Jump to content

What is the difference between Stored INS align and Normal INS align in the F-16C Viper?


Recommended Posts

What is the difference between Stored INS align and Normal INS align in the F-16C Viper? I'm asking because I noticed that it takes much longer to align normal INS than Stored and I wanted to know what the difference is. 

Spoiler

Comic sans ftw

Thanks to everyone who responds!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stored alignment is a prepared alignment. Someone comes before, starts airplane, does alignment, then shuts down airplane without moving it. Then you come along and used that saved info to align a lot faster.

 

A big part of alignment is called gyrocompassing which is figuring out which direction you are facing by letting the Earth turn and watching the gyros. Different headings have different motions while stuck to the spinning Earth ball. Stored heading isn't as good as a normal alignment in some ways because the longer align allows finer calibration of some velocities but it's nearly as good and since it's GPS-coupled normally it will never be noticeable.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eggitheegg said:

Okay, thanks for this information! 👍

You asked a good question, but I would just like to give some constructive feedback -- that font is hard to read, especially in red. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP:

Asks a good question ✅

Uses comic sans ✅

 

Like factor: 8/10 (could have used different colors for each character)

  • Like 2

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

 

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 32 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

OP:

Asks a good question ✅

Uses comic sans ✅

 

Like factor: 8/10 (could have used different colors for each character)

Hm, for me it's not Comic Sans, it's a very stylized cursive. Maybe a smart phone font issue? 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Machalot said:

Hm, for me it's not Comic Sans, it's a very stylized cursive. Maybe a smart phone font issue? 

 

🙂 might be your phone simply banned that font.

 

image.png

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

 

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 32 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Machalot said:

You asked a good question, but I would just like to give some constructive feedback -- that font is hard to read, especially in red. 

 

Come to the dark side - it's fine there (apart from the comic sans).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

 

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

 

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Machalot said:

 

Here's what I see:

Screenshot_20210408-121412_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20210408-121429_DuckDuckGo.jpg

 

Here's What Internet Sensation 'Side-Eyeing Chloe' Looks Like Now - LADbible

 

(yep, that went off topic quickly 🙂)


Edited by Desert Fox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

 

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 32 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Machalot said:

 

Here's what I see:

Screenshot_20210408-121412_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20210408-121429_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I saw the same.

  • Like 1

Twitch Channel

 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

 

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 9:16 AM, Frederf said:

Stored alignment is a prepared alignment. Someone comes before, starts airplane, does alignment, then shuts down airplane without moving it. Then you come along and used that saved info to align a lot faster.

 

A big part of alignment is called gyrocompassing which is figuring out which direction you are facing by letting the Earth turn and watching the gyros. Different headings have different motions while stuck to the spinning Earth ball. Stored heading isn't as good as a normal alignment in some ways because the longer align allows finer calibration of some velocities but it's nearly as good and since it's GPS-coupled normally it will never be noticeable.

It is worth while to add/clarify that you cannot move from the coordinates entered for the original alignment. You have to stand still from the very moment you go INS knob - NORM to when you do the scramble start and do INS knob - STOR HDG. For this reason you cannot do an EIA (enhanced interrupted alignment), and for that reason you can only ever achieve status 10 in stored heading. It is also important to mention that even though our INS is constantly getting corrected for drift by the GPS (GPS does not calibrate the INS mid-flight, it only removes drift), we will still notice a bad INS alignment because our INS never knows its groundspeed perfectly and so our radar will have reduces efficiency the worse the alignment quality is because the accelerometers aren't calibrated precisely. The radar will have reduces efficiency because with false ground speed it will have a harder time figuring out what is ground. The radar does not have any fancy functions to remove ground clutter and requires INS to do be able to get rid of ground clutter. For that reason if you have time you will always do an EIA where you will increase INS alignment quality and as a result will get better radar performance. The INS temporarily stores data (like drift) after each flight, and remembers it for follow up flights, don't know the exact number of flights, but I'd guess that it's no more than 100. This means that if you've done multiple good alignments you can do one really bad alignment and you won't really notice much different, but if you keep doing bad alignments over and over again you will notice a degrade in FCR efficiency. Because of this though you will in most cases never have any big INS issues when doing STOR HDG.

In summary, what Frederf said is mostly correct with the little exception that bad INS alignments will be noticeable even with GPS.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...