Night Time Graphics Problem

Wolfman289

I'm having a graphics issue during night time missions. The sky and clouds look messed up. The sky is blotchy and pixilated around bright colors(like the HUD) and where the colors change in the sky. It just isn't clear at all and looks awful. I'll attach some pictures to show what I mean. My graphics card drivers are up to date and I've tried messing around with settings and I'm stumped. 

I'm using Open Beta.

My computer is an i7 9700F, Nvidia 2060, 32 gigs RAM, 240 gig SSD, and Windows 10. I used to have a Nvidia 1660 and it still had the same graphics issue.

night pic2.JPGnight pic.JPG

Edited by Wolfman289

Me too, well longer to be fair, ever since I’ve had my monitor. 
Is yours an LED/TN panel or IPS? 
Mines the Asus ROG PG278-QR and it’s an LED/TN panel monitor. I’ve got a feeling it’s something to do with that and if I were to try an IPS panel monitor I don’t think I’d have the issue. I think anyway....

I can only fly up to early evening light, anything darker it’s a shambles and I’m sure it’s the monitor and not a DCS issue.

Edited by 30mikemike

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

My monitor is also a LED/TN. I am not so sure that it is an issue with the monitor because I have the same issue when I hook up my old monitor still. This issue originally started while I was still using my old monitor. I also do not have any issues like this with any other games, so I think this would just be a DCS issue? Why do you think this would be an issue with LED/TN monitors?

I have the same issue when it gets dark it looks awful.

Edited by Wolfman289

I think a while ago I was doing a bit of research and ended up reading something about TN panels and dark image issues. So ever since then I’ve always thought it was the monitor. Maybe it isn’t after all. Unfortunately I don’t have any other games on my PC apart from DCS so I can’t compare. It may well be a DCS issue. 

If there’s anyone reading this who has a IPS panel monitor like an Acer Predator then it’d be interesting to hear what it’s like on theirs. 

I’ve tried every single setting on mine but no joy. Like you say, when it’s dark it looks horrid.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

2 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Goto Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\Effects\enlight and remove milkywayCube.dds file and see if it helps a bit.

Aaah ok, will definitely give it a try. Thanks for that, I’ll report back....

Didn’t seem to make any difference unfortunately mate. Just tested in the Viper set to 11pm and the whole environment just looks weird and blotchy. More so when you get airborne. I also tried turning the canopy reflections off but that didn’t do anything.

it’s a strange issue for sure.

Mustang, I have deleted that file as well a long time ago and it did not help. 

silverdevil, you cannot see anything wrong in the picture? I'm on a different computer right now and the screen shots like good, except for being really dark as well. The issue we are experiencing is that the light does not transition smoothly in the sky when it is dark. The sky around the moon, etc has lines of lighter color of sky instead of being a smooth transition if that makes sense. I'll see if I can get some better screen shots posted today.

I would think it's a DCS issue since other games do not have this problem when it is dark.

I think what we’re experiencing is something called colour banding. Google it and see if it looks like what you’re getting. Certainly in my case it looks extremely similar...

1 hour ago, Wolfman289 said:

I looked into color banding and I think that’s my issue as well. I even found a DCS thread where others were having the same issue and were saying it’s a dcs problem.

If it’s colour banding then it’s definitely not a DCS issue. It’ll be the monitor. From what I’ve read anyway....

Do you have an Ipad?

Look at your own screenshots on a different device (eg Ipad).

If it looks different, it is your monitor (likely).

I cant see anything strange on your screenshots.... (honestly - they are pitch black)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I've read a bunch of stuff and found that my monitor apparently has this issue. It's odd that I only see it while playing DCS though. I used a different computer and looked at the screenshots I posted and do not see the issue. 

Anyone know what to do? I bought this monitor last year so it really sucks if I have to buy a different monitor.

Edited by Wolfman289

46 minutes ago, Wolfman289 said:

I've read a bunch of stuff and found that my monitor apparently has this issue. It's odd that I only see it while playing DCS though. I used a different computer and looked at the screenshots I posted and do not see the issue. 

Anyone know what to do? I bought this monitor last year so it really sucks if I have to buy a different monitor.

I've got a feeling an IPS panel would fix it, from what I've read anyway. I haven't tried it on 2.7 yet but I can't imagine it'll be any different.

Somebody on here must have an IPS monitor to be able to confirm if the night environment is ok?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:07 AM, 30mikemike said:

I've got a feeling an IPS panel would fix it, from what I've read anyway. I haven't tried it on 2.7 yet but I can't imagine it'll be any different.

Somebody on here must have an IPS monitor to be able to confirm if the night environment is ok?

I got a IPS monitor and everything now looks great! Looks like it was the TN monitor.

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Wolfman289 said:

I got a IPS monitor and everything now looks great! Looks like it was the TN monitor.

Thanks!

Ah really? That’s great news! Looks like I’ll be trading mine in for one soon too. 
pleased its sorted the problem..👍

My goodness, I've been searching for this thread for an hour now! Glad I found it.

Yesterday I flew a night mission. And low and behold, guess what happened. Yes, the monitor dimmed down so much the only things visible were the lightning storm and the green HUD. Everything else pitch black.

I tried everything, multiple screen resolutions, deactivated all brightness management and screen savers an so forth. Then it hit me. My monitor has an option within it's own menu called X-Contrast. Whatever that's supposed to mean. I turned it off and BOOM, no more dimming down. What a relief. I hope it helps!