Presets for airports with multiple parallel runways

Machalot

Some of the navigation functions in the Viggen are based on the lat/lon of the selected runway.  For example, when the aircraft lifts off, it initializes the navigation position to the known lat/lon of the runway you took off from based on the heading.  You can check the runway heading used by the nav computer using BANA/GRANS mode.  But how do you know if it's using 31L or 31R to initialize the position?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

4 hours ago, Machalot said:

How do you know if it's using 31L or 31R to initialize the position?

The only way I know of would be to check the coordinates of "LS" with "REF LOLA". Otherwise "TERNAV" and some DCS magic will have your back, and make sure that you end up where you want to. 😉

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

6 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

The only way I know of would be to check the coordinates of "LS" with "REF LOLA". Otherwise "TERNAV" and some DCS magic will have your back, and make sure that you end up where you want to. 😉

In the specific example of 31L and 31R, I'm referring to Al Dhafra, which is surrounded by pretty flat terrain.  Do you know of some DCS magic going on here? 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

I did a quick test mission where I spawn at Al Dhafra, RWY 31R.
However, instead of using the airfield ID code that should be used for Al Dhafra (9004), I punched in 9011 (Lar that is 400km away). I also turned off TERNAV for a worst case scenario.
As you can see, it really doesn't matter what you have as LS. Only thing is that you will get the "NAV SYS" error.

Screen_210410_193915.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

I did a quick test mission where I spawn at Al Dhafra, RWY 31R.
However, instead of using the airfield ID code that should be used for Al Dhafra (9004), I punched in 9011 (Lar that is 400km away). I also turned off TERNAV for a worst case scenario.
As you can see, it really doesn't matter what you have as LS. Only thing is that you will get the "NAV SYS" error.

Screen_210410_193915.png

I really appreciate the effort you have put into this answer. However, I'm viewing it on a smart phone, so I don't know what I should be observing in the video. Can you explain? 

Well nothing really. There is nothing strange going on. It doesn't matter what airbase/runway you have in set as LS. The nav system is dead accurate whatever you set it to, even with TERNAV off, as in the video.
I have a few waypoints set in the video, and have no trouble getting there accurately. There is 0 drift or whatever you might call it.

Edited by MYSE1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So basically this note in the manual (p. 251) regarding "changing the take-ff airfield" has no effect?

image.png

And this one on p. 263?

image.png

Edited by Machalot

14 minutes ago, Machalot said:

So basically this note in the manual (p. 251) regarding "changing the take-ff airfield" has no effect?

image.png

And this one on p. 263?

image.png

Indeed, so it would seem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Machalot said:

By the way, I think the NAV SYST indication you got was from this:

Yep. Most likely.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]