VR Mask in 2.7

Mover

Having the ability to toggle the mask on and off would definitely be a handy feature. There are times (like on a crowded carrier deck or in a busy server) when those extra frames would be very welcome, but I've pretty much decided that I can't record for youtube (at an acceptable resolution and FOV) with the additional cropping I have to do for the new mask. Does the HMDMask.fx workaround break integrity Check?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

if you are on open beta it should work, if not remove all unofficial mods and do a cleanup and repair or verify if steam 

thanks

That would be amazing buddy, thanks a lot if this gonna be implemented.

MrMaverick

Pilot in the RAZBAM Harrier DIsplay Team

Mavericks Youtube: My Youtube Channel

Discord: https://discord.gg/MRU8m5m

50 minutes ago, ECV56_Luberenko said:

@BIGNEWYI've made the cleanup and repair procedure. Now I see the mask but only when starting the game without steam vr. When I start it through steam vr (as I want to), there is no any mask.

Hey @BIGNEWY

I can verify I did a completely new install of the common folder/new saved games folder, and when running Quest 2 via Virtual desktop and used the "Launch in Steam VR mode" - no mask.

When running Quest 2 via link cable and "Launch in Oculus VR Mode"- mask

Cheers, hope we can fix this one quick. 

F-14 / F/A-18 /FC3 / Huey / PG 

Steam Version - i7-10700, 2060 Super, 32 GB 3200 mhz RAM, Quest 2 (Virtual Desktop), Reverb G2

An adjustable option as opposed to just a simple toggle might be nice. I tried playing with the lines below in \Bazar\shaders\HMDMask.fx:

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
    return float4(pos, 0.95, 0.95);
}

I experimented with values between 0.90 and 1.00 to 2 decimal places. At 0.96 it was significantly less noticeable. 0.95 was the biggest I could set that would totally eliminate my issues with the VR mask creeping into my field of view. Some streamers might be happy with settings somewhere between 0.90 and 0.95. I did not experiment with adjusting each value independently.

Edited by 200rabbits
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:26 PM, Japo32 said:

Great! I removed the mask!! :)))

You have to edit the HMDMask.fx  that is in the bazar/shader folder and modify the line:

{
    return float4(pos, 1, 1);
}

to

{
    return float4(pos, 0.1, 0.1);
}

and save.

it seems to pass IC (has to make more testings here)

Sorry for being this bad with technology, but I for the life of me cannot find the bazar/shader folder or an HMDMask.fx file anywhere. Where is this file located?

13 minutes ago, andremsmv said:

Sorry for being this bad with technology, but I for the life of me cannot find the bazar/shader folder or an HMDMask.fx file anywhere. Where is this file located?

Go to the folder where DCS is installed. Within that you'll find Bazar\shaders (note shaders not shader)

Just to add my name to the hat, I've reported seperately as didn't see it reported here but I also don't get the VR mask in flight - Reverb G2 via SteamVR

I've done a full repair with the search for extra files and their removal. I've verified that I have HMDMask.fx and that it's content is identical to a G2 user who sees the VR Mask.

I'd guess that this is the case for more users, but it's not being reported because it's not listed as a new feature.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

4 hours ago, ShaunX said:

Go to the folder where DCS is installed. Within that you'll find Bazar\shaders (note shaders not shader)

Just to add my name to the hat, I've reported seperately as didn't see it reported here but I also don't get the VR mask in flight - Reverb G2 via SteamVR

I've done a full repair with the search for extra files and their removal. I've verified that I have HMDMask.fx and that it's content is identical to a G2 user who sees the VR Mask.

I'd guess that this is the case for more users, but it's not being reported because it's not listed as a new feature.

I still cannot find a folder named "Bazar/shaders" anywhere on my computer. I haven't even been able to find a .fx file anywhere on my computer either.

image.pngThis is what my  DCS folder looks like. Is it different for you?

1 hour ago, andremsmv said:

I still cannot find a folder named "Bazar/shaders" anywhere on my computer. I haven't even been able to find a .fx file anywhere on my computer either.

image.pngThis is what my  DCS folder looks like. Is it different for you?

It's in your DCS install folder, not your DCS Saved Games folder

• Like 1

Hi all.. I'm interested in this topic.. is this new vr mask feature with 2.7 basically ED putting the popular vr shader mod (which boosts performance by not rendering the areas outside the fov of our hmd's lenses) into this latest build of dcs by default, which explains why many are getting better performance with 2.7 over the previous version?  I never tried the mod but I understand the mod also allowed you to customize the rendered area to your specific brand and model of hmd and its lenses' specific fov.. is the exact amount of  rendering and non rendered areas customizable with 2.7? (I want to maximize performance and am not streaming and don't mind having a vr mask so long as I can't see it in my hmd (I have the pimax 8kx and the vr mask is showing on the mirror on my monitor but can't see it in vr but wondered if there is room for cutting back more on the edges somehow to render even less or is 2.7 somehow detecting what make and model of hmd you have and already has created the vr mask based on the known fov of your specific hmd's lenses? Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 9:31 PM, theself said:

Hi all.. I'm interested in this topic.. is this new vr mask feature with 2.7 basically ED putting the popular vr shader mod (which boosts performance by not rendering the areas outside the fov of our hmd's lenses) into this latest build of dcs by default, which explains why many are getting better performance with 2.7 over the previous version?  I never tried the mod but I understand the mod also allowed you to customize the rendered area to your specific brand and model of hmd and its lenses' specific fov.. is the exact amount of  rendering and non rendered areas customizable with 2.7? (I want to maximize performance and am not streaming and don't mind having a vr mask so long as I can't see it in my hmd (I have the pimax 8kx and the vr mask is showing on the mirror on my monitor but can't see it in vr but wondered if there is room for cutting back more on the edges somehow to render even less or is 2.7 somehow detecting what make and model of hmd you have and already has created the vr mask based on the known fov of your specific hmd's lenses? Thanks!

You could probably edit the file I mentioned above and experiment with numbers >1, e.g. 1.1, 1.01, 1.05, 1.25 and see what you can adjust and how far you can take them. Would be really interesting to see your results.

Presumably they do either detect your HMD, or the mask is designed to work for most HMDs based on the display resolution or aspect ratio, but I've seen a lot of people posting talking about different results with the same headset, so I wonder if your individual eyes play a role, and/or the shape/size of your head and how close to the screen your eyes end up. I know some people modify G2s to get the screen to sit closer to their face to get a bigger FOV, but I feel like mine already sits as close as I would ever want it.

Edited by 200rabbits

So I played with the settings from 0.5 up to 2.0 and there is no impact on the FPS. Attached a picture of the 1.5 setting.
But I was a little bit surprised that I am able to see objects outside of the mask. I thought the mask should prevent the game of rendering things outside of the view. 

691FA1C8-3E95-40F9-A283-8975C618E97D.jpeg

• Like 1
12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

• 3 weeks later...

@Japo32 thanks so much for share your solution, i thought i was broke my Oculus when i see blue borders all the time, my eyees. I set the values for the mask to 0.80 and it disappear completely, otherwise i cant play. Thanks again.

imagen.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zukov said:

@Japo32 thanks so much for share your solution, i thought i was broke my Oculus when i see blue borders all the time, my eyees. I set the values for the mask to 0.80 and it disappear completely, otherwise i cant play. Thanks again.

imagen.png

if you turn MSAA to 2X the blue tint turns to black. so much better

zprwsp-6.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 6:11 AM, Convexrook said:

if you turn MSAA to 2X the blue tint turns to black. so much better

Works fine, but enlarging the mask while keeping MSAA off seems to give you better framerate.
Getting the mask size configurable in game would be great (for now editing the shader does the trick).

On 6/5/2021 at 7:43 AM, AndrewCZ said:

Works fine, but enlarging the mask while keeping MSAA off seems to give you better framerate.
Getting the mask size configurable in game would be great (for now editing the shader does the trick).

if you have a WMR (Reverb G2) you can now control the mast via the WMR for SteamVR settings: "Apply Hidden area stencil..." now you don't worry about the MSAA being on or off 

• Like 1

zprwsp-6.png

16 hours ago, Convexrook said:

if you have a WMR (Reverb G2) you can now control the mast via the WMR for SteamVR settings: "Apply Hidden area stencil..." now you don't worry about the MSAA being on or off 

For me, worked fine with the stock facial interface even with this option off. With the VR Cover one, I was getting artifacts on the bottom of my vision regardless of the setting (but a much better sweet spot as well, so going back to stock wouldn't be an option). There are no problems in other VR titles with that option applied, it's just the mask in DCS being a bit smaller than what the driver itself filters out it seems. Now if it was black even at MSAA off, wouldn't be a problem either, but it isn't.

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 8:13 PM, Convexrook said:

Can't find that option

Can you help me?

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

On 8/10/2021 at 7:12 PM, Convexrook said:

PIN TO TASKBAR AFTER OPENING

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

or wherever you install steam

image.png

I don't have that option availableCaptura.PNG

edit: nvm i realize it's on WMR beta

edit2: Didn't work for me. Change HMDMask to 0.95 work for my reverb g2

Edited by despinoza
solved

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 1:43 PM, AndrewCZ said:

How can I disable it without turning off MSAA?