Kamov Ka-27

Xilon_x

+1 I'd go for a Ka-27PL, but without implementation of ASW weapons and sensors there wouldn't be a lot of practical purpose to it, and it would be great if we got expanded aircraft operations on ships besides the supercarrier.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

What Northstar said.

The Ka-27PL is by far the most interesting variant - it is basically for the Russian navy, what the Mi-24 is for the land forces.

But its a highly complex helicopter stuffed with ASW sensory and armament, which would make it quite an undertaking to develop and given the current state of DCS naval warfare in general and the sub-surface aspect in particular, it would not make any sense at this point. 

So you would have to go either with the Ka-27PS SAR variant or, as Bravelink03 suggested, the more "niche" Ka-29 CAS modification. The former has its merits, but is arguably a little too limited in application(no combat role) to justify the development effort, while the question is what the latter actually offers, that isn't covered by the current Ka-50, Mi-8 and upcoming Mi-24P.

Edited by Seaeagle
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Seaeagle said:

What Northstar said.

The Ka-27PL is by far the most interesting variant - it is basically for the Russian navy, what the Mi-24 is for the land forces.

But its a highly complex helicopter stuffed with ASW sensory and armament, which would make it quite an undertaking to develop and given the current state of DCS naval warfare in general and the sub-surface aspect in particular, it would not make any sense at this point. 

So you would have to go either with the Ka-27PS SAR variant or, as Bravelink03 suggested, the more "niche" Ka-29 CAS modification. The former has its merits, but is arguably a little too limited in application(no combat role) to justify the development effort, while the question is what the latter actually offers, that isn't covered by the current Ka-50, Mi-8 and upcoming Mi-24P.

Well, it combines some of the interesting features of the Ka-50 with the weapons of the Hind, I.E a semi rigid 30mm with some traverse but mostly S-8s , gunpods, and Sturms

2 hours ago, Seaeagle said:

What Northstar said.

Plus ASW in general is pretty heavily classified, the only thing we could do is approximate - but this requires a massive overhaul of at least the subsurface aspect (though to that point there are several torpedo schemes present in the 2.7 update under Scripts -> Database -> Weapons -> schemes -> torpedoes but no idea if this is for ASW/ASuW active/passive guidance or whatever (if anything)).

As far as active SONAR goes we're good on how the physics works but you'll be hard pressed to find anything about the pulses themselves so they'd have to be made up.

There is an actual underwater in DCS that was added in 2.5.6 (before it was transparent when viewed from above but it was totally blank aside from the sea floor if you managed to clip the camera through the surface, now it's something closer to what a submarine simulator has, albeit crude). One thing that worries me however, is that the Hornet was planned to get the Mk40 Destructor and Mk63 Quickstrike naval mines (both are bottom, influence mines, the former being a retarded Mk83 conversion), but they've largely been forgotten about, despite the Mk40 being added to the modelviewer when the new GBUs and AIM-120s got added (among others).

But yes I agree, a dedicated ASW platform (I don't think the Ka-27PL can do much else, certainly as far as direct combat goes) doesn't make much sense IMO at the moment.

Plus it would be good to have supercarrier like functionality when it comes to other surface combatants, but I don't see that happening soon either.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.