Just ordered a new computer. Will it run DCS?

Dell G5 Desktop, NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6, 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700F processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 2.9GHz to 4.8GHz), 128GB  M.2 PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA 7200RPM HDD 3.5", 16GB, 1x16GB, DDR4, 2933MHz

I am not a serious gamer. I have been with DCS for more than 10 years and have always had just enough hardware power to run the game. So this setup (although not a serious one for many of you) is very much an upgrade from my old i5 2.5Ghz Quad core and my Nvidia 660Ti. 

I do not use VR, I use Track IR. So my question is: How much better off am I? I was at the point with the old computer that I couldn't really play without deadly low FPS, and Dubai wasn't even an option.

I use my computer for work mostly but I still want to have my guilty DCS pleasure. Any input on what I might need or how well this will perform is appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Well it definitely will run DCS @ 1080P but the one pressing thisg I see is the RAM you should get 2 stick Not 1 as the RAM is dual channel and will suffer performance loss with only 1 ram chip..

Also I would put DCS All on the SSD, a Platter drive will kill performance in DCS..

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus / Intel i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz / Coolermaster 212x / Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB / Asus 1080GTX OC / G. Skill RipJaws 32GB RAM 3200MHZ XMP PRofile / Samsung Odyssey Plus VR / HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker game simulation

Should def run much better than your old rig.  As far as storage, I agree an SSD is far better, but I got decent performance on a mechanical drive until I got an SSD to dedicate to DCS.  Depending on your content 128 may not be nearly enough.

8 GB RAM is marginal to play DCS, consider a 32 GB kit to replace what you have, but do not simply add to it, RAM chips can change from batch to batch even with the exact same model and you'll take the risk to have booting failures because of incompatibility.

Buy a new 32 GB RAM kit and sell this one.

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX 7B86vHB1(Beta version) BIOS, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 CL14, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS. My G2 is DEAD, I'll get VR again when headsets will be better.

M-2000C. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. MiG-29 "Fulcrum". 

Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes.

Should be fine. I would replace the HDD for a SATA SSD and sell the 16GB RAM Module and buy 2 x 8GB or 2 x16GB in Dualchannel. The NVME Drive is only good as a boot drive. Windows will fill it up in no time. 

Rainer

This may be interesting to you

Heed RAM comments.

Should be a perfectly serviceable machine at 1080 or maybe even 1440 with the simpler flights/missions and aircraft.

Larger NVME/SSD is definitely worth doing. If it were me, Windows + Pagefile on the M.2 SSD, get another M.2 drive for DCS, use the installed HDD for everything else non-game related.

Edited by reece146