2.7.0.4625 Open Beta crash at second mission load

XPACT

7 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Since i don't have a FB account, i can't even vote.

For me it's: No - I don't experience such crashes (still have to see my first 2.7 crash).

Well, if i was an ED programmer, i would have a hard time searching for that bug since i still have to experience my first 2.7 crash. Also, before release the update goes out on closed beta. I wonder if it would make open beta if they all experienced those crashes.

Even so... it isn't an imagined problem as I can attest and there are numerous others with the identical issue. Not every bug is found in Beta test as you should be well aware of if you've been in sims for any length of time.

I'm in sims since the very beginning (C-64 era) so i have seen my share of problems along the way. But i also did a bit of programming and worked for years in the automotive industry and i can tell you that even 6 years after the start of a production line bugs still emerged. We sometimes searched for weeks to find what was causing it. So yeah, i know what i'm talking about.

That ED didn't put out a hotfix "so long" after release is just a little proof on how hard it can be to find and solve issues like this one.

And since you participate willingly in an open beta ( <-- people forget what that really means), who are you to "demand" a solution as quick as possible?  

If there was an easy fix, i'm sure ED would have released one already.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

10 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

I'm in sims since the very beginning (C-64 era) so i have seen my share of problems along the way. But i also did a bit of programming and worked for years in the automotive industry and i can tell you that even 6 years after the start of a production line bugs still emerged. We sometimes searched for weeks to find what was causing it. So yeah, i know what i'm talking about.

That ED didn't put out a hotfix "so long" after release is just a little proof on how hard it can be to find and solve issues like this one.

And since you participate willingly in an open beta ( <-- people forget what that really means), who are you to "demand" a solution as quick as possible?  

Sorry if I sounded accusatory. I read your post as possibly saying that the issue was a figment of our collected imagination. 

I completely agree that it is probably a vexing problem for the Devs to find the cause of it and I remain confident that they will eventually find the culprit. I am certainly not "demanding" an immediate fix.

3 hours ago, XPACT said:

You have to account that majority of people that don't have any issue won't search for nor vote in those polls. But it is for sure widespread occurrence and is confirmed for some time now not to be our systems but indeed something in the game code/possibly windows etc. There are people here that have machines with same hardware and software that was installed on the same day, yet one crashes and other doesn't.

Agreed, but even so, i expected something like maybe 50/50 or 60/30 in favor of not experiencing crashes. The current ratio is 90/40 in favor of those having crashes. But true, that is FB, and probably the fast majority of the user base won't even read the description unless it has a pretty picture attached 😕

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

39 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

Agreed, but even so, i expected something like maybe 50/50 or 60/30 in favor of not experiencing crashes. The current ratio is 90/40 in favor of those having crashes. But true, that is FB, and probably the fast majority of the user base won't even read the description unless it has a pretty picture attached 😕

That's some crazy public school math LOL. (j/k, I think the use of the word "ratio" saved you)

Edited by Smashy

5 hours ago, imacken said:

Doesn't look like any hot fix is going to happen today.  This is really spoiling DCS for me atm.  Let's hope ED fix it very soon.

Until they can reproduce it, there’s no hope of fixing it. And, so far, no one on their end has experienced it. I think it’s more realistic to think in terms of weeks or months rather days for a fix.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Could be a network thing

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 minute ago, XPACT said:

Gentlemen one of us will have to volunteer and send his PC to ED 😂

Funny. I had thought of that, too. Mine would never survive the shipping, though. I literally have rubber bands holding some of the HDs in place.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Totally agree.

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

11 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

It's bizarre that no one at ED has these crashes. There has to be a clue in there somewhere.

Even closed beta testers haven't experienced these crashes so far. I don't get it...

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

13 minutes ago, XPACT said:

Gentlemen one of us will have to volunteer and send his PC to ED 😂

Im "only" 2000km away from Moskow. Thats about one day of driving with a car. But because of Covid, a job, a family, customs....... you name it, I cant go. But I already thought about it. Maybe in July when Im totally desperate! 😉 

But that would be a reallly interesting thing.... Not sure, if ED want to get so close to custumers though....

2 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Even closed beta testers haven't experienced these crashes so far. I don't get it...

Cant you elevate somebody with some software-skills to be interim closed-beta-tester?

Edited by Wali763

17 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

It's bizarre that no one at ED has these crashes. There has to be a clue in there somewhere.

That’s exactly what I’ve asked myself. And, yes, that very fact has a meaning

I have had these crashes too...all the time. Then tonight I removed the OC on my 2080 Super GPU and was able to load 8 or 9 missions without crashing at all. I changed modules, maps, and used my own missions and instant action.   

Removing the OC seems to have fixed it for me. 

4 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Nor do I. 🙂  Maybe it’s a mass hallucination...or a community-wide very bad dream.

1 minute ago, Bog9y said:

...Removing the OC seems to have fixed it for me...

Give it a day or two...but I hope you’re right.

_____

3 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Nor do I. 🙂  Maybe it’s a mass hallucination...or a community-wide very bad dream.

Give it a day or two...but I hope you’re right.

Yeh, I know...don't want to jump the gun but I managed to swap between loads of modules, including the A10C II in Syria and no crash.  If the crashes come back I'll report back.

DCS Crash on 2nd Mission

DCS standalone open beta 2.7. My System: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT, 2x 1TB M.2 SSD cards.

May as well join the party.  I have been living through DCS crashed for the last 2 weeks and they do seem to start at '2nd mission crashes.'  Have discussed this on discord at ED and GR and followed through on many recommendations including remove all 3rd party mods, slow repair, clean-up and some of 'Flappie's' guidance in his May 2nd post on this thread. No avail. I have sent all my crash reports to DCS, there have been 12 of them in the last week. Crashes tended to continue after second mission and crashed at random points in mission.

I have looked over the logs though I am not sure what I'm looking for. All seem to have a load of warnings and errors regarding can't open files at 'bazar/shaders/enlight...' But this seems to have occurred before the first mission.  I also looked over the 'dxdiag.txt' file and there were 9 'windows error reports.' 3 were related to DCS.

May12 crash event after doing all the troubleshooting. First mission was instant action with F5E ready for take-off in Caucasus, flew around fired rockets and guns at ships had a successful landing. Second mission was instant action with SU33 land at carrier on Caucasus map. DCS crashed while loading.

May 12 second attempt. Loaded F5E instant action take off Caucasus mission, flew around then landed. Crashed as aircraft parachute did not open. Exited mission did the Flappie settings OK. Second mission was a repeat of first, DCS crashed as loading.

May 13 7am crash: Mission one F5E instant action take off caucasus, flew around and landed. Mission two F5E instant action take off caucasus, DCS crashed on loading mission. [This morning I increased the pagefile 8GB-16GB on C drive, activated D drive pagefile system managed 6GB, current allocation is 14GB. I have 32GM ram. Followed Flappie's advice below].

May 14 8am Success [Hopefully] Complete 6 simple instant actions missions. Pre-start: Deleted all fxo and metashader files. restarted pc. loaded dcs. Reduced Clouds to LOW. Was able to complete 6 missions. After each mission, completely ended mission and went to main menu. At main menu followed Flappie's advice below and opened options and clicked 'OK'. After 6th mission exited dcs. Missions: 4x F15C takeoff A.D. persian gulf. 1x F5E free flight caucasus. 1x F5E take off caucasus. Will do further testing later.

May14 1:45pm local Sad to say that on further tests DCS again crashed on loading 2nd mission.

May14 4:30pm local. It was suggested I disable Tacview which I did. I was able to run 5 short instant action missions in a row. Time will tell.

May15 9am. After disabling and uninstalling Tacview and restarting pc I successfully loaded 6 instant action missions in a row this morning. 2xF15, 4xA10, 2xF18. Hopefully this has resolved the issues on my pc. The version of Tacview I had was released pre DCS 2.7 open beta. A new update for Tacview is in beta testing so I will wait till that is released. Now I will continue some testing and increase my clouds which I had set to LOW quality. Then begin adding trusted aircraft mods (A4, MB339, A29A). Even did 2 flights in a public server.

May16 3pm. Sadly DCS crashing on loading 2nd mission has returned. Really frustrating.

As Crashes continue I will update this post.

Some of Flappie's suggestions that I have followed where possible: Flappie Suggestions

I will try to remember this advice from Flappie. [Does not appear to have helped]

Screenshot_2021-05-12 2 7 0 4625 Open Beta crash at second mission load.png

Edited by NightHawk1867

Canadian 🇨🇦🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧. DCS World Open Beta 2.7. 

Aircraft: Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst. F/A-18C Hornet, F-5E3 Tiger II. Flaming Cliffs: F-15C, Mig29, Su27, Su33, Su25, A10A. Community aircraft: A4 Skyhawk, T45 Goshawk, A29a Tucano, MB339, J39 Gripen, Hercules C-130. Assets and Maps: US Super Carrier, WWII Assets Pack. Maps: Caucasus, Channel, Mariana Islands, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria. Simulation computer system: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz, Sapphire Radeon RX 5700XT, 64GB memory, 2x 1TB M.2 SSD, 1TB SSD, 32" Samsung monitor. 🍁 [updated Jan07 2022]

I do want to chime in for the first time regarding this issue. I do see this second mission load crash, which I saw for the first time immediately after the 2.7 release. And it never happened before this version was released. I have no overclocks on my GPU, but have an xmp profile on my ram. PBO is enabled on my Ryzen. But no manual overclocks.

Edit - all mods disabled after the update. And a repair done. The crash always happens during mission load on the 2nd mission (and happens sometimes but not always)

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

@Ironhand@makoschThe best way to help is finding a way to reproduce the crash on any PC with DCS 2.7. I tried hard from my end, but so far I can't.

Here's an idea: try to create a new Windows account, log in, launch DCS (it will ask for your credentials) and try the second mission loading crash. Do you reproduce the crash?

Hi.

Created a new account 20 mins ago. First thing, I started TrackIR then DCS. Did not set anything, also no controls. Did a Hornetfreeflight and a F-14 refuel-mission from IA-missions with a reload. All good. Closed DCS and restarted. Did Syira-Hornet-Freeflight with two reloads and it was ok.

Then change my settings to my standard settings, first mission-reload frooze at "Mission Load Done" I saw the checkbox to send report, but that went away with DCS.

No sure, if the change of standard setting caused it (likly not) but I will try again tomorrow with a new account.

Here are all the files in my Savegamefolder:

dcs.log dcs.log.old dcs.log-20210512-202833.zip debrief.log

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Can you share what the requirements are for close beta testers? Eg. no mods, hardware minimums etc?

I understand if you aren't unable to.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Thanks for your investigation, @Wali763.

I still have this feeling that DCS is having issues with files it generates by itself. Your test seems to indicate this is clearly the case: no issues for a good amount of time, and then hell happens. If you're up with it, it would be great if you could monitor a brand new user's files as DCS keeps generating its own files.

I've found this free software which seems legit, FoldeChangesView (I've been using one of their software for work, USBLogView, and had no issue with it).

You tell FolderChangesView where to look, and it lists everything that's being written. Of course, it's better if you close down other apps (Firefox, Discord, etc.).

I propose we do the same thing:

1. Create a brand new Windows user.
  2. Launch FolderChangesView to monitor "C:\Users\your_brand_new_username\".
  3. Launch DCS, load the Caucasus Su-25T instant action called "Free Flight at Mineralnye Vody".
  4. Fly for one minute.
  5. Hit Escape, then "Fly", over and over until you get the crash.

We'll see if we get the same amount of DCS generated files.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.