Disappointed in Winwing....

BigBen_JM

So I bought both the Taurus and the Libra. I do play Start Wars Squadrons with friends so I started with that. As SWS has a bug where you can not assign a button to drift I wanted to assign a keyboard key to one of the buttons on my WinWing.

I did not succeed. I have 25 year experience in IT (both systems as programming) but I have not been able to assign a key to a button on a joystick that costed me 1000 Euro !!!!

I have searched but I cannot find anything online, there is no documentation for the simapppro at all.

Even the functionality for DCS I do not understand. Yes I can bind all buttons in DCS itself which is fine but what does the cloud download do ? How can I make a macro or assign a keyboard key to a button ? This seems like basic functionality to me.

People complain about Thrustmaster Target software but I had no problem at all using it just by playing with it for 10 minutes.

I hope somebody can help otherwise I regret buying Winwing.

DCS supports assignment of buttons for keys used in game.  If you're unsure how to do that, have a scan on youtube, there's plenty of videos.

If you want to have a key press that isn't part of DCS functionality, that can easily be done using say voiceattack.

Have to say that I'm a little confused why you even mention WW, when clearly this is a user knowledge issue.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

@Mr_sukebe did you even read my post ? I said I can assign buttons in DCS but anymore advanced configuration is impossible. I understand I can use other software tools to do what I want (joystick gremlin for example). The reason I mention Winwing is because this is a  Winwing issue.

Is it stupid to expect a manual for 1000 euro kit ?

You might expect a manual for $1000 euro, but I'm surprised that anyone would want to actually read a joystick manual unless it's about how to do mechanical adjustments.

Winwing and Thrustmaster joysticks are "dumb" input devices in the same way.

They simply send on/off button or axis values to a standard joystick interface. 

You need to do what everyone else does which is to use software like Gremlin, Helios, DCS-BIOS, FreePIE or DCS-BIOS to do any sort of control logic.

In my experience, Target software is total garbage.

It took me 10 years, but I have perfected my control inputs which includes several devices, including MIDI surfaces in my "pit"

Python scripting with FreePIE and vJoy is optimal to me and I've tried everything. It works with any sort of control input.

All of my planes are scripted how I like and I never have to mess with Target or anything. Just jump in and fly.

• Like 1

ASUS Z390 / Intel i7-9700K / 32 GB DDR4 / 1080Ti / HP Reverb 2 / Thrustmaster WH&TPR

Heath and Allen Zedi8 / TrackIR / Momo USB monitor / Akai MPD218

I don’t remember having any trouble with that game including drifting using any of my gear, and I have zero IT experiences (don’t see any correlation).  These are standard Windows HID peripherals and should behave like any other joysticks or throttles.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

@BigBen_JMIf you cannot understand the functionality of DCS World maybe you should read the manuals.

Why should DCS World have functionality to assign a keyboard key to a button? You can bind buttons directly to commands; no need to emulate keyboard button presses.

And DCS World is a sim, not an arcade game and it's not designed to let you implement macros that would give you an unfair advantage in combat.

Having said that, DCS World does provide macros that automate the lengthy start-up sequence, and although I'm not an IT professional I have built on that to create macros that do not amount to cheats.

Last not least, if you have problems using the WinWing controllers with Star Wars Squadrons, I suggest you post your questions on the appropriate forum. This forum is for WinWing in the context of DCS World.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

From what I can see, OP knows he can program it in DCS, but is asking how to program the bindings in WinWing's SimAppPro.

I actually have the same question as I get the impression that the controls editor is not there yet, at least for these panels I got (I remember seeing "coming soon" when I clicked on manual bindings option or whatever it's called like).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

@DudikoffThat is indeed exactly what I mean. I do not understand were all the negative comments come from, it seems people did not truly read my post....

I have to say I love my new setup from a hardware point of view. This is a huge step better  thank the Thrustmaster Warthog in my opinion.

Edited by BigBen_JM

Again, the question is 'how to create binding profiles in SimAppPro instead of just downloading those that somebody else made from the cloud'.

It is not 'how to create bindings directly in the DCS controller settings'.

It shouldn't be this hard to ask a simple question..

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Have the same issue, I went the avenue of using xpadder which is similar to other joy controllers. 

Amazed at all the negative comments, seems most don't know how to go beyond the basics of their hardware. 

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

First off there is a Manuel go to website and click on there download link and you will find Manuel's for what your looking for there.    I have the same setup as you but also use there panels I have not had this issue setting up key binding's for any setting in DCS the only issue I have is this LUA bs and its not just WINWINGS Fault here Vaicom Pro and SRS also use LUA files which can make your life a living hell!!!!!!   You would think that the creators of these programs would do some research and testing to make sure there SHIZ is compatible with other devices which is something lacking 100% with DCS right now in my opinion and I would say 90% of others who have had LUA file issues also feel this way.    

So not sure what the exact problem all setting in DCS can be set to a switch button for each device just make sure you click on the correct window for device remember the Throttle is TWO PANELS IN ONE.   Inside your DCS Control settings you will see that one Tab says WinWing Start up Panel that well be all the switch's and knobs located off the Throttle itself, an it well say WinWing Throttle and Grips if you have Joystick and panels you will also find each tab for those devices in setting which I am sure you guys know.     If you updated the game 2.7 your going to find that control settings are going to be all jacked up your best beat is to clear and reload if you have them saved if not sorry but you might have to reset them all.   I myself have had to do this which I just uninstalled all apps and game and did full reinstall of everything just to make sure we have no corrupted files or Lua Files.   Again guys you can set up every bidding you could need from the dcs control settings, I will try to get on here tomorrow and give you guys the information to use SIMAPP similar to the way people used Target and what not but I have heard that a lot of issues can happen because the lua files have a issue getting the lines changed which causes issues for the whole dam game, I myself can not confirm or deny but I will sure as hell try my best to help you fix this issue.   

So if your trying to do a key binding like you would for a target program at the top of the SIMAPP you will see 4 tabs Device, Virtual Device Mapping, Add-on and Key-Bindings,  Click on Virtual device mapping once you do this you will se another page open under the device pictures you will see Next Step then Next Step again this brings you to the Key binding section for each winwing device you just now need to click on the which device your setting up and then click the Binding Tab and start setting them up how you need. 

Hope this helps the people looking for this information!

Edited by Gumbie
  • Like 1

Once you click binding press the key switch or axis you wish to use then press ok, at this point you want to clink Settings Cog on the binding you just setup and tell it what to do for that switch button or axis,  this is the best I can explain it with out doing a video and if it comes down to it and you guys still having issues please message me PM and Ill try and get a video out for you guys.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, BigBen_JM said:

So I bought both the Taurus and the Libra. I do play Start Wars Squadrons with friends so I started with that. As SWS has a bug where you can not assign a button to drift I wanted to assign a keyboard key to one of the buttons on my WinWing.

I did not succeed. I have 25 year experience in IT (both systems as programming) but I have not been able to assign a key to a button on a joystick that costed me 1000 Euro !!!!

I have searched but I cannot find anything online, there is no documentation for the simapppro at all.

Even the functionality for DCS I do not understand. Yes I can bind all buttons in DCS itself which is fine but what does the cloud download do ? How can I make a macro or assign a keyboard key to a button ? This seems like basic functionality to me.

People complain about Thrustmaster Target software but I had no problem at all using it just by playing with it for 10 minutes.

I hope somebody can help otherwise I regret buying Winwing.

Hi.

I don t have that particular joystick, but I think this link can give some kind of help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z84mg16Efk .

Btw, I checked in SWS and I had zero problem to assign a button of my X52Pro to skid. Maybe it is an issue with that particular joystick, can t tell...

Saludos.

Saca111

3 hours ago, Gumbie said:

Once you click binding press the key switch or axis you wish to use then press ok, at this point you want to clink Settings Cog on the binding you just setup and tell it what to do for that switch button or axis,  this is the best I can explain it with out doing a video and if it comes down to it and you guys still having issues please message me PM and Ill try and get a video out for you guys.

Thanks for your effort, but you seem to be describing how to program the WW controllers in DCS. 

Again, I know how to do this and I'm asking how to do it via SimAppPro as then I don't have this issue where dcs updates break the mappings. 

On 4/18/2021 at 2:10 PM, Dudikoff said:

Thanks for your effort, but you seem to be describing how to program the WW controllers in DCS. 

Again, I know how to do this and I'm asking how to do it via SimAppPro as then I don't have this issue where dcs updates break the mappings. 

Hi.

If the problem is "DCS brakes the mapping", can t you try to save the profile for EACH controller you have, and after "update breake" just select the intended controller, delete the mapping and load the saved one. To me it works after any "update breaking".

Saludos. 

Saca111

P.S.

1  Don t forget to save every controller separatelly, with a specific name for it.

2 By the way, after saving the profiles, make a backup copy of them in a drive/cloud server.

Ok so this is all done on the SIMAPP Program going to do this in steps. 

Step1:  Run SimApp

Step2:  Click on Virtual device Mapping.

Step3: Click the Left White/blue Cross for Virtual Device Mapping,   Right side is for Curve Adjustments (can be done after binding are setup)

(Picture of this page at bottom)

Step4: Make sure all devices you plan to Use have the Check mark in box and press Next step

Step5: This page is for Mode setting can come back to it at anytime you wish to set a mode binding,  Skip this part and Press Next step again.

Sttep6:  Now your on the Key binding page ( White page on left and devices list on top right side)  

Step7: Click on the Device on top right you wish to setup.  Press the Binding then pick the switch or axis for that device you wish to setup

(Page looks like this)

Screenshot (18).png

Step8: Setup all your Bindings and Axis for the Device and save.

Step9: Your done now just make sure to Run Virtual Mapping ( will say Run Status: Not Running if off! can see this at top of this page under Virtual Device Mapping TAB )

Screenshot (19).png

This is how you setup key binding outside of a game hope this helps.   Best I can do with out doing a Video.

Edited by Gumbie
Added pictures and ended steps.
  • Thanks 1

I've actually seen this, but thought I'm on the wrong track as there were some per-device key binding options marked as 'coming soon'.

So, by running a profile made here, this would actually combine all the WinWing devices as one virtual device as seen by e.g. DCS (kind of like what Target does)?

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2021 at 7:25 PM, Gumbie said:

Step8: Setup all your Bindings and Axis for the Device and save.

I'm finally getting around this, but I can only bind the buttons to "Virtual buttons" with IDs from 1 to 100 and whatever. How do I bind them to a combination of key presses?

Is there another place where these Virtual Buttons can be mapped to key presses or something?

It's also idiotic that you can download someone's profile, but can't customize it. How do you 'create these profiles from game files'?

Edited by Dudikoff

• 2 months later...

I'm disappointed with winwing too, and I don't even have one.

The reason is I looked at the shipping cost and its over $300 US to ship to my location, which is more like 400 in leafbucks.  So no super taurus for me unless winwing ever gets NA distributing or a sane shipping cost.

Also for OP you can use autohotkey to absolutely anything you want when it comes to binding keys to controllers.  It's very powerful and useful if you get into scripting for it.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:47 AM, FeistyLemur said:

I'm disappointed with winwing too, and I don't even have one.

The reason is I looked at the shipping cost and its over $300 US to ship to my location, which is more like 400 in leafbucks.  So no super taurus for me unless winwing ever gets NA distributing or a sane shipping cost.

Also for OP you can use autohotkey to absolutely anything you want when it comes to binding keys to controllers.  It's very powerful and useful if you get into scripting for it.

Yes, they refused to ship via Fedex to my country and quoted me 420 USD for shipping via alternate carrier. I ended up buying a used Taurus from Facebook.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 4 months later...

This really is some thread. If there actually were documentation for SimApp Pro (which there certainly is not), I doubt that some of the above posters would not be able to read it (they can't seem to understand the simple question at the start of this thread).

That said, the virtual mapping is the functionality that needs to be used here, but is a problem for me from the start, because it requires yet another application (vJoy) which I can't get to work at all, and documentation for this is just as FUBAR.

In the end, Winwing's hardware is top shelf, and I'll be getting more pieces as they roll out, but they might consider hiring someone to actually finish SimApp Pro (which seems to have some real promise) before losing return custom from users that love the hardware but are frustrated by the constants of a poor software interface.

(/rant off)