Will you be able to go from 2.5.6 to 2.7 ?

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

Yes.

But a better answer is probably the question: what are you worrying about as a potential blocker from being able to upgrade?

• Like 5

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

To me the question is: will all missions created to run under 2.5x run unmodified and flawless in 2.7, or will there be required changes? Possible bones of contention are

- weather (more specific: clouds)

- server options

Since I'm sitting on a mountain (ok, molehill) of self-created missions that I regularly play with a group of friends, this is going to be an important point: do I need to set aside some time to run through all my missions and regression test them? OK, the answer to that is 'Yes', but the more important question is: supposing I'm only using the standard Mission-Editop provided tools, how much migration effort is required per mission, and is upgrading a mission to 2.7 an automated process?

-ch

• Like 1

No, I'm not smart enough to be asking any of those responses. I was thinking 2.5.6 is release and 2.7 is beta? Just wanted to know if you can go from release to beta.

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

15 minutes ago, dbunger said:

No, I'm not smart enough to be asking any of those responses. I was thinking 2.5.6 is release and 2.7 is beta? Just wanted to know if you can go from release to beta.

Yes, basically. You can have both at the same time (if you have enough disk space), or you can switch between release and open beta. Two ways to do it: command prompt or this handy piece of software.

Using release or OB is not a choice, you don't have to be on one side or the other. If OB is not buggy and provides updates that you don't want to wait for (like, hmm, I don't know... clouds? 🤣), you can use it, if a new OB-update introduces game-breaking bugs you can revert to release... No reason to be anxious about it. 😉

@cfrag: that's an excellent point. I think the only problem is going to be the new cloud preset system, probably any mission created before 2.7 will get the same preset like "clear sky" and if you wish to have something else, you might have to make a manual edit. But this deserves official clarification, for certain ; so many user-made missions out there...

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

4 hours ago, cfrag said:

To me the question is: will all missions created to run under 2.5x run unmodified and flawless in 2.7, or will there be required changes? Possible bones of contention are

- server options

Since nothing has been said about it, it's pretty safe to say that all old mission weather will revert to just showing whatever the default is in 2.7 (it's usually clear skies).

I haven't heard of any new server options being introduced.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

On 4/10/2021 at 6:10 AM, cfrag said:

- server options

Since I'm sitting on a mountain (ok, molehill) of self-created missions that I regularly play with a group of friends, this is going to be an important point: do I need to set aside some time to run through all my missions and regression test them? OK, the answer to that is 'Yes', but the more important question is: supposing I'm only using the standard Mission-Editop provided tools, how much migration effort is required per mission, and is upgrading a mission to 2.7 an automated process?

-ch

I wouldn't worry about that, how bad could it possibly be? The worst you'll have to do is re-create your custom missions from scratch 🙂

It's still DCS World, and if 2.7 can't cope with existing missions, then how will it deal with the massive amount of work that ED (and others!) have put into existing modules?

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

1 hour ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

I wouldn't worry about that, how bad could it possibly be?

Depends on how much weather is a factor in the mission, obviously. Still, that particular phrase surely scores quite high in the “famous last words” list. 😄

1 hour ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

The worst you'll have to do is re-create your custom missions from scratch 🙂

That's… pretty darn bad. So yeah.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tippis said:

Depends on how much weather is a factor in the mission, obviously. Still, that particular phrase surely scores quite high in the “famous last words” list. 😄

That's… pretty darn bad. So yeah.

What I meant to say (sorry for being a bit of a smartass) is that it's still DCS and you're probably not going to have any problems at all.

I have a nagging suspicion that 2.7 isn't going to be much different aside from the way the clouds look, some wind/weather effects, and hopefully graphics glitch/flickering fixes. It's still the exact same game so all your missions should work exactly the same way. I wouldn't be concerned.

Frankly, after the noise of the hype train has died down a bit, I wonder if they'll actually release 2.7 any time in the next few months.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

26 minutes ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

I have a nagging suspicion that 2.7 isn't going to be much different aside from the way the clouds look, some wind/weather effects, and hopefully graphics glitch/flickering fixes. It's still the exact same game so all your missions should work exactly the same way. I wouldn't be concerned.

I would be, in part based on previous experiences (night lighting, new trees), but mostly because of what they've actually described so far.

This first version is preset-based, and they haven't described any parameters that can be set. This immediately breaks all weather in every mission ever other than maybe those that only use the default no-weather-set clear skies.

It has been described (and shown) as having multiple cloud layers and different types of clouds. This means there is fundamentally no real 1:1 conversion between the two, other than completely clear skies again. It hasn't been fully explained whether that will be in the first implementation, but the new clouds are also meant to block sensors to a much higher degree, which again would break a lot of things in any circumstances where there would be some possible magical conversion from one to the other.

So sure, if you never touched the weather panel in the ME, then it's not going to cause any problems. If you did, it will.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

I wouldn't worry about that, how bad could it possibly be? The worst you'll have to do is re-create your custom missions from scratch 🙂

It's still DCS World, and if 2.7 can't cope with existing missions, then how will it deal with the massive amount of work that ED (and others!) have put into existing modules?

Ah, well, if you put it like that 🙂

The thing I'm worrying about (but not losing sleep) is that if they changed the weather, they might also have changed the API. So if you, for example have been using atmosphere.getWindWithTurbulence() somewhere, and that call breaks or responds radically different, you might be in for a nasty surprise.

It's not so much the fact that I'm worrying about unlaid eggs, it's the fact that there is no guidance on behalf of ED that's making me antsy.

• Like 1

Some module makers has said that they have prepared all missions and campaigns for 2.7 new weather. Nothing else. Meaning that they have likely required to open every mission and select proper weather for it and save it.

This is required to be done again when a new weather options comes available as then makers can adjust wanted weather to missions. 

This is nothing compared to future when a dynamic campaign system comes, as all new AI logic, RTS elements etc comes out. That likely requires to redo everything as they are already doing thousands of new voice covers for AI and all.

So if new clouds is 2.7, then new AI will be likely 3.0 level change.

But this is business as usual when you are dependent to a second party engine and all. You just need to rework if you want to keep selling stuff.

I am not worried about third party community missions and such to get broken. Load a mission, select weather template and save.

There could be a converter that will set some wanted template as batch and then have most work right. But if someone has been very specific with things.... Recheck.

But this doesn't mean that wind settings can't be converted. Just the visual look of clouds as moment. So if someone wanted to have thunderstorm or specific altitude of clouds, those are difficult to match 1:1.

Likely system can check "Cloud density 9, use template Yz", but again that likely does not help to get proper results if not using official template already.

8 minutes ago, cfrag said:

I's not so much the fact that I'm worrying about unlaid eggs, it's the fact that there is no guidance on behalf of ED that's making me antsy.

As API gets changed, question is can old things be used someway? 

And I would guess that once we get custom weather adjustments (once they are done) and API is finished, ED will document it.

Weather can be nasty when you don't have control of it 😉.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

Yeah right 🙂 

I guess so, I hope so. But I can only accept the possibility that their programmers documentation becomes.... Acceptable. But I do hope it would be well done. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team
On 4/10/2021 at 1:15 AM, dbunger said:

Yes the updater will handle the update to 2.7

please note windows 7 support stops with DCS 2.7

Thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have missions downloaded back in 1.5 that still work and I haven’t touched a thing. I would hope that ED would put something in the code that automatically sets old missions with new default weather. Meaning, If I play a single player user mission I downloaded last week from the ED website, whatever weather setting it has will automatically be converted to present the new clouds (or at least default clear skies)

id hate to think ALL of those missions would have to be manually edited