2.7.0.4625 Open Beta crash at second mission load

XPACT

I can recommend delete FXO folder every time after you finish flight. Thats help a lot.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Latest crash logs. Updated GForce drivers this AM. This is two days after deleting the TEMP folder and XFO folder. After deleting those folders I seem to go 2 days before the next crash. That's been fairly consistent regardless of how much I use the sim.

dcs.log-20210503-135531.zip

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, Conroy said:

This is interesting....

CTD come back after mission's editing via Mission Builder, flying the mission directly from ME.

The same thing happend for me, just now.

THB, I haven't played DCS smoothly those days due to undetectable crashes.

------------------------My current situation still no change------------------------

First run DCS, the second mission loading, CTD

Run DCS again following the first run crash, the second mission loading, OK.

Edited by Sonoda Umi

Thanks @Flappie for collecting all these troubleshooting steps.  FWIW, I tried all relevant ones and no luck.  I still get the frequent second-mission-load crash.  Sometimes even the first mission load crashes.

In summary:

Empty fxo, metashaders and DCS temp folders (done)

Remove ReShade from DCS (n/a)

Installing the latest Nvidia driver 466.27 (n/a, AMD GPU here)

Reduce preload setting to 100000 (done)

Set V-sync to "application controlled" in NVIDIA options (n/a)

(more radical) Reset all NVIDIA settings (n/a)

Remove mods and run a DCS repair (done, ran the full repair)

Update Windows 10 to the very latest version, including optional updates (done, digging the new dark mode Start menu)

Manually setting pagefile size (done, set to min 16GB, max 32GB.  No effect, reset to default)

I'm confident you guys can find and resolve this crash.  Thanks for the continued support and hard work to get this resolved!

Edited by Smashy
  • Like 1

So thank you @Flappie for the summary. I did some of the mentioned things at once. Here are some of the things I did:
(I am borrowing your text @Smashy😄)

Empty fxo, metashaders and DCS temp folders (done)

Remove ReShade from DCS (done, clean and repair)

Installing the latest Nvidia driver 466.27 (done) this driver seems to work. Had GPU utilization problems with the 466.11 driver. I was previously on 465.89

Set V-sync to "application controlled" in NVIDIA options (done) - This seems to do the trick for me. Tried to turn it back on to my "Fast" setting (I do not like tearing) and I started crashing again. And also V-Sync turned off in game. 

Update Windows 10 to the very latest version, including optional updates (done)

Remove mods and run a DCS repair (did not do it since I do not have any mods installed)

(more radical) Reset all NVIDIA settings (did not do it)

Reduce preload setting to 100000 (did not do it) - Have it already at 85 100

Manually setting pagefile size (did not change from the default value)

And of course I restarted my PC 😄 Played now for 6-8 hours without a crash. If I get them again I'll report here. If anybody needs screenshots of my settings then hit me up. 

Edited by Arikaj
  • Thanks 2

I was getting crashes on every second mission load as well since the 2.7 update.  Today I tried deleting both the fxo and metashader 2

folders and so far so good.  No more crashes after my fourth mission load.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

24 minutes ago, N0430BM said:

Today I tried deleting both the fxo and metashader 2

folders and so far so good.  No more crashes after my fourth mission load.

My experience has been that the FXO deletion works until the 2nd or, sometimes, 3rd day regardless of how many missions you run.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I did all of those things mentioned above.

Del Temp-folder, clean FXO and metashader2-folder, did a repair and install the optional Windowsupdate, reduced the loadradius to 99000 and even just renamed the Savegame-folder so a new one got created. Since I have a Radeon-GPU I did not do any of the NV-related stuff. But I have the most recent Radeon-drivers installed.

First start of DCS: did not get a second-mission-load-crash. Got it right at the first load! Sarcastically I could say, so it partly did work. Had this first-Mission-crash three times in the last week, when tweaking for a solution for the second-mission-load-crashes. that I still get quite often. Crashreport No 577 (or so) was sent.

10 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

My experience has been that the FXO deletion works until the 2nd or, sometimes, 3rd day regardless of how many missions you run.

Roger that.  Made it up to six missions without crash.  We will see what happens over the next few days as I load more missions.  Maybe it's just that we will need to delete the fxo and metashaders everyday or so.  I have no idea why this is needed, but is seems that it is...maybe ED can look at automatically deleting these folders upon each exit of DCS.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

8 minutes ago, N0430BM said:

..,Maybe it's just that we will need to delete the fxo and metashaders everyday or so...

That’s been my strategy for better living. Start each day fresh. I haven’t bothered with the metashaders folder, though. It seems to get emptied, when I quit DCS.

_____

My massive SSD I joked would never be filled is now within 200 gigs of being full. The "other" sim I stopped flying because of the insane loading times. DCS was and still is my quickie mission blow some stuff up go to sim.

Not sure which is worse. 3 minutes load times, a for sure CTD after every mission  or a out of the blue anytime CTD.

Guess what we need is "clear FXO folder at mission end/quit to desktop" checkbox in options 😄 Just to keep frustration at the minimum until proper solution is found.

Edited by XPACT

9 hours ago, XPACT said:

Guess what we need is "clear FXO folder at mission end/quit to desktop" checkbox in options...

I just do it myself with a simple batch file. (Yes, I'm carbon dating myself.) I've attached one that deletes the FXO folder and the DCS folder located in the TEMP folder. After unzipping, right click on it and select "Edit". You'll need to change it to reflect your installation's particulars. Save your changes. To use it, just double-click it. It'll delete the folders. But keep in mind that a batch file is like a gun. Once you pull the trigger, there's no way to call the bullet back.

Obviously, don't use it, if you aren't sure of where you're pointing it. 

EDIT: Actually, I set this up to run without asking me for verification. But, if you're nervous about it, remove the "/Q" in each line. It'll then ask for confirmation about what you want to delete each time.

Delete Two Folders.zip

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

_____

3 ore fa, Ironhand ha scritto:

I just do it myself with a simple batch file. (Yes, I'm carbon dating myself.) I've attached one that deletes the FXO folder and the DCS folder located in the TEMP folder. After unzipping, right click on it and select "Edit". You'll need to change it to reflect your installation's particulars. Save your changes. To use it, just double-click it. It'll delete the folders. But keep in mind that a batch file is like a gun. Once you pull the trigger, there's no way to call the bullet back.

Obviously, don't use it, if you aren't sure of where you're pointing it. Or experiment with it first by pointing it at something innocuous like a text file you don't want.

Delete Two Folders.zip 235 B · 4 download

Thank, actually this batch could help a lot.

Finally!!!!!!

After installing Windows 10 20H2 KB5001391 Cumulative Update Preview (april 2021), crash problems after the 2nd launch of the mission magically disappeared....

Unbelievable but true!!! I've been playing for two days and since haven't had a single crash problem 😀

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, zampe said:

Finally!!!!!!

After installing Windows 10 20H2 KB5001391 Cumulative Update Preview (april 2021), crash problems after the 2nd launch of the mission magically disappeared....

Unbelievable but true!!! I've been playing for two days and since haven't had a single crash problem 😀

Worked for me as well! No crashing so far after intense testing.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

I can confirm that installing KB5001391 helps. I had same annoying problem when I made my own mission I could fly it once and crashed the second time. If I went always back to main menu after flying and opened the same mission and then flew it, it worked ok.

I installed today the KB patch for MSFS2020 and surprise, surprise all the dcs crashes totally stopped.

I was having consistent second-mission-load crashes today.  I saw maybe 6-8 of them.  I saw the latest posts here and installed Windows 10 20H2 KB5001391 and did about 4-5 mission reloads with no crashes.  I'm cautiously optimistic that this update has done something to help.  If the crashes return, I'll update here.