New Propeller Effects and VR

twistking

Hello,

i'm very worried, that the new newsletter and video do not mention VR compability in regards to the new prop effects.

I was assuming the rework was to help with VR motion reprojection, which was an issue with the legacy prop rendering tech (on some planes), but now it seems the focus was on improving the visuals even further.

Were the new effects designed with VR in mind?

Thanks.

• Like 7

• ED Team

Hi, 

The new effect looks great in VR and the FPS is improved. We had VR in mind when we were changing it after the feedback from VR users using WWII birds and noticing frame drops. 

thanks

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Many thanks for this communitcation Wags. And what about the clouds? My PC is top notch (3090, 32GB 4000 Mhz, 5900x, Valve Index at SS 200%) I would have the same performance that I have now? How will be FPS hit in comparison with currently 2.5.6 version? Many thanks in advance for some information.

• ED Team
3 hours ago, Gryzor said:

Many thanks for this communitcation Wags. And what about the clouds? My PC is top notch (3090, 32GB 4000 Mhz, 5900x, Valve Index at SS 200%) I would have the same performance that I have now? How will be FPS hit in comparison with currently 2.5.6 version? Many thanks in advance for some information.

I dont think you will have any problems with your spec. 

best regards 

BIGNEWY 🙂

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

18 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

The new effect looks great in VR and the FPS is improved. We had VR in mind when we were changing it after the feedback from VR users using WWII birds and noticing frame drops. 

thanks

👍

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 4/12/2021 at 7:05 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

thanks

Thanks for the reply. To be honest though, i am more concerned about the ugly artifacts that were a result of MotionReprojection being unable to correctly interpret the effect. I didn't even know that the propeller had a noticeable impact on performance...
Well, i guess i'll read the early adopters feedback tomorrow😉

Edited by twistking

It looks very good to me in my initial flights in the Jug and Spit - using an Oculus Rift S. Great job ED

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

After just a quick test, The ASW artefacting in the Spitfire gunsight is fixed. 

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Since latest patch the new propeller effect is giving some retinal conflict, like if one eye sees a lighter version of the propeller dish than the other, like a whitish haze. It happens only at certain angles so normally you can see it just for a split second as you move your head. I'm not sure if this can be capture for a bug report or how. Anyone else noticing it?

Edit: it turn out to be quite easy to capture thanks to the new VR option that shows the mirror image of both eyes.

Edited by average_pilot

I notice this most when the mission time of day is early or late, when the Sun is low(er) in the sky. Seems when the light hits the prop close to or at a perpendicular angle it’ll flash and flicker as I look from side to side across the plane’s nose. It happens whether viewed from the pit or externally. Certain rpm ranges seem to have an effect as well, and when I’m lucky I can find a sweet spot in my power settings that’ll make it go away. That’s the only workaround I’ve found so far and it’s not a very good one.

• Thanks 1