just hung there. Task Manager showed no CPU time for DCS. Killed the process. After seeing what I observed below (13.), I should have waited a lot longer I believe. Too late now.

So I start over (I'll try to be brief but I'm a retired OCD sim engineer). Again, all I wanted to do was to make sure the DCS install was as clean and as close to re-install as close as possible. Of note, I mainly fly the Hornet and that's the only AC I tested.

My System Spec's: in my signature

Current DCS version: 2.7.1.6430 (latest beta as this morning)

Current Nvidia Driver version: 466.11

I also use a (R) in a line when I actually run a program, it's an old doc habit that makes it easier for me to see what I RAN program wise. I did also do the "pause" thing as mentioned when exiting any running DCS flights.

CLEANUP DCS

1. insure NO mods in the actual ../DCS World/ folders. Only thing I had in there really was a "default.cfg" for the Hornet joystick I made

2. re-named "../user/<your name>/Saved Games/DCS..." to "DCS_Backup"

3. (R) ran "DCS_Updater clean"

4. (R) ran "DCS_Updater repair", I had every box checked

5. (R) reset Nvidia 3D settings to factory default using the "Nvidia desktop control panel" (I thought... why hell not?)

6. once again deleted "../Saved Games/DCS" (I had already re-named it, see above. DON'T delete it until your back it up or re-name!)

7. checked and noticed the "../<your name>/App Data/Local/DCS" folder was still empty (I emptied it last night)

8. (R) run and exit DCS to re-create a new "../Saved Games/DCS..."

9. setup my controls/HOTAS for the F/A-18C by copying my config files (using OvGME) I also copied my HOTAS ..diff.lua files so all I had to was to just load them

RUN DCS

10. (R) run DCS. "Options->Controls". HOTAS=test good to go

11. Main Menu->Instant Action->F/A-18C->NTTR->Ready on the ramp, flew fine, exit mission (got 80fps-90!, that's a record for my rig)

12. Main Screen->Multiplayer(MP)

13. now when I went to the MP menu screen, I thought here we go again... while it was performing the usual sever listing update, the menu stopped updating and appeared to be locked up. To note, the default music was playing and mouse were working so I figured DCS was just busy. After about 5 minutes it's still hung, however this time around I took a break and left the room for a while. When I came back, it had finished updating the server list (no spinning arrow). Selected and joined the same mission I have had issues with and after a while finally put me in the cockpit. Flew and all good, exit to main menu

14. Main Menu->Instant Action-F/A->18C->Caucus->Free Flight. Flew and all good, exit to main menu

15. quit DCS

RE-RUN DCS

I then repeated steps 10 to 13 above. When I was once again at the MP Menu, it was taking a LONG time to update the server list. I did see the mission I wanted to fly, I selected it and waited some more. After some time it came up with FLY and I pressed it. Mission started to load and then the dreaded "DCS has crashed" box appeared. Damn... Must have something to do with finding over 7,000 servers at last check? Maybe try and let the server list completely finish updating like I did last time? Don't think it could be a mod, config or other issue at this point? Just don't know anymore. Wonder if that's an actual bug or something else?, not sure now.

Hope this info helps some on here, I thought it was fixed. I'll update later if when I get the time after more test. I'm really done with DCS for now... got things to do today.

Cheers, and good luck!

---

Edited by Noluck
Udated my status, it works now

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

1 minute ago, Wali763 said:

Short lived hopes with 2.7.1. Just had a second mission crash again. So Im back to Win8-comp-mode....

Sorry to hear that. It’d be nice to have at least one of us find his/her solution.

_____

Well at this point I am just going to wait for them to make a patch to fix this. Deleting folders , Recreating folders  and all that time and time again has become to much. If it were only a small group of people having this issue then I would say ok , but it seems like its a good number of people having this issue and it has been going on for a few weeks now. I had hoped that the latest update would have addressed this in some way but it did not. So hopfully they are looking at this and will have a patch to fix it soon.

• Like 3

My 2nd mission loading crashes are constant now. I had managed to fix them previously but since the latest update it is happening ALL the time now. That, combined with all the cloud issues for VR makes 2.7 the worst update I have ever seen for DCS for VR. 

Edited by Bog9y
  • Like 1

I did a slow repair and turned my HAGS back on. So far so good. I also got an Alienware win10 update too. I’ve been playing most of the day with only 2 crashes so it not quit unplayable

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

This is happening to me regularly as well. It was very spotty in the first two 2.7 iterations, but this third update has exacerbated the issue to the point it happens every single time.

Edited by Nealius

Is it just me or is anyone crashing more with the F-14? It seems like crashes are more likely if I switch to or from the F-14. If I just stay with the Hornet, it loads just fine.
At least it seems like it.
I also thought that, but then had it happen yesterday when I just used the F-18. I then quit, went back in and it worked happily

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

3 hours ago, m005106 said:

Is it just me or is anyone crashing more with the F-14? It seems like crashes are more likely if I switch to or from the F-14. If I just stay with the Hornet, it loads just fine.

At least it seems like it.

We still don't know if it's a different issue or not, becase I get these Tomcat crashes too, but it only happens to me with the Tomcat. A thread was opened here. Feel free to contrbute so Heatblur take a look.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

After a day or 2, 2nd mission crashes returned. And I am sorry but F/A-18C is not immune to this.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.