Mid flight getting booted into WMR

Burt

Actually mid fight, I was in a BFM server and fighting someone and all of a sudden in mid air I was booted off the scene and into WMR room. Any clue why ? Is there something I need to disable.

thanks

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

was DCS still running, if not just a random crash to desktop ... at a guess

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

My setup will do this at random times if I launch the needed apps in the "incorrect" order.

To avoid this I first launch WMR for steamVR (which then should launch SteamVR), then DCS.

I have frequent issues with SteamVR crashing, or thinking it crashed as I will be flying along then hear that tone from Steam only to see an on screen message "Steam VR crashed the last time is was launched. Would you like to try it again?" (or something to that effect.)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

52 minutes ago, Sr. said:

My setup will do this at random times if I launch the needed apps in the "incorrect" order.

To avoid this I first launch WMR for steamVR (which then should launch SteamVR), then DCS.

I have frequent issues with SteamVR crashing, or thinking it crashed as I will be flying along then hear that tone from Steam only to see an on screen message "Steam VR crashed the last time is was launched. Would you like to try it again?" (or something to that effect.)

That is same way I launch everything , a crash of Steam VR or WMR is a very rare thing for me. I run the beta of both.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

was DCS still running, if not just a random crash to desktop ... at a guess

Yes DCS was still running looking at the monitor, my hdm went directly in WMR room, never had that happen before.

Thanks !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

16 hours ago, Sr. said:

How do you make this work?

When I turn my G2 on, regular WMR launches automatically. If I run WMR for SteamVR before turning on my G2, it launches WMR and SteamVR, but SteamVR stalls with "Headset not detected, and asks me if I want to reset it.

To be honest, I don't see any issue with launch order. I used to launch WMR and them DCS from a WMR desktop, however, now that I always use Necksafer, it will only launch from SteamVR, so now I launch WMR, then SteamVR, and launch NeckSafer, Voice Attack and then DCS from the SteamVR Desktop.

I've never been dropped out of DCS mid flight

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Wmr for steamVr... is a separate program.  

that said I always load wmr, and then use skatezilla’s utility from the wmr house, which launches a script to launch everything else, including for necksafer, voiceattack and target in my case...

the launch order can be important, as sometimes wmr doesn’t get the z axis , if you don’t go through the full range of movement in wmr.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Yes, I understand that, but running it instead of regular WMR just seems to launch WMR and SteamVR. I've always assumed that WMR for Steam VR was just some sort of WMR plugin which allows SteamVR to run from WMR, so presumably it gets called anyway when you launch Steam VR from within WMR.

I've never tried Skatezilla's utility.  Might give it a try, thanks.

Edited by ShaunX

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

yes essentially you are correct regarding WMR for SteamVR, well sort of.  

Also note that some of the apps, voice attack for example require admin privs to run which will through a UAC prompt casuing WMR to go black to resolve this you need to do this:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html

I run a script to detect if it is already running and then execute the particular scheduled  task in question:

@echo off
:: NAME:    DCSScripts.bat
:: DATE:    05-APR-2021
:: AUTHOR:    STUART ASTON
:: VERSION:    1.2
:: SOURCE:    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/162291/how-to-check-if-a-process-is-running-via-a-batch-script
:: 
::Change the name of "notepad.exe" to the process .exe that you're trying to track
::Process names are CASE SENSITIVE, so notepad.exe works but Notepad.exe does NOT
::Do not change IMAGENAME
::You can Copy and Paste this into an empty batch file and change the name of
::notepad.exe to the process you'd like to track
::Also, some large programs take a while to no longer show as not running, so
::give this batch a few seconds timer to avoid a false result!!

SETLOCAL EnableExtensions
:: Detects if SteamVR is already running
:SteamVR
set EXE=vrmonitor.exe
FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE% goto SteamVRFound

goto SteamVRNotFound

:SteamVRFound
echo %EXE% is running
goto VRNeckSafer

:SteamVRNotFound
echo %EXE% is not running 

echo Starting SteamVR 

start "" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\tools.vrmanifest"

timeout /T 5 > nul
goto VRNeckSafer

:: Detects IF VR Neck Safer is already running and if not it will run it.
:VRNeckSafer

timeout /T 10 > nul

set EXE=VRNeckSafer.exe

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE% goto VRNeckSaferFound

goto VRNeckSaferNotFound

:VRNeckSaferFound

echo %EXE% is running
goto Target

:VRNeckSaferNotFound
D:
cd "D:\Games\VR Neck Safer"
start "" "D:\Games\VR Neck Safer\VRNeckSafer.exe"
goto Target

:: Detects if TargetGUI is already running, and if not will run target, the disable the store, and then minimise TARGETGUI 
:Target
set EXE=TARGETGUI.exe

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE% goto TargetFound

goto TargetNotFound

:TargetFound

echo %EXE% is running
goto VoiceAttack

:TargetNotFound
start /min C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "Run Latest DCS TARGET Script"
timeout /T 1 > nul

:WinStore.App
set EXE=WinStore.App.exe

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE% goto WinStore.AppFound

goto WinStore.AppNotFound

:WinStore.AppFound

C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /f /im WinStore.App.exe

goto MinimiseTarget

:WinStore.AppNotFound

goto MinimiseTarget

:MinimiseTarget
start /min C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "MinimiseTargetGUI"

goto VoiceAttack

:: Detects if VoiceAttack is already running, and if not will run VA, if it is it will kill the process and restart it, mainly to deal with some anomolies on headset speaker detection within VA
:VoiceAttack
set EXE=VoiceAttack.exe

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE% goto VoiceAttackFound

goto VoiceAttackNotFound

:VoiceAttackFound

echo %EXE% is running
C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "KillVoiceAttack"
timeout /T 10 > nul

goto VoiceAttackNotFound

:VoiceAttackNotFound
C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "VoiceAttack"
REM timeout /T 5 > nul
REM C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "MinimiseVoiceAttack"

goto END

:END
echo Finished!

timeout /T 10 > nul

I use nircmd to minimise windows, but it also has to run as admin as its trying to minimise a window thats running as admin.

Edited by speed-of-heat

3 hours ago, ShaunX said:

How do you make this work?

When I turn my G2 on, regular WMR launches automatically. If I run WMR for SteamVR before turning on my G2, it launches WMR and SteamVR, but SteamVR stalls with "Headset not detected, and asks me if I want to reset it.

To be honest, I don't see any issue with launch order. I used to launch WMR and them DCS from a WMR desktop, however, now that I always use Necksafer, it will only launch from SteamVR, so now I launch WMR, then SteamVR, and launch NeckSafer, Voice Attack and then DCS from the SteamVR Desktop.

I've never been dropped out of DCS mid flight

Hmmm

Maybe because I never turn my G2 off. I just leave it hanging off the side of my chair. 

It will launch WMR and start in the pavilion if I lift the headset and put it against my face, otherwise it sits there idle and dark.

When I'm finished with a gaming session, I close WMR & SteamVR closes with it. I usually leave Steam itself running as I also play Rocket League via Steam.

Though my DCS is stand alone install.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

10 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Hmmm

Maybe because I never turn my G2 off. I just leave it hanging off the side of my chair. 

It will launch WMR and start in the pavilion if I lift the headset and put it against my face, otherwise it sits there idle and dark.

When I'm finished with a gaming session, I close WMR & SteamVR closes with it. I usually leave Steam itself running as I also play Rocket League via Steam.

Though my DCS is stand alone install.

Ah, makes sense.

Coincidently, I rewatched "No Country for Old Men" last night and so just realised what your profile picture is. Nice 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

yes essentially you are correct regarding WMR for SteamVR, well sort of.  

Also note that some of the apps, voice attack for example require admin privs to run which will through a UAC prompt casuing WMR to go black to resolve this you need to do this:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html

I run a script to detect if it is already running and then execute the particular scheduled  task in question:

I use nircmd to minimise windows, but it also has to run as admin as its trying to minimise a window thats running as admin.

Very nice, I will have a play with that thanks.

I already have Voice Attack on a shortcut to a one-off scheduled task with admin access (I think it was you that suggested it actually). Keep meaning to create one for OvGME.

I don't use Target as I find I can use Voice Attack to set 2 and 3 way Warthog switches with keyboard commands. I have a top level VA profile for each aircraft with the VIACOM profile daisychained off each one and a generic DCS commands profile daisy chained off the VIACOM one. Works perfectly. Also have voice commands to switch top level profiles.

Some of this stuff is way over my head but I may have had both WMR running at the same time. How I start everything is

1. Power up G2 and then WMR boots up then I close it out. 
2. Sign in to Steam then open up SteamVR beta, Fpsvr and WMR beta all boot up the same time.

3. Make adjustments in SteamVR settings and enable DCS. 
4. launch DCS.

I think what happened is that I had both WMR running. Every time I forget to close WMR after powering up the G2 I seem to get a crash. 

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

27 minutes ago, Burt said:

Some of this stuff is way over my head but I may have had both WMR running at the same time. How I start everything is

1. Power up G2 and then WMR boots up then I close it out. 
2. Sign in to Steam then open up SteamVR beta, Fpsvr and WMR beta all boot up the same time.

3. Make adjustments in SteamVR settings and enable DCS. 
4. launch DCS.

I think what happened is that I had both WMR running. Every time I forget to close WMR after powering up the G2 I seem to get a crash. 

Wmr is meant to run ... always when your g2 is running... but your sequence is wrong

Wmr

headset on

Launch dcs, and steamvr will automatically fire up,

then you can launch fpsvr 

Oh, will I'm running WMR beta ? I have always thought that we should run the beta version. Both steamvr and WMR are running.

Well I'll have to check this out when I'm home. Thanks SoH !

Start Date April 2020 

There are three apps...

wmr 

wmr for steam vr (beta) .. this the bridge between steam and wmr

steam vr (beta)

firing wmr and the steam will auto launch wmr for steam vr, and launching a steam for game will also launch the apps as well...

in theory you could launch the app and everything would fire up, though sometimes you loose head z axis likemthat

• Thanks 1

The process I use and always seems to work fine for me:

Power on G2, when WMR starts automatically I then close it.

Launch WMR for Steam VR Beta - this also launches Steam and Steam VR ( I am running beta as well).

Put headset on top of head.

Launch DCS.

Lower headset and re-center with DCS ( have button assigned to re-center in UI layer).

Fly mission.

When I exit, I then close Steam VR and then close WMR for Steam VR.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

exactly what I'm doing too. (per Don's startup process)

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Although I use the same start up sequence WMR portal, then, DCS, this works perfectly most of the time, but I do get a crash as described by the OP now and again......

I just put it down to the fact that there are several interfacing programs at work and being software, it’s inevitably going to fall over now and again.......

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I also unplug/power off my G2 from the little black box when I’m done. I’ll be looking in on some kind switch control. Thanks for the input, everything is running very well now and loving the 2.7 update.

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

I also unplug/power off my G2 from the little black box when I’m done. I’ll be looking in on some kind switch control. Thanks for the input, everything is running very well now and loving the 2.7 update.

Fwiw I use  a powered USB 3 hub with individual on/off switches and that is how I turn my G2 on and off.

Powered meaning it has it's own ac adapter.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

Yup thats exactly what I need to do, Thanks Don !

Start Date April 2020