F86 radar gunsight solution incorrect

some1

Another aircraft that fails the basic gunnery test.

It is not possible to hit a target using the radar sight, even a non evading one. All bullets fly behind the target.

I set up a mission with AI set to a constant, level, 3g turn. I followed the target with a stable tracking solution, zeroed closure rate, textbook conditions, yet despite that all bullets miss. 

Track attached.

Screen_210409_223403.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-09 223536.jpg

86.trk

• Like 6

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Is this sight a full RADAR computing sight with lead compensation, or is it just a gyro sight with automatic ranging updates provided by the RADAR? Because if it's the latter, wouldn't you have to put in some lead yourself? 

This also applies to your F-5E-3 thread and your MiG-21bis thread.

EDIT: It seems the sight does calculate lead based on the attackers G.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

31 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Is this sight a full RADAR computing sight with lead compensation, or is it just a gyro sight with automatic ranging updates provided by the RADAR? Because if it's the latter, wouldn't you have to put in some lead yourself? 

In a stable tracking situation like this you don't have to apply additional lead, even with WWII gyro gunsights not equipped with radar. The K-14 sights in DCS P47 and P51 work just fine in this mission. 

Now, taking a snapshot against a target travelling in a different plane of motion, moving across your scope, that's a different matter. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Ahh okay, I edited my post as it seems the sight does compensate for lead based on your G, which if it's the same as the targets G (obviously in the same direction) as it is here, then yes, no additional lead should be required.

So yes, something is wrong with all of these gunsights.

10 minutes ago, Buzzles said:

Yes, it's been broken now for 5 years:

Discussion in this thread, as the gunsight isn't off per-se, but the bullets are too slow:

Interesting, but does this apply to the F-5E-3 and MiG-21bis too? As they all seem to have the same issue (links are above).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I don't know, I think every aircraft is a unique case that has to be investigated, so I created several bug reports. I don't know if they use some common function provided by DCS SDK, or every developer has to make something himself from scratch (and then they forgot to readjust the sights if the weapon ballistic properties are modified). 

• Like 3

some1, thanks for taking time to report this!

One of the most important systems on the F-86F not working correctly for years.

Would anyone tolerate incorrect ACM modes on Hornet or Viper? On a gunfighter platform such as the Sabre it
is extremely important that the sight works as advertised.  

It drives me totally nuts that issues like this are left unresolved when there are lots of time over to create
new WWII propellers and other stuff.

ED PLEASE FIX, WE HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH

Edited by Schmidtfire
  • Like 12

On 4/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, Schmidtfire said:

some1, thanks for taking time to report this!

One of the most important systems on the F-86F not working correctly for years.

Would anyone tolerate incorrect ACM modes on Hornet or Viper? On a gunfighter platform such as the Sabre it
is extremely important that the sight works as advertised.  

It drives me totally nuts that issues like this are left unresolved when there are lots of time over to create
new WWII propellers and other stuff.

ED PLEASE FIX, WE HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH

It's obscene how long this has taken. If this is the kind of attention gunfighters are due, WEW I have a hard time recommending the WWII side to newbies.

• Like 6

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 5:40 AM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

It's obscene how long this has taken. If this is the kind of attention gunfighters are due, WEW I have a hard time recommending the WWII side to newbies.

Absolutely agreed.

• Like 3

System:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I originally reported the pipper being off 5 years ago, I completely forgot... I hope, as you guys said, it is because of the bullets being too slow, and when that bug is fixed we'll have accurate gunnery.

In the meantime I've gotten used to further leading my target, but that's just a workaround.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 8/6/2021 at 5:44 PM, Wolf_ofthe_North said:

As someone who plays about 20 hours a week dogfighting in the F-86, my hunch is that once the bullet issue is fixed the gunsight will work. 

Assuming that happens. It's been years and they refuse to fix it. We'll get someone here claiming it didn't make the fix this time round, but I'd like to know why it's been backburnered for this long.

Until they fix it, no ED modules for me, at all.

• Like 4

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, NineLine said:

I'll give this a kick again, if it is indeed the overheating issue with the guns, then I hope that fixes both, will see where we are at on this.

My bet is, that the incorrect gunsight solution is connected to the slow bullets, which are still, since release, too slow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

On 12/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, iFoxRomeo said:

My bet is, that the incorrect gunsight solution is connected to the slow bullets, which are still, since release, too slow.

Are the slow bullets acknowledged?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

On 12/9/2021 at 5:16 PM, iFoxRomeo said:

AFAIK this also affects the F-5E and formerly, the JF-17

System:

It's unrelated to overheating, even the first burst from the guns goes way behind the target. 

Edited by some1
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 11:01 PM, Machalot said:

Are the slow bullets acknowledged?

Yes, but AFAIK nothing was done to fix it yet and the thread was closed...

Anyway, I doubt that if bullet speed will be corrected, it will fix F-86 gunsight solution. Maybe it will be a bit better , but these seem separate issues.

The bullet speed was updated to 870 or 890 as I recall. Better but not great. More importantly, the barrel warp is still way too high. You need to be able to edit the F-86.lua to change this. Knock the variables way down to near 1.0 to get more realistic distortion. Still not sure if this still works after 2.9 update. I am still on 2.7.

Edited by Squiffy
  • Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

• ED Team

Yes, overheating is the change I am looking for, its on my list to bump when the team gets back, I know you guys get tired of hearing the same thing, but I will do my best to see if its something someone can take some time to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png